'62 FJ45 cab (RHD - Aust) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I thought I would post up in here with all the knowledge you guys have of the early cruisers. I have some questions and you may find the cab interesting too! I finally picked up this 1962 FJ45 cab yesterday after a 5 1/2 hr round trip mercy dash to save it from being scrapped. I had to save this one because I had never seen one of these in this country before and I've had my 40 series radar on for about 20 years. See full story here:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/fj45-owners-club/642483-qs-about-early-45-cab.html

What I got was just the cab, hood, roof, and some smaller bits and pieces. So no chassis, doors, running gear, engine, bed. The cab is in poor but salvagable shape - much of the floor will need replacing but everything from there up is fairly straight and sound with surface rust only.

So a few pics and some questions along the way:

1. Vin tag: 1962 FJ45
Engine number: F 173451
Frame number: 2 - FJ45 - 11892

2. How it was loaded onto my trailer - pretty damn heavy with that good thick steel tub. I wish I could have saved the other 45 there too but it was a done deal. Still lots of good parts I could have used for this one. :frown:

3. Ready to roll for the trip home.
IMG_0117.jpg
IMG_0056.jpg
IMG_0057.jpg

Some shots of the cab itself. I'm loving the split rear window. :cool:

Note the one piece windscreen and cowl with no bracket or hinge.
IMG_0106.jpg
IMG_0100.jpg
IMG_0107.jpg

Last edited:
Underside of cab. This will be the most problematic part. The worst of it is the drivers side floorpan. Sitting on the dirt did her no favours. :crybaby:
IMG_0069.jpg
IMG_0071.jpg

Dash: Uncut and in good shape. :)

I just need to figure out what goes in what hole....
IMG_0108.jpg
IMG_0109.jpg
IMG_0110.jpg

Bonnet/hood: In good straight shape with surface rust.

Note the lack of mounting holes for windscreen stop rubbers and latches. The windscreen doesn't fold down on this one.
IMG_0076.jpg
IMG_0075.jpg

1. Tunnel cover. Note the lack of a cut out makes this truck a three on the tree.

2. Underseat tool box lid.

3. Steering wheel centre. There is no wheel but at least I now know which wheel is correct!
IMG_0081.jpg
IMG_0083.jpg
IMG_0095.jpg

Roof/lid: Not bad condition. 3rd pic shows the worst part.
IMG_0087.jpg
IMG_0088.jpg
IMG_0089.jpg

Some mystery items: Any ideas?
IMG_0099.jpg
IMG_0080.jpg
IMG_0097.jpg

that is pretty cool......top mystery appears to be a rear frame spanner, second is a behind the dash bracket for the e-brake pull, don't recognize the 3rd one?

what happened to the frame?

what are your plans with it? did you leave the other 45 there?

So now that you have seen what I have, I need to be clear on a few things for where to go from here. What I want to do is try and rebuild this into a stock, true to type FJ45. The chances of me finding another exact donor vehicle are practically zero so I need to know which frame is going to work the best. From what I understand the cab on these will bolt up apart from the rear two mounts.

So is an early 40 series frame my best option or will I need to use someting else? I'm going to need a donor vehicle of some sort, so I need to know the best option.

I also understand that this truck may have originally had the doors with the sliding up and down windows - no regulator. I'm hoping the more common early doors will fit for now and keep my eyes open for the sliding window type. I don't like my chances! I will have to see if the doors from my '67 will work and get another pair if they do.

I want to stick with the F engine and 3 speed column shift but the column shift may be hard to find over here. I don't really want to cut that tunnel up but may use another if I get a donor vehicle and again wait to find the "correct" setup.

Front bib question: Were the early ones all the same up to a point? My '67 has the two front parker lights in the bib- is this the correct bib for a '62?

Fenders and panel above fender? Anything early work or is 62 different?

I need a stamped bezel too don't I? :doh:

I hope there is not too many questions here, but I feel I stand with one foot in a very deep hole.....

Many thanks Lup :)

that is pretty cool......top mystery appears to be a rear frame spanner, second is a behind the dash bracket for the e-brake pull, don't recognize the 3rd one?

what happened to the frame?

what are your plans with it? did you leave the other 45 there?

Thanks. 3rd one may not even belong???

Not sure what happened to the rest of the truck. I think they got the cab years ago from somewhere and it was only a cab then too.

Unfortunately the other 45 is still there but I missed out on that one. The frame on it was no good so I didn't push the issue. I have regrets on that. There was some good parts still on it and motor, gearbox etc was still in it. :frown:

it will never be a true vehicle, that is just a fact:meh:

another early, pre-'64 FJ45 frame would work. I don't know how readily available they are where you're from, but they don't show up here that often.

a 40 frame will need modifications and bed mounts no matter what year

it will never be a true vehicle, that is just a fact:meh:

another early, pre-'64 FJ45 frame would work. I don't know how readily available they are where you're from, but they don't show up here that often.

a 40 frame will need modifications and bed mounts no matter what year

Yep, I'm just going for stock look. I'll be mixing and matching to get as close as I can.

Pre 64 FJ45 frame will be almost impossible I feel. Here in Aust there just were not that many early cruisers to start with let alone 45s. This is the first one of these I've ever seen. New mounts shouldn't pose a problem especially with the bed. I'm wanting to find out which frame will require the least modification. The bed will most likely be custom made to suit so there will be plenty of flexiblilty there. I like the USA SWB beds that I have seen on here but that would have to be fabbed too.

the last picture is where the steering colum goes through on the floor

Nice cab,please double check the windshield hinge area, could someone have done some welding and filling? Seccond part is the steering collumn support mount, 3rd is not a firewall mont for the collumn.

Fenders will fit from other years. Turn signals are round with clear lenses. The fender aprons should not have lights. Bibs are the same, with the parking lights but with clear lenses.

Toyota still stocks the bib lights and the turn signal assemblies, but only with amber lenses. Clear lenses are available for the bib lights, but much more costly. The tail lights are about the same size as the bib lights and seem to be hard to come by. The next two sizes (3.5" and 4.25" IIRC) up look right to anybody but an expert and are available new.

I suspect the shorty three piece running boards will be nearly impossible to find as well.

Last edited:
Nice cab,please double check the windshield hinge area, could someone have done some welding and filling? Seccond part is the steering collumn support mount, 3rd is not a firewall mont for the collumn.

I am sure about the windscreen hinge area. It is welded but it is factory. I have seen three or four other 62 era FJ45s on the web with this same feature.

Spot on with the column support! It all fits.

Not for that truck, anyway.

Part #2

This pic shows that bracket perfectly. I also have that little hoop part that fits snug over the top of the column so now I know about that one too. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom