62 coming north (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiser_guy said:
You'll want to take it easy up hills so you don't overheat. Watch the pyro if you have one. Also be careful on the downhills as the weight will tend to push you around if your not aware of it. Are you already turbo'd? If not it'll be a really slow trip.

No, I'm not yet turbo'd and don't have an EGT gauge. I'll avoid lugging and keep the revs up to keep cool. Hmmm, maybe an EGT would be a good thing to have BEFORE I go. I'll need one anyway for the future turbo project. I'll have someone work the brakes on the 62 on the steeper down hills. This should be interesting...

Mac

I'd do the pyro first. It might scare you though! As for someone in a towed vehicle all I can say is "Hello police!" The brakes are fine as is so long as you don't try it in the ice and snow and you drive like you have something behind you.

be sure and get pictures of this!! I am sure it will be a blast. I also am unsure about haing someone in the 62.

I checked with the police in all 3 states and they agreed it was reasonable to have someone in the rear vehicle on the steeper decents as long as they were a licenced driver.

Mac

i have flat towed towed 60s to the states behind a F250 Powersmoke, i would NOT do it with anything smaller, it is just ludicrice (sp?). the tow unit has to stop for both and if the brakes overheat you are FUBAR. if you want to kill yourself that is up to you, i am thinking of the people you might take with you in the other vehicle.
either rent a proper vehicle or have it shipped is my suggestion. i am not saying it can't be done, i am saying think this through...
cheers

I think it can be done, but you are going to have to go slow and easy. I dont know ow the terrain is up there though. If it is really steep I would worry a little.

for me it would be the long steep hills (if there are any) and the idiot that cuts you off...

crushers said:
i have flat towed towed 60s to the states behind a F250 Powersmoke, i would NOT do it with anything smaller, it is just ludicrice (sp?). the tow unit has to stop for both and if the brakes overheat you are FUBAR. if you want to kill yourself that is up to you, i am thinking of the people you might take with you in the other vehicle.
either rent a proper vehicle or have it shipped is my suggestion. i am not saying it can't be done, i am saying think this through...
cheers

Well. that is the kind of input I'm looking for even if it's the other people's safety alone that your concerned about and not mine. Whatever. I'm posting this for input and am glad to get it. Thank you.

I towed over 3 thousand pounds of trailer w/o brakes behind a bagged out '81 60 across Canada and had absolutely no problems other than slow climbs and a long, slow pull across the prairies . Decents were a piece of cake- I didn't even need the truck's brakes. The Cruiser's 4speed gearbox did all of the work. W/o that experience I wouldn't have even considered this challenge.

Thanks again,

Mac

mac said:
Well. that is the kind of input I'm looking for even if it's the other people's safety alone that your concerned about and not mine. Whatever. I'm posting this for input and am glad to get it. Thank you.

I towed over 3 thousand pounds of trailer w/o brakes behind a bagged out '81 60 across Canada and had absolutely no problems other than slow climbs and a long, slow pull across the prairies . Decents were a piece of cake- I didn't even need the truck's brakes. The Cruiser's 4speed gearbox did all of the work. W/o that experience I wouldn't have even considered this challenge.

Thanks again,

Mac
Mac,
i wrote that wrong, i did not mean to come across like i didn't care about you or your occupents, i appologise.
i meant that for no other reason the safety of others should be a factor in your equation.
once again i appologise.

crushers said:
Mac,
i wrote that wrong, i did not mean to come across like i didn't care about you or your occupents, i appologise.
i meant that for no other reason the safety of others should be a factor in your equation.
once again i appologise.

None taken, Wayne. Thanks again for the advice. I'm looking into renting a pickup tomorrow.

Mac

She's home...

Well, we made it. I called an old friend that I heard was back in the tow business and we did a 3 day road trip to Santa Rosa, Cali with his flat bed tow truck. I worried all the way down about whether I was crazy or not. Would this 62 really be rust free? Turns out there was nothing to worry about. Indeed, it is a truly rust free specimen. I couldn't believe my eyes, or should I say my fingers, when I felt the inside of the frame. Nothing but dust! It's not the colour I would choose but I don't care- It ain't got rust!!! I smiled all the way home.

Now the work begins. Drivetrain swap, turbo install, WVO conversion and maybe even propane injection (dammit, I'm in such a good mood)! Oh, and the tow- while it was more costly than using my Cruiser, the flatbed made for very low stress. Well worth it. Thanks for all of your input and advice (and concern, Wayne). And yes, I will post pics.

Cheers,
Mac

Glad you made it! And that the 62 was everything you wished it would be! I wish I could see rust free as well, but mine isnt that bad. Just need to get to work on it. Please remember to post pics for us!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom