For Sale 78' FJ40 - Clean with V8 conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

78' FJ40 - Clean with V8 conversion - Now only $12,000!

I have a 78 FJ40 that I am selling due to job security concerns. She is a V8 conversion with electric fuel pump but is very clean, straight, and rust free outside of that. There are a couple after market gages (temp, pressure, RPM). She has the jump seats. Also have lock boxes that can go in place of either, none, or both jump seats. Marine grade radio in glove box. Only negatives I can think of are ugly headliner area (which I'm told is an under $200 headliner fix), and some steering slop. Gas tank looks new. Odo says 65k but not sure if there is a 1 in front of that or not as I don't have vehicle history back that far. Looking at the vehicle I would think not. She is more of a mustard/brownish yellow but the pictures do make it look more of a bright yellow for some reason.

I had asked for pricing info previously and here is the thread which has more pictures and some more info:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/469359-fj40-pricing.html

I had not been a long time cruiser head so don't beat me up if I left something important out, just ask :)!

I'm looking to get $12,000

Last edited:
First let me apologize for not being very responsive to those that have emailed or PM'd. To be honest, I am used to selling things where I usually only have one person interested at a time and between checking the Mud, web based mail, and POP based mail (downloaded from web server), I'm having a hard time telling everyone apart and being able to access all emails at any given time:confused:.

I guess at this point Jamie had the best idea and just give what I know (and don't know) about the cruiser.

The problem I have is that I have not owned the cruiser too long and I got it from a family member who does not have much info on it. I was told the cruiser came from somewhere out west, has a 69 Chevy Camaro motor in it, and has mostly original paint. I unfortunately have no other history knowledge than that. To me, while it looks like it does have some original paint, some of it does look too new to be original but that is just my honest observation. I would have to say the color is certainly the original color as I have never seen a stitch of any other color on her. I do not have any information on when and how the motor was rebuilt last. I do know she has a new rear main, oil pan gasket, intake manifold gasket, and valve cover gaskets from trying to isolate and fix the oil leak referenced in another thread (which eventually was successful). I also know it is a two bolt main motor from having the oil pan off. The motor has a Holley 4 barrel electric choke carb and an electric fuel pump. It does not look like a mechanical pump can be fixed to it due to the location of one of the motor mounts. In getting new plug wires for her I did find out the distributor is electronic which was not stock on a 69 Camaro. With the choke properly set (one pump of pedal when cold), she starts right up. I am told the rest of the transmission is stock though I have not researched it to say %100. Hopefully I have a pic on here where someone can speak to that. It is a 4 speed. Even with the Chevy 350, cruising speed is comfortable around 50mph. I have been told this is just how these rigs are geared but once again, have nothing to compare it to. I do not know who did the conversion to V8. I have a 'Hurst' (I assume it is the same Hurst company that does the shifters and such) manual for the conversion and WAS TOLD it was based on that manual. I occasionally drive it to work and back home which is ~30 miles round trip. I have not taken her any farther than that simply because she has been a toy to me and never had a reason to drive her further. I am aware the wheels are not stock but they are all I have. I have also been made aware that the front bumper is not stock for what that is worth. The frame is extremely solid and only has minor surface rust from what I see laying under the vehicle with a shop light. The body is very solid with no evidence of any real body filler being used. I have tapped all around the quarters and all and it sounds like nothing but metal to me. There are no rot holes in her and all surfaces I see are very straight and smooth. The only area that has what can be described as anything more than surface rust is the under lip of the hood which I have attached a picture of. It looks to be mostly just some old pitting and I don't see any true bubbling or flaking of rust there. The heater is in the vehicle and from what I can tell does work. I do not see any leaking when operated.

Hopefully I have provided a pinch more info. If I know it for a fact, I will tell you. Otherwise I well tell you I don't know or am not sure and give you all the information I have that you may need to make a determination. I will be happy to take any additional pictures requested within reason (as I can only post but so many I believe).

As far as shipping, I will be willing to be available to accommodate a buyers transportation company once the vehicle has been paid for in full and funds have been confirmed. Payment regardless of pickup method will need to be done with certified bank funds.

Please don't read any tone of frustration in this post, the only thing frustrating is trying to get it all done during lunch break at work.:rolleyes:.

If I have forgotten to email you a specific picture or get back with you with any information not addressed here, keep trying me. I promise I am not ignoring you :cheers:.

Thanks again for any and all interest.

P.S. I have included a picture of the exhaust manifold appendage in question. It looks to be hose clamped around the manifold with no hole in the manifold. Still have no idea what the purpose may have been at one point :meh:.

Last edited:
Few more pics inside rear quarters and under floor mats in front.

Last edited:
Few more pics showing underside/frame and under carpet in back

NOTE: The drip pans and such in the one picture were more for when I was working with the coolant and the oil on the wood was from when parking right after the oil leak problem which has since been fixed. She now sits over a solid sheet drip pan which stays clean.

Last edited:
Great looking rig....Maybe that pipe was used to help install the engine?????

Thanks for the compliments on the Rig! I'll add taking the strange 'pipe' to my list of small things to do to the cruiser. I still need to get the passenger seat back in.

If things calm down for me (work and home) I may have to order a headliner and pop her on ebay but that is a little time from now anyway. Still need to find time to read up on selling a vehicle on ebay.

Great looking rig....Maybe that pipe was used to help install the engine?????

Bump for a nice rig!!

still for sale? how firm are you on the price. feel free to PM me, my vehicle will be gone in the next week or so and I'm still interested in the 40.

thanks,

john in lynchburg

man based on my experiene on ebay and other crap selling places you will get 10k to 15k for damn sure brother...put it on ebay as a forum member said you will fetch minimal 10k for damn sure. Thats a 'clean' v8 transplant...damn.

One time price reduction!

O.K., here it is! I talked it over some with the wife and we thought about what the absolute least we would take for the cruiser. If I put it on Ebay, my reserve would have been $12,000 so that is what I will put the price at here.

$12,000 takes it! Bring me $11,000 and all you will get is :flipoff2: (just a heads up;))

You can email me at:SCRATS@COMCAST.NET as I don't get the chance to check the mud like I used to.

Thanks again for all the interest to date....

Last edited:
If you have that kind of a reserve on it, it will not sell. You know I would not try to come across as a dick, because I've been curious about this rig since it was first posted. Over the last few months, I have checked out many FJ40s and a good amount of them have been in better condition (ie less rust, EFI SBC, better suspension, etc) and those are selling around $9500 or so.

Not trying to play Debbie Downor, just being realistic.

If you have that kind of a reserve on it, it will not sell. You know I would not try to come across as a dick, because I've been curious about this rig since it was first posted. Over the last few months, I have checked out many FJ40s and a good amount of them have been in better condition (ie less rust, EFI SBC, better suspension, etc) and those are selling around $9500 or so.

This isn't chat, this is a for sale thread. Quite hijacking his post and delete your comment. If you wanna take it to chat I will gladly meet you there.:flipoff2:

portfolio-248083451-how-about-no.jpg

There has been no foul here and Hoz, I appreciate you sticking up for my rig. The thing about the internet and selling things is everyone has different ideas about what something is worth. If you saw this rig in person I believe you would feel a little different about the 'rust' statement. I have recently seen one that was a 'frame off' (believe it is still for sale here) that you can see active rust stains running out of the cracks between panels and such yet people seem to love it.

I have told others that have replied to my recent price reduction, I was padding my 'bottom dollar' a pinch as people always want a deal and get something off. It became clear that my 'firm price' of $13,500 was not getting the interest i was wanting. I decided not to 'play the game' and try flat out giving my bottom dollar to see if I would get more interest. At less than $12,000 it is not worth getting rid of at this time. I would rather give the economy and the market time to change before I let it go for $9500 or something like that. If that take a year or two, so be it. After all, it is a fun old FJ and I still enjoy her.

Opinions on the internet are just that and nothing more......I don't take them personal.

No Worries VA. Your right everyone's entitled to their opinion. This is your for sale thread. Personally I would have deleted his comment. His sig line doesn't list a rig so its easy for him to be a critic when he doesn't have a 40, has never built a 40. $12k is fair coin for this truck. GL with the sale.

Phil it looks like a great looking rig. I think $12k is a fair price. If I had liquid cash instead of money tied up in rebuilding my rig I would be on my way down to VA with a trailer. Good luck with the sale.

Maybe Debbie Douchebag? You're smokin' the wack, if you think you've seen better than this, for less. And if you have, why are you here? Buy one of those! Simple solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom