4x4 Labs DIY rear bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's what we like to hear. More pics of Moab 07 please. The labs crew couldn't make it this year.:crybaby:

so what's in line for the FJ Cruiser - I've almost finished off the stock one!

^^^^^what he said

Rear FJC

so what's in line for the FJ Cruiser - I've almost finished off the stock one!

Currently in the works but not high on the priority list. :mad: :confused: :mad: Luke and I have talked about some of the interesting design challenges for the rear. Lots of vertical body area on sides to protect. Not alot of room for the spare coupled with the spare tire body indentations being centered (I was looking at that and thinking a centered spare swingout with gas cans on either side?) Ultimately Luke's design and solely his call. It will be cool to see what he comes up with. I'll shoot spy pics if the opportunity allows. What would you like to see in a rear bumper design? Have you any thoughts on the unique design challenges of the rear FJC?:cheers:

When can you drop off your rig?:flipoff2:

All I can say is I love this bumper!!!! It was fantastic!!!!!

I am sure glad that Krylon Hammerite rattle can is a perfect match for the powder coat. :grinpimp:

Currently in the works but not high on the priority list. :mad: :confused: :mad: Luke and I have talked about some of the interesting design challenges for the rear. Lots of vertical body area on sides to protect. Not alot of room for the spare coupled with the spare tire body indentations being centered (I was looking at that and thinking a centered spare swingout with gas cans on either side?) Ultimately Luke's design and solely his call. It will be cool to see what he comes up with. I'll shoot spy pics if the opportunity allows. What would you like to see in a rear bumper design? Have you any thoughts on the unique design challenges of the rear FJC?:cheers:

When can you drop off your rig?:flipoff2:

I actually am looking for a centered spare carrier w/ gas cans on either side. I also want to gain side corner protection but not extend as far out as the stock bumperette (sp?), as I keep abrading those:bounce2: . Similar to the 80 bumper I would like to have 2 heavy recovery points and a receiver for a bike rack. One problem other bumpers seem to have is that the stock reverse sensors fail to work in the metal bumper. Perhaps a nylon-type insert for mounting/isolating sensors would resolve this issue.:confused:

Unfortunately, this is my DD;) , so I'll need a loaner:flipoff2:

I started my bumper and wanted to post up some early pix and say thanks to Phil and BMan for the helping me put the shell together. I owe you Phil...

bumperfit.thumbnail.jpg

bumper-fit2.thumbnail.jpg

I was using pure CO2 in my welder and there was a lot of splatter. Crumbling to peer pressure from BMan and Phil I went out and got a Argon/CO2 mix...just so they didn't think I was a wuss.
argon.thumbnail.jpg

As if the bumper is not enough I am also installing ARB lockers and 488 gears. Here is a pic of the paint pattern, if you are into that kind of thing. You know I am...
paint_pattern.thumbnail.jpg

Last edited:
Looking Good Brittan.

Couple of things,

Depending on the style of tapper you use, it may be easier to drill and tap before the spindle goes in. Those holes are for the gas strut nobs.

The gas struts need to be attached prior to torquing down the carrier arms. Do while there is still play in the arm, they are impossible to compress by hand.

When assembling the tire carrier and the can carrier, do what ever you can to move the assembly to the rear. Otherwise the carriers can be uncomfortably close to the body of the truck. If you have the ladder, I would follow this guideline as well though I have not seen one or built one.

The can carrier may require a BHF and press to get everything aligned. Alvin and I had a hard time. He actually used a press to hold things together for welding. Also be sure that your cans of choice fit, though the BHF will make all things right.

There are also a number of holes on the carrier that will likely need to be slightly enlarged. Let me know if you have any questions.

Ross

Unfortunately, this is my DD;) , so I'll need a loaner:flipoff2:

Unfortunately, the loaner is down right now.:confused:

Hopefully the stout will be running for rubicon.:D

Then we can swap.:flipoff2:[/QUOTE]

MORE PICS MORE PICS! That is sweet!!!!!

Stouts are the :censor: ! Rare as hell though.....
21300679145000001_1.jpg

I did some work in the garage this weekend. Here is what came of it...I am almost done.

http://offroadodyssey.com/files/2007/06/rear-bumper-build.jpg

I hope Kevin still has my gas struts...and that I can fit them after the fact. (See post #68 above) Thanks Ross for the advise...I didn't have the struts to fit when I assembled the unit.

Things did go quick on this build. Most things fit as promised. She is HEAVY! Breaks my back just moving it around. I am going to finish this week and will send it out for powder when I can. If you want to come by and see it please let me know when you are coming by...I could use the extra hands to move the damn thing.

Nice job, I'm curently building one for my 40.

Re: splatter, new trick I discovered, spray the area your going to weld with the wife's anti-stick cooking spray. I use spray canola oil, my stick welds look like they came out of a mig. Also makes your shop smell good (hmmm, time to go make some more tacos).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom