4th alternator in 3 years (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just burned through the 4th alternator in 3 years. Luckily each one has been warranted by Napa but what do you think is causing this, because annual alternator replacement is getting pretty old...? Any ideas? I'm driving then I notice my voltmeter on the dash drops to 12 volts and and becomes irresponsive to acceleration. Thanks

Personally, I think it is due to cheap rebuilds. I've stopped going to the generic parts store for alternators. Instead, now take my alternators to a local alternator / electric motor shop. Not only do I believe that I get a better product, but I like to support the local small business.

You can also add a 3FE alt with a simple adapter, to up the output to 80A. Denso remans were available.

Cruiser Wiring under harness connectors.

What is happening when your alt's fail?

Doesn't sound like your particular problem but bearing failures can often be blamed on over tightening belts. It puts too much side load on the bearing.

Check all the wires going to the alternator. I went through 3 in a year because there was some exposed wire that would ground and kill the alternator.

OEM lasts 25 years. My guess it is the crap rebuilds you are using.

But I agree-Getting OEM rebuilt at a local auto electric shop is good. I've been very happy doing this.

Alright thank you all for the prompt responses as always. I will look into getting a better quality alternator, hopefully an OEM. Will also check wiring Coming out of the alternator to make sure nothing is grounding.

No one mentioned the Mean Green hi output Alternator. Pricey (4 bills) but no complaints here.
Many have run without issues and others not. I've had mine trouble free for over 10 years.

The mean green is is cs144 with some mods,

did a cs144 swap for a fellow cruiser head last year last year the one we used was spec'd for a late 90's cadillac, he had alot of accessorys and needed the juice.

They put out 100 amps at idle and depending on the regulator are rated up to 200amps..

Good luck, i just follow the BOMB method "Better off modified baby"..

You can also add a 3FE alt with a simple adapter, to up the output to 80A. Denso remans were available.

Cruiser Wiring under harness connectors.

What is happening when your alt's fail?
In the past I've had the tail lights go out at the same time as the alt. This time nothing else went with it. Volt meter just dropped while I was driving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom