SOLD '68-'71 FJ40 or '75-'78 BJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Mileage
Color
rgb(0, 229, 255)
I'm finally seriously on the hunt for a 40. I've come pretty close to pulling the trigger on a couple, but they weren't exactly what I was looking for and I have plenty of time to decide.
With that being said. details on what I'm looking for are below.

'68-'71 FJ40, original drive train is required. Prefer 3 on the tree is still on place, but not mandatory. I'd rather have a clean frame and body than a mechanically perfect truck. Original interior in any condition is better than brand new bucket seats. Original paint in any condition with a little rust and no previous body work or bondo is preferred over shiny new paint. Later model front axle and/or roll cage is a plus. Hard top and doors required. No cut fenders, please. Original carb, manifolds, air cleaner bits preferred.

Same goes for the BJs with these slight additions: 4 on the floor of course. Bench seat preferred. OEM Heater included preferred, after market AC/heat unit okay. 12v over 24 preferred but not that big of deal. LHD a must (for now)

Budget is flexible depending on condition of the truck. Of course, I want the best deal ever given to anybody ever, but I feel I'm realistic as well and want both parties to be happy with the price. Can move quickly if the right thing comes along.

If anybody has one that may fit the bill or you think comes close, lemme hear from you.

Thanks,

Russell

I'm finally seriously on the hunt for a 40. I've come pretty close to pulling the trigger on a couple, but they weren't exactly what I was looking for and I have plenty of time to decide.
With that being said. details on what I'm looking for are below.

'68-'71 FJ40, original drive train is required. Prefer 3 on the tree is still on place, but not mandatory. I'd rather have a clean frame and body than a mechanically perfect truck. Original interior in any condition is better than brand new bucket seats. Original paint in any condition with a little rust and no previous body work or bondo is preferred over shiny new paint. Later model front axle and/or roll cage is a plus. Hard top and doors required. No cut fenders, please. Original carb, manifolds, air cleaner bits preferred.

Same goes for the BJs with these slight additions: 4 on the floor of course. Bench seat preferred. OEM Heater included preferred, after market AC/heat unit okay. 12v over 24 preferred but not that big of deal. LHD a must (for now)

Budget is flexible depending on condition of the truck. Of course, I want the best deal ever given to anybody ever, but I feel I'm realistic as well and want both parties to be happy with the price. Can move quickly if the right thing comes along.

If anybody has one that may fit the bill or you think comes close, lemme hear from you.

Thanks,

Russell
Hello Russell:
I have a 1970 FJ40 restored as close to original as possible 3 years age. Fits your requirements except for the following: Has shiny new paint. No later model front axle (has original) no roll cage. Came from southern Alberta (just above Montana) dry desert conditions. All metal. Asking $49,500 USD. Ontario Canada ownership. NOT from South America. Price: $54,500. Can email pictures or let me know if you want more details.

@Bertieboy - I'd love to see some pics! But that is quite a bit out of price range, and I can find US SPEC FJs in the US. I'll only go ROW in search of a BJ40

Thanks for reaching out, though.

@Bertieboy - I'd love to see some pics! But that is quite a bit out of price range, and I can find US SPEC FJs in the US. I'll only go ROW in search of a BJ40

Thanks for reaching out, though.

From your original post:
"Budget is flexible depending on condition of the truck. Of course, I want the best deal ever given to anybody ever, but I feel I'm realistic as well"

It's helpful to legitimate sellers to know what you top end budget is........you might consider posting a rough +/- number. Save everyone's time, including yours to pounce on the right 40 for you.

I'm looking to spend between $10k - $17k US.

So.. I may have found one. Working out details now. Typically, I'd fly and drive and let the Cruiser gods dictate the journey home, but in the age of Covid, I'm reticent to get on a plane....

I can manage the inspection virtually, but what about payment, title transfer and transportation? Anybody have any experience with that?

So.. I may have found one. Working out details now. Typically, I'd fly and drive and let the Cruiser gods dictate the journey home, but in the age of Covid, I'm reticent to get on a plane....

I can manage the inspection virtually, but what about payment, title transfer and transportation? Anybody have any experience with that?
I’ve purchased 8 or so cruisers sight unseen - it’s not for everyone but I’ve never had an issue. I get tons of pics and usually only buy this way through longer term mud members. many mud members are happy to lay eyes on a rig for you. You can post up needing help in a local club and someone will be willing to help And take a look for you.
here are the logistics of how I’ve always done it:
agree to terms of the sale
wire money to seller - this is the scary part. At this point the seller could disappear and you have no recourse. I have a signed bill of sale before I send the money.
have Seller over night the title after they receive the money - once you have the title you can insure the vehicle.
agree with the seller that they will be available for transport - this should be done before money changes hands
aaron at summit is a great transport broker - I’ve used him every time

feel free to PM me if you have any other questions

Thanks @upperblack - you did outline a scary part indeed. I was thinking of maybe setting up an escrow account, but have no experience.
If I do get this one, I'll probably end up driving round-trip and tow it back. I don't want to add $1,200 - $1,500 to the price tag to ship it

Thanks @upperblack - you did outline a scary part indeed. I was thinking of maybe setting up an escrow account, but have no experience.
If I do get this one, I'll probably end up driving round-trip and tow it back. I don't want to add $1,200 - $1,500 to the price tag to ship it
I’ve never figured out how to do an escrow situation. I just can’t imagine anyone allowing a vehicle to leave their site without 100% of their money - I know I wouldn’t.
but maybe others have ideas on how they would do it.
one thought I’ve had is asking a local mud member handle the transaction for you - but there is still a lot of trust needed in this situation.

909 miles straight though from Durango to Austin, leaving at 420 this morning (yesterday at thia point) to pick up a Costa Rica BJ40. We'll see what it looks like in the daylight, but i am very excited to have found exactly what I'm looking for.

Catching some zzzs outside of Lampasses. Long day, but worth it

Congrats! I saw that very post on Craigslist and it looked like a really clean rig at a great price.

Have you had a chance to drive it yet? I'm curious if the manual steering is a chore you can live with or if you're thinking about upgrading to power steering. Some of the ones I'm looking don't have power steering and that's making me shy away from them a bit.

Congrats!!

@ER2202 - I have driven it a little bit. The big steering wheel helps with steering. Its not easy, but it is doable when at a standstill, but once moving its no big deal.

I paid a fair bit below his asking price and believe it was a fair deal. Its had a cheap respray and the top has some serious rust issues. But the frame and all the underneath is spotless. Floor pans and tub are in very good shape.

It definitely has some issues, but im excited to have it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom