76 FJ40 dies while running

So a few weeks ago I was driving around and my FJ died on me. Started right back up and made it back to the house. I tried to start it again a few days later, and couldn’t get it started. I found that there was no fuel in the carb by looking in the peep glass. Issue was resolved by taking carb off and cleaning. So now I can get it started, but every time I drive around ( on our property) it intermittently dies. Anyone have advice on where to go from here?

dmaddox

SILVER Star

Start at the tank and work your way forward. Something is prohibiting the flow of fuel.

1. Fuel filter.
2. Gas tank crud.
3. Fuel pump.
4. Lines/fittings.

Anywhere sediment can accumulate, inspect/clean/replace.

Welcome!

dmaddox

SILVER Star

Last, forgot to mention - provide some details on your cruiser. There is also an idle solenoid on the carb, if it isn't operating/unplugged you'll experience this - and potentially the distributor being bumped/turned.

Start at the tank and work your way forward. Something is prohibiting the flow of fuel.

1. Fuel filter.
2. Gas tank crud.
3. Fuel pump.
4. Lines/fittings.

Anywhere sediment can accumulate, inspect/clean/replace.

Welcome!

Thanks dmaddox. I’ve checked the idle solenoid and from what I’ve read it seems to be ok. But I will check the inline fuel filter and clean the fuel lines.

Last edited:
Top Bottom