'73 FJ40 engine swap (OM 617.950) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
oregonlawsite.webs.com
I have a stock '73 FJ40 and a donor '79 Mercedes 300SD with the 5 cyl Turbo Diesel. I pulled the Mercedes engine and I am going to put the FJ on my lift this weekend, rip the old straight 6 outta it and swap out. I understand there is a kit I can get from 4x4 labs in Grass Valley and I have contacted them about that. I have some questions for anyone who has knowledge about this swap or who has undertaken it.

I think the tranny in the FJ is the "H" series -in any case it is the stock one -anyone have an idea of how it matches up, gearing-wise with the OM 617.950?

The engine itself is the 617.950 -it's a little different from comparable 5 cyl turbos mercedes put in the "D" series' -it's "die zonderklasse" (the SD -"Special (education) Class") so, of course, it is a little idiosyncratic and has motor mounts at slight different spot -anyone have any experience with fabricating the mounts for this particular swap?

What about the radiator combo? The Mercedes Radiator has a Tranny fluid cooler inlet on the bottom, but I think I can use it and just plug up the tranny inlet and outlet. Obviously easier to just use leave the FJ radiator in, but I am not sure if there is room for the (motor) oil cooler that rides alongside the Mercedes radiator in the SD. Anyone have an idea how folks have dealt with this?

Thanks for reading, input.

i’m working through this right now. i however put a nv4500 behind it. i hate to say it but i’ve had terrible luck with 4x4 labs. i waiting a year with a promise i’d have an adapter made for me and no joy. also waited three months for a call about high steer stuff. maybe they don’t want the hassle of out of country customers but i used these guys instead and it was awesome. Chevy / GM Adapters.

i also had to try to move things forward as far as i can. i’m going to try shortening my water pump to get more clearance and use the stick rad. otherwise i may have to fab a new mount to move it forward a bit. i build my own motor mounts and welded them to the frame.

here’s my build
77 FJ40 Build, It begins...and may take a while

Since I am the last guy on the planet interested in Diesel engines, you may want to just skip over my post, but here's what I know about a 5 cylinder turbo diesel. I had one of these engines in my 1984 Mercedes, the turbo lag was soooo bad that I couldn't cross an intersection unless the cross traffic was atleast a block away. But also in 1984 not every gas station carried diesel fuel, I once had to drive 40 miles out of my way to find diesel (I know, no longer an issue).

Yeah, 4x4 labs has been pretty responsive for me. The current issue is that they only make conversion kits for the bell housings for the 4-speed FJ40 tranny -the H41 and 2. Mine is a '73, the last year of the stock 3-speed, for which they do not make a kit. I was thinking the easiest path may be to just buy an H41 -i think it will bolt to my transfer case, though I don't know that -and carry on. Anyone know the answers?
1. Will an H41 bolt into a '73 transfer case?
2. If so, know of one for sale?
Also, I will have the stock engine -the straight 6, stock, gas one -and, potentially, the 3-sp stock tranny for sale if anyone is interested -both are in good, working condition, thought he engine has a holley bolted to it that I never loved...

Since I am the last guy on the planet interested in Diesel engines, you may want to just skip over my post, but here's what I know about a 5 cylinder turbo diesel. I had one of these engines in my 1984 Mercedes, the turbo lag was soooo bad that I couldn't cross an intersection unless the cross traffic was atleast a block away. But also in 1984 not every gas station carried diesel fuel, I once had to drive 40 miles out of my way to find diesel (I know, no longer an issue).

funny yours acted like that. i drove my td300 before pulling the engine to put in my 40. it hauled in that car which was heavier than the 40 is. my low rpm spool up was a little less that desired (only in first) but that’s apparently more from the transmission shift points and gearing than the engine. i’m really looking forward to seeing how mine works with a custom injection pump and a better turbo and a standard tranny. maybe it won’t be awesome but i hope it is

and obviously i’m biased as i’m putting one in my 40 and have invested a bunch in it!!

Last edited:
I don’t think you’ll have any problems gearing-wise. The OM617 has such a wide band of power that it will be a good fit, and I also have one in my 40 and have not experienced the turbo lag issues.

You might want to look at doomsday diesel. Joe ( the owner) really knows his stuff. Very willing to answer your questions. They make adapters for the w56 tranny, as well as motor mounts, oil pans, oil filter relocation kits etc. He said they could custom make adapters as well.
Starting this swap into my fj55. I bought the adapter for the r150. 5 speed from a mid 90’s taco 4x4 back when they were $600. Now at $750. Trying to decide if I want to get 4x4 labs adapter for the h55 5 speed, since the output would still be offset . Always a lot of $$ to do these swaps.

Oh, I forgot to answer your question on the radiator-I was able to slightly offset the FJ40 radiator and place the oil cooler next to it on the drivers side. It is tight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom