4WD Toyota Owner magazine Project FZJ80 pics (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Those that have experienced it will know what I'm talking about :grinpimp:

But it'll only take a bowling ball sized rock to stop this beast in it's track sometimes...

Last edited:
4WD Toyota Owner Magazine said:
The basic answer, and very important to realize, is that the bracket attachment points AND the control arms are at the same place as they were before the lift! Therefore, if you were going to hit them now, you'd hit them before. That said, then the question is, well, those bracket arms are long and sloping and can be hit on rocks. This is true, and we'll test them out. I suspect they'll act as a de facto slider, but we'll see this Saturday. That's why we're going; we want to test it too!

In that case, why lift the vehicle? You can fit 33" tires on a stock 80, and the breakover angle isn't improved at all with the low hanging brackets.

Not to mention, if you bang the stock mounting brackets and those dropped mounting brackets with the same rock at the same angle, I'd venture to guess that the MAF brackets would bust a whole lot easier.

Now, if there was some way to protect the brackets with the sliders, that may eliminate most damage concerns, but the breakover angles would still be effected.

I have to say, the MAF lift looks just like every other lift I see on full size Chevy, Ford, Dodge, (specificaly at "We Do Trucks") trucks around here, that don't ever see mud and run on 20+ inch bling. All show and no go.

I thought about the MAF drops until I looked at it, a few folks made good points about it too. Primarily the biggest push for MAF is it seemed a little less expensive replacing brackets than arms. The MAF drop panhard brackets maybe, simply because adjusting panhards takes longer than bolting a drop bracket on.

I'll eventually be stepping up to Slee's 6" from my OME J's. One piece at a time.

theories

Lots of great theories and conjecture on performance!

Have any of you actually wheeled with someone with this kit--just curious--and confirmed all the negative theories being put out there? Some are helpful in terms of things that I want to test this weekend. Some I am noting and will try to get pics of.

All questions will be answered this next weekend, then written fully in the Mar/April issue. I can tell it's going to be carefully scrutinized!

The most interesting is yours, LR-RESQ--that would be a good test. let's try to arrange something, heck just to wheel as well as comparing the two systems.

Until then, keep on guessing--yours is as good as mine:grinpimp:

Dave

My personal opinion jibes with the collective, simply because I run Slee's setup and still hang up on the rear control arm mounts. I'm trying to figure out ways to run them up higher than stock. Depends on what kind of wheeling you do, I destroy rockers regularly and have little regard for sheet metal. I'd like to say it looks pretty, but unfortunately it doesn't. No disrespect intended, just an honest opinion. Let us know how it does!

-Spike

4WD Toyota Owner Magazine said:
Lots of great theories and conjecture on performance!

Have any of you actually wheeled with someone with this kit--just curious--and confirmed all the negative theories being put out there? Some are helpful in terms of things that I want to test this weekend. Some I am noting and will try to get pics of.

All questions will be answered this next weekend, then written fully in the Mar/April issue. I can tell it's going to be carefully scrutinized!

The most interesting is yours, LR-RESQ--that would be a good test. let's try to arrange something, heck just to wheel as well as comparing the two systems.

Until then, keep on guessing--yours is as good as mine:grinpimp:

Dave

Good attitude by the way David. I've noticed you are taking the criticism like a man and will let the set-up speak for itself.

Cheers to you...:beer:

-onur
akron, OH

Wrench said:
Look at this picture. Those control arms are way to low! It's just a poor design i'm sorry. You would never find those on my rig.
DSCN0564.JPG
:eek: :eek: :eek: Can somebody post a side view photo of an 80 with Christos' 6" lift for comparison?

FJ809496TLC said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: Can somebody post a side view photo of an 80 with Christos' 6" lift for comparison?

A couple of pix of Spike's very effective unit.

12-31-2005_9.jpg

12-31-2005_10.jpg

Tools R Us said:
A couple of pix of Spike's very effective unit.

12-31-2005_9.jpg

12-31-2005_10.jpg
Thanks for posting. :)

:flipoff2: I have the MAF kit with the slee 6"springs and 37s and love it..... I don't under stand the negative thoughts around this kit ..... ALL the major 4x4 companies kits are drop bracks in design... this is the frist time on an 80 .... Don't knock it tell you try it......

Last edited:
David it will be interesting to see your truck perform in Maob, It may be a eye opener for many. I am the owner of the funky two tone in sep/oct issue of your Mag at Moab. It has a 6in slee running 36/13 swampers. I two think with the amount of lift you have you will still be only going where the standard OME lift guys go, while that is a lot of fun places, and alot of fun challanges, I do think the arms will be more trouble then they are worth. It will be interesting to see how it works. Real world testing is where it is at. later robbie

hey Luke,

You do not want to buy slee's kit a little at a time. It makes alot more work.And you'll find out that the reason they sell the 6" kit is cause you need everything in it! I know cause I did it. first front then rear. And as for his pic's and the MAF drop panhard brackets...you hafta adjust your lift amount depending on where the bracket centers your truck over the axle. Guys, look at the head on pic. His body is off center over the axle, looks like he needs another1/2 to 1" lift to center the body cause the panhard is too long in that pic. This is what I learned from my experience. Hope this helps

I applaud the idea of Luke going away from the norm on his lift. We all know the Slee set up is great. Most of the opinions of the MAF set up is speculation for most. Now we will get to see how the MAF lift performs without having to buy it ourselves. Testing new products is one of the things I believe gives additional value to the magazine.

47b5ce29b3127cce94288795b22100000016108BZsmrlm4bq

Here is my 6" with 315's :cheers:

low hanging brackets

first a lesson in four link geometry.
draw an imaginary line along your upper and lower rear four links. the forward point they intersect dictates the imaginary point that forward momentum is transfered to the vehicle. all competition rock crawlers and buggies aim for the vicinity of the motor mount. the lower the point the better the vehicle will climb serious obstacles. in a climb your truck already unloads the front end and doesn't need the rear end making the situation worse.
another scenario is approaching vertical ledges, say 3/4 your tire hieght or more.
with steep control arm angles torque reaction forces the ass end of the truck upward as the axle tries to drive under the truck without you.
maybe your wheeling style isn't severe enough the take advantage of the performance gains of a correctly setup four link in which case you are free to compromise. however after years or competing in the rock crawling circles and
involvement in their build up , i can say with confidence that an inproper fou link setup has no advantage over leaf springs and may function worse.
As for the front end the brackets merely allow lift without compromising street handling

clarkrw3 said:
47b5ce29b3127cce94288795b22100000016108BZsmrlm4bq

Here is my 6" with 315's :cheers:

Is your 80 jet black? If so--killer paint scheme!

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom