4x4labs rear bumper build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have two of these and can’t really figure out where they go just yet. The two notches fit inside two notches on top of the bumper but doesn’t seem that it would clear the tail gate when opened View attachment 2595799
D3EC3A2A-AF1C-4150-B367-65CDE9D348BF.jpeg

Last edited:
I have two of these and can’t really figure out where they go just yet. The two notches fit inside two notches on top of the bumper but doesn’t seem that it would clear the tail gate when opened View attachment 2595799View attachment 2595801
That looks like one of the trim pieces that ties the wing back towards the hatch. Mine does have a hole like that, but you can see it next to the far spindle in this picture. There are notches in the shell for those little tabs.
E9FF50A4-B9C1-4207-8BD7-8AF530A28094.jpeg

That looks like one of the trim pieces that ties the wing back towards the hatch. Mine does have a hole like that, but you can see it next to the far spindle in this picture. There are notches in the shell for those little tabs.View attachment 2595984
It does clear and is tight but not close to hitting. I didn't tack those with the bumper on vehicle, but wouldn't be a bad idea.

@bgolf247 @chudly Thanks guys. I had them in that spot when mocking it up, but glad i checked here for peace of mind.

I dont have a build thread but I guess i'll post updates in this thread and ask for advice as I continue the process....I had some time last night to loosely mount the side wings/inner frame plates and mock up the shell. def had some big gaps where the corners of the shell meet the side wings. Going to spend more time on it tonight to really dial it in before tacking.

@bgolf247 @chudly Thanks guys. I had them in that spot when mocking it up, but glad i checked here for peace of mind.

I dont have a build thread but I guess i'll post updates in this thread and ask for advice as I continue the process....I had some time last night to loosely mount the side wings/inner frame plates and mock up the shell. def had some big gaps where the corners of the shell meet the side wings. Going to spend more time on it tonight to really dial it in before tacking.
I am working on my build write up. Will probably start posting today. Need to go take more pictures

I had some gaps between the shell and sides but decided that trying to figure out where to grind and how much to grind was going to take too long and drive me nuts, I just welded the gaps and in the end the bumper fits perfectly.

@eastoak Thats really what I'm trying to figure out now. Coincidentally I zoomed in on your bumper a couple pages back last night (as well as others on here) just to see the fitment on the seams. All the raw/tacked shells ive seen in photos look pretty damn good though...so I'm still going to shift some things around to get a tighter fit. Working solo here after my kids are in bed so I'm sure a second person would help out a ton. Thats life.

I'm getting my parts powdercoated tomorrow and I had a couple questions while masking parts off:

-Did you guys mask off the inside of the swing arm shells where the bearings/races go? I actually just saw a photo of someone that didnt mask this off and had the inside of the shells powdercoated.

- swing arm latch: i removed the u-bolt and the sliding pin that connects to the u-bolt....but did anyone mask off the spring-loaded trigger that locks the latch closed?

Thanks in advance.

I did not have the insides coated. They were tapped off.

I do not think the latch really matters. It will peal off from being used over time.

I'm getting my parts powdercoated tomorrow and I had a couple questions while masking parts off:

-Did you guys mask off the inside of the swing arm shells where the bearings/races go? I actually just saw a photo of someone that didnt mask this off and had the inside of the shells powdercoated.

- swing arm latch: i removed the u-bolt and the sliding pin that connects to the u-bolt....but did anyone mask off the spring-loaded trigger that locks the latch closed?

Thanks in advance.
I taped off the spindles and hubs. Powder coat is thicker than regular paint. No issues with mine.

Last edited:

Thanks in advance.
I would think you definitely want to tape off swing arm shells! You will pack with grease so you don't need or want powder in there. What I did was bring all the pieces to the powder guys and talk about each piece like that. What to tape etc. Hopefully they are knowledgeable enough to know what they are doing with a bumper.

Thanks for all the input. I have the shell insides masked up pretty well. I'm still on the fence about the latch assembly though. Seems like the spring on the trigger would get gunked up with powder and not function properly? Or maybe I'm overthinking it and the powder will self-clearance out of the spring after a few uses.

I work for a suspension company and we have our own powdercoating line here...so I'm fortunate enough to get it done at my work but all the prep is on me, so Making sure its done right.

I've added another steel pipe above the winch fairlead to continue the line of the leading edge of the front 80 series bumper. I thought it would look more 'complete'. Also added caps with LED orange lights to cover the opening in the frame. Again, just for looks. :)

I just bought a front and rear kits for a troopy. Can't wait to see how it will come out.

IMG_4961.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom