60 road trip ( should I buy?) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all! After months of searching high and low I think I've found a great platform for my build. I'm a cruiser newbie so welcome all perspectives.

Truck is a 1987 60 with ~167,000 miles and the original 2f. PO says it runs and drives fine but isn't driven much beyond a few fishing trips a year. I won't see it until we go to pick it up on Monday. It has a few rust spots but generally looks good minus a hole above the rain gutter and what looks like some heavier rust on the rear cross member above the muffler. Any cause for concern ?

The goal is to create a reliable (well mostly reliable) daily driver and ski / mountain biking and camping adventure mobile. It doesn't have to be any of those things on day one.

If it all checks out I'll be kicking off my relationship with a 200 mile drive home. What should I expect to go wrong and what parts make sense to bring with?

00W0W_8xSWUcFmviUz_0gw0co_1200x900.jpg
01010_bNij1c3ewGCz_0gw0co_1200x900.jpg
01717_2WJj1SZRbHvz_0gw0co_1200x900.jpg
00D0D_jAbH46rz86Qz_0gw0co_1200x900.jpg
image0.jpeg

Well, the roof would worry me the most. A frame is replaceable, but the roof is a tough one to tackle. That said, the picture of the frame you posted doesn’t reveal much. Let’s see the around the rear wheel arches and the c-channels on either side of the spare tire.

The PNW is arguably one of the best places to snag a great 60. Little to no snow in a lot of places, no salt, less sunshine to rot out the plastic and rubber bits.

All that said, if the price is right, go for it.

I live where we have rust. That cruiser looks pretty good, it looks like the rust can be saved with less work. It’s a good start as long as it’s a good price.

Make sure the frame it good, check right behind the rear axle front leaf spring mount, the frame can be rusted through there on both sides like mine.

That roof rust is bad, let that be one of your first priority’s maybe besides oil changes and making it safe to drive. I say go for it.

But remember, if it’s rusty underneath, there is more where you can’t see.

I live where we have rust. That cruiser looks pretty good, it looks like the rust can be saved with less work. It’s a good start as long as it’s a good price.

Make sure the frame it good, check right behind the rear axle front leaf spring mount, the frame can be rusted through there on both sides like mine.

That roof rust is bad, let that be one of your first priority’s maybe besides oil changes and making it safe to drive. I say go for it.

Thanks

Thank you. Agree on the roof. Hard to tell how far gone it is but from what I can see I think it's repairable. Lots of cutting grinding and welding ahead. Frame appears to be ok from the additional pictures I got.
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg

Agreed. Those frame photos look really good. But the feeling I get from those shots is they are taken at specific locations that are not problematic on a 60 frame. Exhaust hanger at the middle inside? If that was rusted out the truck would be in half. If I was dropping cash on this, I'd want to see the inside of the rear wheel arches, and the c-channels at the back. But maybe that's just me.

Bear in mind, any welding done around the roof requires the headliner to be removed, and replacement involves removing a lot of glass (rear cargo windows, and windshield). Not to mention the cost of a new headliner if the old one doesn't come out intact.

The roof is a big red flag. Think about the path that the water takes when it enters freely through holes in the roof. Bet there’s a ton of rust hiding on that rig. If you want a no worries hang around in the woods vehicle then this one’s probably fine. If you want a nice clean machine when you are done keep looking.

like others have already mentioned, that rust on the roof is what concern’s me the most. It’s likely much worse than what you can just see from the pictures. I would pass and wait for one that doesn’t have rust on the roof. I guess it all comes down to the price and how much time your willing to invest in refurbishing the rig.

there are alternative ways to fix leaky rusty roofs. ;)

Whatever, Hopefully you find another one. Took me like 6 months of looking for me.

The rust is just too much unless you will just wheel it and let it fall apart. It took me over two years till I landed the right one and and price.
Whatever, Hopefully you find another one. Took me like 6 months of looking for me.

The rust is just too much unless you will just wheel it and let it fall apart. It took me over two years till I landed the right one and and price.
You should see some of the 60s where I live. They ain’t pretty.

Bla Bla Bla, I would jump in and drive it home. I bought mine in worse shape than that out in California sight unseen and drove it to Tulsa Oklahoma. Ya I've spent a bunch of money fixing rust, installing a Sniper adding a stereo, new carpet headliner, front windsheild, radiator, gas tank, A/C compressor, wiper conversion, two sets of wheels. I have had fun the whole time. I can drive it out to Colorado for some mountain climbing or to lake for a day fishing. Bottom line it will make it 200 miles easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom