Wanted 76+ FJ40 prefer automatic transmission (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Looking for an 76+ FJ40 as stock as possible except an automatic drivetrain. I also prefer a Toyota engine and transmission setup instead of the chevy engine conversions if possible. I'm located in the San Francisco Bay area so a California car can be logistically easier.

Stock as possible with an auto is a tall order. They jut didn't make them. Which means you're looking at mostly Chevy conversions. Best of luck to you, though! There is something out there for everyone...

Stock as possible with an auto is a tall order. They jut didn't make them. Which means you're looking at mostly Chevy conversions. Best of luck to you, though! There is something out there for everyone...
Sounds good to me. I'll go for a Chevy conversion. Does a 3FE engine, auto transmission combo exist?

Theoretically you could put a 2FE / Auto Trans from a FJ62 in a FJ40. That would actually be a cool combo. However, I have never seen that done before.

Anyone seen that or know of someone on MUD who has done it?

MM

Last edited:
Theoretically you could put a 2FE / Auto Trans from a FJ62 in a FJ40. That would actually be a cool combo. However, I have never seen that done before.

Anyone seen that or know of someone on MUD who has done it?

MM
What I would LOVE to see is a FJ40 put on a FZJ80 frame and drive train. Anyone seen that done?

Last edited:
I have chevy V8 3 speed automatic 4x2 1971 fj40 asking price $27000 its located in san juan, Puerto rico

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-07 at 12.13.17 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-07 at 12.13.24 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-07 at 12.13.32 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-07 at 12.13.40 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-07 at 12.13.49 PM.jpeg

Last edited:
This one is really interesting. Anything in particular to look out for with the Chevy and automatic conversion?

The doors are after-market instead of original right?

Well hehe looks like an advanced adapters conversion, sticker is still on the side. Generally with V8's, its a box of chocolate. But get it for the right price and work out the transmission later, and everything else. The soft top doors are what they are, the seats suck. But at least the paint is good. The dealer can't take pics worth a damn. I'm better this place has a guy that you can work him over on the price. Let me know when you want to call, I'll call them a couple days before and tell him why it's not worth that much. Oh I see now, the rear barn doors. Yes not original hinges. Here's what I see:

Pros:
Good paint job - maybe matching smurf oem blue?
Jump Seats
Original Roll Cage
Maybe 2.5 Old Man Emu suspension? maybe someone else can tell
Winch
OEM side view mirrors.. not the ones that came with the FJ but tow telescopic ones
Beadlock rims? not sure
JEGS Sticker - maybe a descent crate engine? who knows maybe money there
Advanced adapters sticker - I guess that's better than not knowing, not sure how someone could get a V8 to a 4speed without it.. maybe there are others

Cons
No engine bay pics
Poor muffler job
Seats
No Hard Top - you can find one or go fiberglass
Looks like they put a tilt steering wheel in
The tub might be aluminum, looks pretty perfect or fiberglass... this would be good to know

Like maybe previous owner had a rust bucket, dumped the body and hard top and put aluminum in

If that is so, and dealer is clueless, could be a better deal

anyways 15 days on CL, there's a lot of unknowns and when it's at a dealership the lot lizards just want to move it by
now, I doubt they know much about them

This one is really interesting. Anything in particular to look out for with the Chevy and automatic conversion?

The doors are after-market instead of original right?

Keeping it in CA? That one won't work, couldn't register/smog it with it being a 79. v8 swap needs to be a 75 or older for smog exempt

Keeping it in CA? That one won't work, couldn't register/smog it with it being a 79. v8 swap needs to be a 75 or older for smog exempt

If they kept all the smog equipment, it could work, but most of these conversions don't. Is there a reason for 76+? The issue with the auto and relatively stock, is trying to fit the rear driveshaft on a stock wheelbase. If you are going an auto route, I'd try and find something with OD. I guess it not necessary in the bay area with the traffic though.....

If they kept all the smog equipment, it could work, but most of these conversions don't. Is there a reason for 76+? The issue with the auto and relatively stock, is trying to fit the rear driveshaft on a stock wheelbase. If you are going an auto route, I'd try and find something with OD. I guess it not necessary in the bay area with the traffic though.....
I see. I wanted 76+ because I read that they have some desired changes. So the 76- has a different wheelbase layout that allows OD? Then I think I'll prefer OD.

I have an extra question if anyone can chime in. How reliable are the swaps? Do they have a shorter drivetrain lifespan? Are there 100k or 200k examples on the sb350 drivetrain?

Ah, I see. So I need a 75 or older for smog exemption.

Yes, if you are looking at any with engine swaps. It's nice for original setups as well then you can desmog and do whatever you want to it...fuel injection etc.

Doesn't mean you can't get a newer model. You can get a 76 or newer with the stock 2F setup but even then i'd have them smog it prior to buying to make sure it will pass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom