4x4labs bumper installation: crossmember cutting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I did the straight cut just aft of the nut with a sawzall. IIRC, I took off about 4". I measured back from the centerline of the mounting hole in the bumper to the inside weld bead (because that it what's going to hit first) and then marked my frame rail to clear that dimension. I've still got the frame rail/cross member laying in the garage. White tape with the vertical line on it was where I cut...

Yep, resonator will be gone.

Smart way to measure it!

That thing looks great on your rig. Mine will be identical to yours. Do you notice any contact on the "wings" against the cladding when flexing it out? I know our cladding sticks out further than the Toyota version.

I had already removed all the cladding when i installed my bumper, also didn't have flairs at that point either

Smart way to measure it!

That thing looks great on your rig. Mine will be identical to yours. Do you notice any contact on the "wings" against the cladding when flexing it out? I know our cladding sticks out further than the Toyota version.

Yeah, the wings contacted the cladding a little bit. I got the bumper up into position (there's a plate on the bumper that runs across the back that will allow you to hang it on the ends of the frame rails momentarily to get some bolts in). Me and a buddy lifted into position and then he made sure it didn't fall off and kill me and I got under there and loosely installed the 6 bolts where the spare tire hanger used to be and then I installed the four bolts in the bottom and used those to pull it up and into position. Then I tightened the other 6 bolts.

As I was tightening the bottom 4 bolts, I heard the bumper contacting the cladding. It is minor, and didn't seem to have any lasting effect, so I'm not worried about it.

Yeah, the wings contacted the cladding a little bit. I got the bumper up into position (there's a plate on the bumper that runs across the back that will allow you to hang it on the ends of the frame rails momentarily to get some bolts in). Me and a buddy lifted into position and then he made sure it didn't fall off and kill me and I got under there and loosely installed the 6 bolts where the spare tire hanger used to be and then I installed the four bolts in the bottom and used those to pull it up and into position. Then I tightened the other 6 bolts.

As I was tightening the bottom 4 bolts, I heard the bumper contacting the cladding. It is minor, and didn't seem to have any lasting effect, so I'm not worried about it.

Sounds pretty simple! I'm eager for Saturday morning to roll around.

I can't imagine anybody making it out alive if that thing falls 3 feet onto you. It's a hefty chunk of steel.

Anyone know how much to chop off to install the bumper? Also do i use my existing hardware to install it?
4x4labs site has a link to IH8MUD for bumper build instructions.

I bought a used one of a LC to put on my LX. I was too lazy to cut and reweld the tube on the wings. I get very minor contact on the cladding when dragging it or banging it. I have not taken a hit to the top part of it though.

I bought a used one of a LC to put on my LX. I was too lazy to cut and reweld the tube on the wings. I get very minor contact on the cladding when dragging it or banging it. I have not taken a hit to the top part of it though.

I'm intrigued to see just how far removed mine is from the wings... Luke fitted this one for a LC with flares and said it should fit.

I'm intrigued to see just how far removed mine is from the wings... Luke fitted this one for a LC with flares and said it should fit.

On mine, the tubes on the wings have about .375" clearance to the cladding. Where mine contacted is where the plate underneath extends forward a little bit - that plate touched the bottom of the flares slightly.

On mine, the tubes on the wings have about .375" clearance to the cladding. Where mine contacted is where the plate underneath extends forward a little bit - that plate touched the bottom of the flares slightly.

That's doesn't seem like a whole lot of clearance...I'll try to take some preliminary measurements tonight and see if I get any more than 3/4" difference.

Last edited:
Bent on preserving steel, managed to keep a pair of nuts 🥜🥜

cut-template.JPG

cut-inside-02.JPG
cut-inside_01.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom