5l injection pump wiring questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Couple of quick questions for you guys. Swapped a 5l in place of my 2lt (85 pickup) My 5l injection pump is a little different from the 2lt pump i used to have and the guys I bought the engine from mangled all the wiring. Looking over diagrams in the FSM has helped a bit but im hoping you guys can confirm a few things for me and answer a couple quick questions re: wiring the new pump.

1: the sensor on the bottom rear of the injection pump is the Timing Control Valve? And this just requires a 12v source (no sensor or ecu hookup necessary)? Just splice it in with the fuel cut solenoid?

2: The sensor on the front inside (engine side) is just an rpm pickup? It doesnt actually need to feed any meaningful info to anything right? Just good for hooking up a standard aftermarket tach?

3: The big mystery for me is what on earth do I do with the throttle position sensor?

Are you sure it's a 5L ,not a 5LE?

The rpm sensor is an add on ,not all countries have them,so it doesn't matter if its connected or not. I don't know if I will work with an aftermarket tacho. Don't lose the sensor ,they are expensive, a few hundred dollars for the 1HZ.

Perhaps I should try an pull a part number off the pump but Im pretty confident its not the 5le. The pump appears to match the pump in the fsm and it doesnt have the same spill control valve or sensors on the sides that the 2lte or 5le pumps appear to have.

Heres what Im looking at btw.

Timing control valve has a red dot.
rpm pickup has a blue dot.
the lead wire for fuel solenoid has a green dot.

Looking at the way the fuel cut solenoid and TCV hook up to the same pig tail i would presume they both get a constant 12v positive. But being on a pinned pigtail the TCV could be getting some sort of different signal or source...

The 5LE is quite different
096500-3081_(2).jpg

I had always thought the 5L were very much plug and play. Does yours have the ACSD?

upload_2017-1-1_5-20-48.png

upload_2017-1-1_5-16-58.png

Last edited:
I think I have some manuals for both the 5L and 5LE at home (with schematics I'm pretty sure). I'm on holidays now, but can post links when I get back.

I think I have some manuals for both the 5L and 5LE at home (with schematics I'm pretty sure). I'm on holidays now, but can post links when I get back.

On holidays and still checking MUD. addiction's a bitch!

I thought they were plug and play as well. And maybe it would be if the engine dealer hadnt mangled the wiring...

Mine looks (basically) like the first pump on your second post rosco. Except that there is a Throttle position sensor on the throttle linkage above the fuel line. I definitely dont have the 3 plugs sticking straight up like the 5le. Yes, I believe I have ACSD (Thats the cold start unit on the left side with the coolant lines right?)

One guy on the Aussie forums suggested the TCV requires a constant 12v. But another guy says I shouldnt have a TCV without an ecu, so im still confused i guess...

I looked through my pdf manuals for schematics from something that came with the 5L motor, and I did not find anything that would really be helpful I don't think.

I'm wondering if the 5L engine you have was partially electronic. Maybe it controlled the injection timing based on engine rpm? I would think that putting 12V to the TCV would either full advance or retard the timing permanently. A little scary....

. Yes, I believe I have ACSD (Thats the cold start unit on the left side with the coolant lines right?)

Correct.
Maybe there is couple of versions of the 5L. Probably some countries required the electronics to pass emissions tests.
Do you know what year, market and what Toyota it came from?

Last edited:
I would think that putting 12V to the TCV would either full advance or retard the timing permanently. A little scary....

Well..... If 12v either causes full advance or full retard I could manually advance or retard the pump to compensate by adjusting its rotational axis right? The only question would be how do I actually know how to adjust it accordingly?

Correct.
Maybe there is couple of versions of the 5L. Probably some countries required the electronics to pass emissions tests.
Do you know what year, market and what Toyota it came from?

The engine is out of a japanese van. Unfortunately I dont know the year but I think its pretty new (for an L series). Anyone know of a source for decoding engine block numbers maybe?

Fwiw The fsm says to test TCV function by giving it 12v and listening for a click. If thats the case it seems to me that the 12v source is an on/off trigger (like a solenoid) and not something that operates via voltage regulation. Of course it could still operate on 12v pulses.... So lets say it did require pulses to open and close and control timing. Would the engine even run if I just gave it a constant 12v? My assumption would be that it would not run or would run very badly if that were the case. Anyway, Im making assumptions here that may exceed my knowledge of electronics and diesel injection. Can anybody weigh in on this?

The best way to search for info maybe to google the pump ID numbers , or the part number of the pump
If its a van it would be a Hiace. But the smaller Dyna trucks are virtually Hiaces without the rear van body.
Toyota were selling both the 5L and the 5LE at the same time ,but 2006 is the last year I could see a 5L in Hiaces.

Well..... If 12v either causes full advance or full retard I could manually advance or retard the pump to compensate by adjusting its rotational axis right? The only question would be how do I actually know how to adjust it accordingly?

The engine is out of a japanese van. Unfortunately I dont know the year but I think its pretty new (for an L series). Anyone know of a source for decoding engine block numbers maybe?

Fwiw The fsm says to test TCV function by giving it 12v and listening for a click. If thats the case it seems to me that the 12v source is an on/off trigger (like a solenoid) and not something that operates via voltage regulation. Of course it could still operate on 12v pulses.... So lets say it did require pulses to open and close and control timing. Would the engine even run if I just gave it a constant 12v? My assumption would be that it would not run or would run very badly if that were the case. Anyway, Im making assumptions here that may exceed my knowledge of electronics and diesel injection. Can anybody weigh in on this?

The solenoid 'click' might be where it reaches it's end of travel. It may have a spring return in there. Don't assume it is not variable. I don't think you can really run an injection pump without some form of advance with rpm. You'd lose economy/power, or if too advanced cause mechanical damage to the engine. The mechanical pumps advance timing without electronics, and the electronic ones advance timing using a solenoid. Much like in a gas engine, the timing on the electronic pumps depends on rpm, intake air temperature etc. Yours is somewhere in between. Maybe it has mechanical advance internally, and the solenoid is a cold start advance? Really it's just guess work until you find some more documentation. I agree with Rosco that the pump part number is the key to figuring things out. Can you post a picture of the tag on the side of the pump? It will be easy to find what vehicle it came from with that part number. And it could lead to manuals/schematics.

Best I can do piecing together photos from my boroscope is:

TOYOTA
22100-5D070
??/0 2200rnd281
196000 2812 9
06B01 125 5 L

In huge font off to the side in a 90 degree orientation it says :

If those missing digits (??) are key I can try again later with better light.

toyodiy.com only shows that part as:
Europe, General 08/1989-01/2006 TOYOTA HIACE LH1**,RZH10*,11*,125,135,15* 22-02: INJECTION PUMP ASSEMBLY

Ive watched the video from Nicks 2lte mod thread a few times trying to figure out how the tcv relates:

TCV info starts around 13:00 and goes to about 18:00

Granted that is all for a 2lte but it definitely points to ECU control of the TCV. I dont think I have a crank position sensor though, which seemed mandatory for function of the TCV...

The large letters turned at 90 degrees is a short form pump ID AFAIK. The shop I use said any pump with the same numbers/letters is exactly the same.
All of the 5L(on google images) are 0.7 41 and the 5LE are just plain 10. I cant find another with 0.5 72.

How come you have to use a boroscope to see the ID plate?

Last edited:
toyodiy.com only shows that part as:
Europe, General 08/1989-01/2006 TOYOTA HIACE LH1**,RZH10*,11*,125,135,15* 22-02: INJECTION PUMP ASSEMBLY

Great info! If you expand out that toyo-diy reference, the years narrow down to 1998-2004. That motor came in the LH172 (and variations) Hiace.

I found a manual for it!!!!! All that stuff you are dealing with is an emissions system for the 5L motor. So even though it's not the 5LE, it does have a number of sensors and an emissions computer.

You MUST use Internet Explorer for this manual to work. Here is the link to the manual I found: Toyota TechDoc Specifically, the emissions stuff is in here: Toyota TechDoc

Here is a diagram of the system from that manual for example:

5lEmissions.jpg

Hard to find stuff in that manual because it covers so many different models, but I believe this is the schematic for your engine emissions stuff:
5lEmissions2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom