64 swb 45 brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
begining work on my 64 45 having an issue finding brake parts for a 64, what is the difference from a 71. I have 78 outers can I just switch them to disc. If not anyone know where to get 64 parts. Everyone has 71

the tube size and fitting size is smaller on the older stuff.
you can not use the 78 outers on your 64, the axle doesn't have a seal just an inner axle bushing. you would need a later housing and swap that in.

Swap the housing to newer, $ and time ahead. Lots of ways to have safer brakes than stock I would only do stock on a real restoration. Driver then upgrade to 10mm fittings, dual piston master, new lines, new hoses and upgraded diffs. Lots of us can walk you thru . The course spline diffs can be reused possibly with new spiders and new shafts. I would swap rear disks on as well and as time and resources permit upgrade rear axle to fine spline as well.

I think somewhere Ige had a pn for a seal to use old front ball and claw with a birf but that would still be 9mm diff studs and require pulling the diff to swap spiders and still have a course spline pinion.

Thanks for the info, have a couple sets of 40 axles just need to find some housing,

I almost died getting my 4 wheel drums dialed in. Hindsight I would have a couple of ball and claw axles hanging in my shop as art and the front would have disc brakes

I redid my 45lv 2 years ago, I did all new cylinders, soft lines and hard lines...but kept the old 9mm stuff, got them from SOR. Wasnt cheap and I could have done disc for the same cost...but I wanted to stay stock. Yeah pita to adjust but they sure work good when set up.

Fwiw... SoR said they did not have rear 9mn wheel cylinder that would work in the LV...but ordered what I thought would work...and they did.

...2 months latter I scored a ton of old NOS parts...including all new OEM cylinders, rebuild kits etc.

Swap the housing to newer, $ and time ahead. Lots of ways to have safer brakes than stock I would only do stock on a real restoration. Driver then upgrade to 10mm fittings, dual piston master, new lines, new hoses and upgraded diffs. Lots of us can walk you thru . The course spline diffs can be reused possibly with new spiders and new shafts. I would swap rear disks on as well and as time and resources permit upgrade rear axle to fine spline as well.
x 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 through 125 on swapping housings. Unless it's a nut-and-bolt 'true' resto, there's very little use for early axle housings and single circuit drums. If you can, use all later stuff, booster and lines included. On my 1970 I used:

8/80 onwards axle housing with my 3.70 centre and 60 series knuckles and discs.
OEM 1970 rear housing with 3.70 centre and twin cylinder drums.
City Racer prop valve.
80 series disc/drum booster.
1975+ dual circuit hardline tee-piece.
All new hard and soft lines, all fittings upgraded to 10mm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom