1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

50,000+ miles on Icons

Discussion in '200-Series Cruisers' started by Willy beamin, Jan 4, 2017.

1. spressomon

spressomon glutton Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    <snip>
    A year ago or maybe more I searched for longer wheel mounting studs for the front of our 100-Series to no avail. Have you found a source?

2. RS6tofj80

RS6tofj80

Media:
    Albums:
    motorsports-tech provided me longer studs to match the 18mm Spacers I had them custom build...

spressomon likes this.
  3. spressomon

Media:
    Albums:
    ^ Did you install the hub studs and was the spline height and diameter identical to OEM studs?

4. kreiten

kreiten

I replaced mine with original equipment one's as they were stripped out.

5. Willy beamin

Willy beamin

Media:
    Albums:
    @spressomon I haven't gotten that far yet. Just picked my truck up yesterday and started doing the math on front end track width vs. rear. I screwed up and didn't take a track width measurement when I had the Trail Grapplers on - that measurement would've helped me out this morning - but its all good now. Learn as you go right.

As to the wheel studs, the person I spoke with @ motorsport-tech told me he'd line me up with the proper length wheel studs and provide them with the sale of the milled spacers. I do remember a month or so ago Kurt @cruiseroutfit had mentioned in another post about brand of wheel studs that he uses or has used. I do not remember if it was for the race truck (Monica) or his person truck though. Possibly he will chime in and give you another option to look at. Either which way that's two different wheel stud options there.

6. spressomon

Media:
    Albums:
    Motorsport-tech is local to me in Reno/Sparks. I went down there with an OEM 100-Series stud in hand and they couldn't source a longer equivalent. But its been at least a couple years so maybe they finally have been able to source them. FWIW I was only looking for 12mm longer... as with my suspension height I'm about 3/8" per side narrower track width in front than at stock suspension height.

7. cc1999

cc1999

Thanks!

I had my suspension shop re-torque everything Tuesday, the noises stopped, for what's now been another 150 miles or so.
    Went on about 100 mile trip again today and by the time I got back home the creaking and squeaking had started to return.

It's kind of odd, the truck seems to ride very fitm first thing in the morning, yet like I noticed tonight, it was riding really nice 15min into my trip and all the way back was much smoother then my trip yo work this morning. Note: it is parked in a heated garage and it's been 50-70 degrees all week.

How many times did you guys have to retorque everything before you felt like it was truly good to go ? Just once post install or ???

Also does anyone else feel like these suspension systems are prone to riding a little firm till the warm up after a few miles of use?

I called Icon Monday and asked about these noises, they thought it was the ball joints on the new custom a-arms, that they were likely just wearing in. I was rocking the truck side to side in the garage tonight, after I got home and was pretty sure I was hearing creaking/squeaking from all 4 corners. Is there some sort break in period. Should I just keep driving it and see if it eventually goes away?

8. RS6tofj80

RS6tofj80

Media:
    Albums:
    agree on the firm at first...... mine are "crisp" on the pavement creases for the first 15 minutes then settle in - no matter the setting S or H. I have no noises thankfully......

Cheers

9. spressomon

Media:
    Albums:
    cc1999, not Icon experience but Radflo ... my Radflo rear shocks were a little noisy until they got some miles on them and they've been silent ever since. I think its just the piston and bushing "mating" and/or honing together ...

10. cc1999

cc1999

Thanks.
    I have mine all the way to S, sort of the reason I went stage 5 was to have that softest setting the non adjustable shocks I was told was about mid way in the setting.

Good to know. That was what I was hoping for.