70 series windshield catch knobs p/n 56453-90K00 - Reproduction (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am starting a new thread aside from the previous one to avoid any confusion. I hope I am not breaking any rules here by posting this in the 70 series forum since the purpose was to reproduce and sell a few of these knobs as a ONE time deal only.

As these knobs are nearing completion, I wanted to get an idea of who all wants a pair (they will only be sold in pairs). I will only have 14 pairs available. This will be the first and only run I do on these reproductions of an now obsolete Toyota part so once they are gone, they are gone. Every attempt was made to duplicate the original knob details except the knob itself is steel instead of molded plastic like the originals.

Who would want these knobs? Owners of 70/73/74 with fold down windshields (can be used on 75 series with fold down windshields too). Will be especially useful for the soft top owners as you have to screw/unscrew the knob to fold down the windshield after removing the soft top. Savea you time so you don't have to find a ratchet to remove the alternative which is a bolt.

The cost of these will be $175 per pair plus the cost of shipping. I realize the cost is high for some. I am not making any money off of these units. I am starting a reservation list below based off the interest I had so far. If the pricing above is too high then I can remove you from the list. I went into this project without knowing how long it will take or a final cost which is why I did not take deposits or reservations for this early on. No money will be exchanged until I get these in my hands. If you want to be on the list, let me know. If you prefer your name be anonymous, that is fine also.

List below will be by numbered pair.

Pair #1: @7Cruisers
Pair #2: @7Cruisers
Pair #3: @joekatana
Pair #4: @coldtaco
Pair #5: @Bblair
Pair #6: @Behemoth60
Pair #7: @Behemoth60
Pair #8: @JMasi
Pair #9: @cruisermatt
Pair #10: @Lo2aY
Pair #11: Reserved - offline buyer
Pair #12: Reserved - offline buyer
Pair #13: Reserved - FJ73Texas
Pair #14: @FJBen

On to the pictures. I borrowed some photos from the previous thread.

New OEM knob. Now NLA.

knob2.png

OEM bolt vs. OEM knob. Used for the same purpose.

knob3.JPG

Some photos of the knob in action. Windshield up vs Windshield down.

knob17.JPG
knob16.jpeg

Development photos.

knob8.jpg
knob9.jpg
knob7.jpg

knob12.PNG
knob14.JPG
knob13.JPG

Last edited:
I put your name on the list. Thank you Jmasi

Put me down for one pair please. Thank you

What a cool piece these are! @FJ73Texas did a fantastic job on this project.

02CB62A3-E023-4DC7-9B34-BA88A6D32078.jpeg

DF8CBFAB-136A-43CD-A44F-36C438AD75D0.jpeg

The fit and finish are great. They are heavy was my first thought when picking these up. Stuck out overlanding and ran out food? Take one of these and chuck it at local wildlife for the takedown. Won’t break and you won’t go hungry :D They are sturdy and will outlast your cruiser, I’ll put it that way.

I actually had a dream last night one fell apart when I put it on and I was trying to figure out how to tell FJ73texas the product wasn’t good 😂

Install is about as easy as it gets, provided your existing bolts aren’t rusted in. My BJ74 has an FRP (fiberglass) windshield frame. It’s the same dimensions as steel so it will be the same.

Sorry about the lighting, it’s completely foggy here today.

3C3EDD70-D707-4576-BEA2-AF56B7C232EE.jpeg
A8EE16A3-AD85-4BD7-B0EB-3EE69A826E75.jpeg

They fit perfect with plenty of space to tighten/loosen by hand. Although Mr Toyota says use a wrench

CD95C126-7462-481E-9443-4E23E68072CE.jpeg

Again, very cool upgrades piece that fits perfect and should outlast the cruiser. Thanks again @FJ73Texas for getting these up and running. Great machine work and great addition to anyone wanting get that soft top look.

I actually had a dream last night one fell apart when I put it on and I was trying to figure out how to tell FJ73texas the product wasn’t good 😂

We must have had the same dream. Thank you for testing out a set. I didn't have a 73/74 to do this. No one in San Antonio I know has one either.

We must have had the same dream. Thank you for testing out a set. I didn't have a 73/74 to do this. No one in San Antonio I know has one either.

It was funny 😆 but no worries the work is super solid.

As @FJ73Texas and I were talking, you can see why they made them that shape. The simple answer is this photo.

1680203699934.jpeg

If it were not as tall, you wouldn’t be able to get your hands around it. Without the angled piece it Probabaly wouldn’t be as strong either. So it seems again Toyota solved that issue with this part. However they mainly used a bolt that didn’t matter at all. $$$ bean counters.

So I have the knobs ready finally and they will go out this week to those on the reservation list that paid. It has been a fun project and I hope those of you that get them find them useful. It will never happen again (at least not from me). These things are nice solid metal that I personally find much better than the OEM plastic ones.

For those of you that reserved a set, thank you for being patient.

knobs.jpg

Sorry I missed out on these! If anyone backs out I'd be interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom