For Sale 71' resto mod fj40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Was hoping for some advice and any observations on this one. I looked at it over a month ago and the dealer (consigner) now says there is a motivated seller. Looks clean at least. Aluminum tub, nice paint, 350 conversion looks nicely done. The wiring looks like a nightmare though. Aftermarket harness. Brake lights not working, heat is there but not hooked up. Of the switches, only the lights and wipers are wired. I can think of some suspension upgrades and a lot of time into rewiring.

I do like the restored and modified type so this one is calling to me. I could use some help talking me out of it or into.

vin is not matching, body and frame. It is a specialty titled build. Unfortunately, i can only attach the link as the pics are in a format i am having trouble loading
1615990510539.png

At $40K I would keep looking. I think there is a lot in that price range or less. Never liked the Aqualu front fenders. Just do not look right on a 40 with the open leading edge. The rest looks nice but if the wiring is a mess you have to question the conversion and what else?? For $40K I would expect nearly perfect on all fronts. Good luck hunting.

$40K should buy you a matching numbers Cruiser that has no issues and needs nothing. This sounds like a project and should be priced as such if you are expected to sort it out. If the dealer agrees to get all these items resolved it would be worth considerably more.

Any suggestions on price with issues? I don’t know how motivated the seller would be.

this cost only 1/2 of 40 price..

I think for comparison purposes only, I just bought a 1978 40 from Mr. Overton at lcnation.com and it is 100% original (save the reupholstered seats and a painted rear floor by some other owner). It runs and everything works accordingly. I paid under 40 for her. I wouldn't consider buying a "fixer" project at 40. I'm new here so take that with a grain of salt. Maybe go check out Mr. Overton's site and see what he has at the 40 price range. It'll change your opinion greatly on what you should get for 40.

I personally would not pay top dollar for a 40 with a Besttop top.
I think for comparison purposes only, I just bought a 1978 40 from Mr. Overton at lcnation.com and it is 100% original (save the reupholstered seats and a painted rear floor by some other owner). It runs and everything works accordingly. I paid under 40 for her. I wouldn't consider buying a "fixer" project at 40. I'm new here so take that with a grain of salt. Maybe go check out Mr. Overton's site and see what he has at the 40 price range. It'll change your opinion greatly on what you should get for 40.
Thanks! I was thinking $30k or close to it considering the work needed. I agree that unfinished work for $40k is a lot. I’m struggling with it at $30k too

I guess it depends on what you are really looking for. If you want a rig that you can go backcountry with, put big tires on and do a little rock crawling, then you can get a cheap rig and fix it up for such. I consider myself a steward rather than an owner of mine. My job is to keep mine fresh, working and maintain her in all her past glory. Are you looking for a jeep that has the name Land Cruiser, or a collectible Land Cruiser where you keep her original etc? You have to answer that for yourself. On bring a trailer, there is a Land Cruiser that is completely "Jeep'd" out and it's under 20k right now.

I guess it depends on what you are really looking for. If you want a rig that you can go backcountry with, put big tires on and do a little rock crawling, then you can get a cheap rig and fix it up for such. I consider myself a steward rather than an owner of mine. My job is to keep mine fresh, working and maintain her in all her past glory. Are you looking for a jeep that has the name Land Cruiser, or a collectible Land Cruiser where you keep her original etc? You have to answer that for yourself. On bring a trailer, there is a Land Cruiser that is completely "Jeep'd" out and it's under 20k right now.
Good feedfack. I seem to go back and forth on that very question depending on the deal I think I can get. Ultimately the steward sounds more like. That vehicle is far from that.

$20,000 into a nice $20,000 find will get you a very nice FJ40. Just need to be a bit more patient. Go for 75 or later with a hardtop

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom