60 rear hatch will not open (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my 60 has decided that I can't open the rear hatch/ door. I have figured out that it opens using a solenoid. it appears to be actuated by making a ground connection to an always on solenoid /switch. I have jumped power to the solenoid. and jumped the ground. No go. I can not remove /replace the latch as I can not open the hatch.
How do I get the thing to release so I can open and repair.:crybaby:

You should be able to open the upper hatch from the inside. there is a button that lets you open it up (at least there is on the FJ60). If it's the tail gate that won't open, then the post above correct. There is a lock on the right hand side that can be pulled up to unlock.

edit: why do you have solenoid actuated door lock on an FJ60? Are they aftermarket?

The upper door on mine occasionally needs a serious WD-40 soak from the inside. I had a problem once with the lower door latch. One of the bushings inside had disintegrated and the mechanism wouldn't pull far enough on the left side latch to make it release. I made a new bushing form a nylon thingamabob I obtained at Lowe's.

If the button doesn't work, just pull the plates off of the door itself to access the rods. Just a few Phillips screws and you're good to go. But definitely try pulling up on the lock first.

I have the same question as the others. A power hatch on a 6X series? Never heard of such a thing. "Custom" install by a PO, perhaps? :confused:

As far as I can tell it is Stock. I see The solenoid is on the wiring diagram in my oem chassis manual. The lower door latch [ tailgate?] works. But I am unable to get the upper door latch to release. As I stated it appears that either the lock button on the outside or the pull release on the inside actually makes a ground connection for the solenoid which should always have power. Mine appears to be fruit in 2 ways. 1 --No power at the connection and 2-- The latch doesn't release when I jump power to it. 3-- I don't read continuity through the solenoid with the meter. Is there any way to manually release the latch? I have tried removing the the 3 Machine screws that hold it in place but as the latch is engaged I still am unable to get it out.

Last edited:
never seen a 6x series with anything electrical out back other than a rear wiper motor and window defroster if so equiped.

pull the 4 screws of the plate on the inside and open it with your fingers, i have to do this with the current hatch on my 60, i need to swap the glass to my other matching hatch but havent.

so a stock US-spec 1985 FJ60 does not have power latches in the rear. If there is something in your body and chassis manual (1984-1990) it is covering either the 62 series or non-US late model 60-series. As mentioned above, there are access panels on the inside of the door that should allow you to get to the lock machanism
back door.jpg

Well folks you are right. It is not electrical. there is an electrical connection. And I do find a sol. on the wiring diagram. I had to destroy the latch to get it open. The linkages didn't work. I will figure out how to release it with a probe after I replace it. I have no Idea what the electrical connection is for. Probably a non existent light .

OK anybody know of a used latch for sale? 1985 fj60 rear upper door lock part # 69350-90A03 [After march of 85. ]

Tried to send you a PM but you have them turned off. There is a guy down here in the Portland, OR area that has a few 62's he parted out. I'm sure he probably has a latch. He's on the forum, so you could email him here.

new part

Tried to send you a PM but you have them turned off. There is a guy down here in the Portland, OR area that has a few 62's he parted out. I'm sure he probably has a latch. He's on the forum, so you could email him here.

thanks again. I made contact and got the part. well Its in the mail.
This was a big help.
:)

my 84 has no such solenoid though I think it can be added. Mine has the manual door lock knob on right side when window is raised....that is the only thing that ever keeps mine from opening as there is no remote unlock switch in my 60.

New to me.... cant wait to hear the outcome...hopefully it is something simple like the door lock being depressed on right side. :D :D embarrassing but a cheap fix. LOL

I have the same problem. I figure that wire is nothing more than a "door open" signal for the glass. I would love to know how to get the exterior mech to work. When I bought it, yesterday, it would unlock but you couldn't push it in to open the glass. Today, no unlocky and no pushy. Anybody know the secret to getting that lock and latch out without tearing up the little plastic clips that keep all the linkage together? If not, since I don't have a manual yet, can anyone tell me if the little clips are still available?

Wire is for rear Cargo light switch

Last edited:
Bringing this thread back to life. I have a 1983 60 that has automatic rear door lock/unlock. My cylinder will not turn with the key in or unlock appropriately with the auto unlock function and not my upper rear hatch is closed and wont open. I need some help.

do i pull the cylinder and try to find a new one or is there a way to open the upper hatch I haven't found yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom