60 doesn't turn of right away (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys my 60 has a problem of wanting to stay running even when the key is out after i turn her off. only runs like a second to 2 seconds after i turn ignition off. why though?

It sounds like your throttle plate is open. What kind of carburetor are you running and when was the last time you cleaned it?

Check the Fuel Cut Solenoid on the carb. Instructions how to do that are in the emissions FSM.

Thing that connects to green plug on carb.

Emissions Manual

Attachments

• Pages from 2F Emissions Manual.pdf
    34.1 KB · Views: 150
Test it.

You don't necessarily have to remove it, but when 12v is applied to it, you should hear it click. But if you remove it, you can inspect the Oring too.

When the ignition key is turned to ON, you should hear it click.

When the key is turned to OFF, you should hear it click.

There is a full thread on this..... it is known by multiple names; dieseling, running over, run-on, etc.
Look for the thread about the stumbling, hesitation as there is some very good information in there.
If this truck is new to you then I would start with some baselining items like getting new plugs, wires, cap & rotor and changing everything over. Ensure that timing is set properly (FSM has procedure) and possibly run a can of SeaFoam through the carb. Normally dieseling over like you are having is due to improper timing. On my truck, she likes to diesel over if I have bad fuel in it (87 octane) but runs just fine with mid-grade. I have other issues with my engine though that require a more lengthy repair so I choose to pay the extra $1 or $2 for the full tank of mid-grade over the cheap stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom