‘67 Door window glass ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

groundeater

...ordinary birdbrain 🤣
SILVER Star
Threads
After replacing window felts
(aftermarket, NOT OEM) finding a 3/16 inch thick window rolls up rather difficult in the new felts. What thickness did they originally use,any one know ?
It was so difficult the window regulator (brand new) came apart trying to roll them up !

An auto glass company recommended using 5/32 wide glass to remedy the problem...seems rather “punky” to go that thin a glass ? What’s the standard ?

Last edited:
@wngrog can probably answer this sooner than I can. I shipped him an NOS glass a couple of years back.

I do suppose it could depend on how worn a guys felts are when he changes a window out too. If I’d of known that the rubber backed aftermarket one worked with only 5/32 thick glass, I would’ve passed on even buying them.

I do suppose it could depend on how worn a guys felts are when he changes a window out too. If I’d of known that the rubber backed aftermarket one worked with only 5/32 thick glass, I would’ve passed on even buying them.

Since you have to take apart the door anyway, you could just get the OE weatherstrip instead of changing glass to match your aftermarket weatherstrip.

Along with choices for tempered, laminated, and tinted, the factory parts catalog lists two sizes of glass over the years for many pieces throughout the vehicle: 4mm and 5mm options. Certain countries demanded specific requirements. Interestingly the same weatherstripping is used for either size glass.
Because Toyota used metric sizes they are not exactly equivalent to inch sizes:
1/8" = .1250"
5/32" = .15625"
4mm = .1575"
3/16" = .1875"
5mm = .1969"

And of course, whatever a previous owner replaced, as well as anything created aftermarket, may or may not meet OE specs as to size, composition, and form.

Since the thickness of rollup window glass varied over the years and markets, measuring your existing windows should help. If they are stock and if replacement metric-sized glass is available along with OE weatherstripping for your market and year truck, it might help your situation.

A lot of experience has shown that almost always, original factory parts seem to fit better and last longer than aftermarket replacements. Plenty of evidence just concerning door weatherstripping for example.

Very much agree with 65swb45, why not keep it original with original glass AND original weatherstrip if available, rather than swapping out different glass to accommodate aftermarket weatherstripping, unless and until OE parts and pieces are no longer available. Just my 2 cents/shillings.

Mr Mitutoyo says 5mm for my 65 SWB.

98643DAC-32D2-46CA-9D69-195D730E5759.jpeg

All my glass appears original as it has 7 pieces that have this Temperlite stamp.

0C5B8D41-E7FA-48ED-9551-BADE83A6B5C2.jpeg

Only the front has a similar stamp but says “Safety”.

9DAC9372-1266-4ACD-8F00-E49CAB69A2E1.jpeg

So then the original is just a “scosh” thicker than 3/16 ? 👍
I appreciate the input, thanks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom