45LV to OME or leave it stock (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Kinda torn on what to do with my 45LV.....I always figured I would do an OME suspension on it, just like all my others, but with the new wheels and caps.....I am kinda digging the low look.

other issue is I have some tall aftermarket shackles on it(with what I am sure are the original springs) which has messed with caster, I need 4 deg shims to make it handle correct(steering is amazingly tight) but the caster makes you really have to pay attention. So If I do shims, i need longer U-bolts, then I might as well replace all the old bushings. Then will need to get rid of the driverside lean. Also would not mind another inch of lift. Labor wise I bet I am better off with all new OME. BTW, it has OME shocks and stabilizer on it now(so don;t need those)

So by the time I am done messing with all of this...it may make more since to do a whole new suspension. Which also means new taller tires, and seeing how 33x9.5's really look the best on the 45LV's....and they are long gone(but I have 10 or more with good life left) it really means I am looking at 33x10.5's

I dont see me changing the motor, the original 1F runs super well(besides needing some valve seals)

Brakes are all new drum all the way around.

what do you guys think?

I'd go 2.5 ome personally w/ 33x10.5s. Very nice truck!

old stock pic, it looks like it sits a bit higher than mine but not much, but without the shackles it would be lower

14883683_10210966007923317_7460826609872087032_o.jpg

What a great looking wagon! I sure do love the 45LV. If you don't mind a comment from a 55 hack, I'd raise it a tad, all new stuff with a better ride and a better look. The lean will be gone and the wider tire might look better with a lift. Either way, she sure looks good!

How do you use it? Are you just bored and what a change? The ass end looks really low. Mine sits alittle higher in the rear and my 33 x 1050's rub the back edge of the wheel well while out wheeling. It's even worse when I have my camping gear back there.

Hey Landpimp...this is actually a Wyoming DirtWhore. As you know, I did a frame off on my LV. I did use the OME with fj60 axles and started with the 33 x 9.5. I then had to change to 10.5s later. That rig of yours looks so good, you can do whichever. I do prefer a slight lift that doesnt look lifted...I think the OME does that. Always enjoy seeing your stuff!

Yeah, she sits too low

Plan aways was OME

Use....going to use it more for work , mostly just around our small town and rural back roads. for years I was kinda afraid to drive it was so clean, changed my mood this year and it's time to use it more, if my beater 45lpb can make me money in RE the 45LV will do the same and better. cruisers are kinda my trademark in local RE.

Had a seafood company beg me to use any of the 40/45 for some commercials, as much as I wanted to, I wanted to be known as the RE Broker who drives the old cruisers......not " hey there is the seafood guy" (unless I got free lobster for life)

I'll send an email to Kurt about some Springs, I can just pick them up as ARB is local. I know when I did the lpb I removed some leafs and will probably do the same

Now, AT or MT......leaning AT's......getting old ;)

Also need to move the exhaust pipe, it kinda goes thru the rear wheel well, no problem with those little tires, but 33's will be a problem

Oh.....I was also afraid it would fit in the garage lifted on 33's but I put ,my lifted 45lpb in and that fits (if I take out the light bulbs) so I just need to move the fixtures .

Another part of the issue with lifting it is.....this 45lv owner is getting older and seeing how the tailgate is such an easy design to get stuff in the bed as it sits.....not sure if another 3+ inches will make my life easier. it's not that am a fatass or really out of shape (could still loose a few, but can out work most 1/2 my age, just the next day kills ) or have any serious aliments, still have all orignal parts but some have more wear than the miles would suggest, and while reproduction parts are available I prefer to keep the originals as long as I can. besides a good start on some arthritis.....which the doc just wants me to eat a bunch of ibuprofen for now. but I can see maybe another 10-15 years of driving old cruisers......guess I should enjoy them more now

So OK...OME it is......this winter probably, I can get one of those dog ramps if in need too.....for me, not the dog ;

If you don't heavily wheel it, then stick with what you have.... Maybe new shocks with extended shackles in the rear and some 31 AT's would be the perfect compromise.

Zero plans to wheel it, sorry to say. but might end up with my old Jimmywagon back one of theses day.....and that can be wheeled.

Shocks are OME, put them on when I got it, painted black to look stock

Rear already has the same extended shackles as front. the stock Springs are very flat

I think by the time I try to work(and try to improve) with what I have, in the end I bet I wished I just did OME....both money, time and ride....I'l be ahead.

I can deal with getting old.......better than the other option .

If you don't heavily wheel it, then stick with what you have.... Maybe new shocks with extended shackles in the rear and some 31 AT's would be the perfect compromise.

Another part of the issue with lifting it is.....this 45lv owner is getting older and seeing how the tailgate is such an easy design to get stuff in the bed as it sits.....not sure if another 3+ inches will make my life easier. it's not that am a fatass or really out of shape (could still loose a few, but can out work most 1/2 my age, just the next day kills ) or have any serious aliments, still have all orignal parts but some have more wear than the miles would suggest, and while reproduction parts are available I prefer to keep the originals as long as I can. besides a good start on some arthritis.....which the doc just wants me to eat a bunch of ibuprofen for now. but I can see maybe another 10-15 years of driving old cruisers......guess I should enjoy them more now

So OK...OME it is......this winter probably, I can get one of those dog ramps if in need too.....for me, not the dog ;

I dont think you will be disappointed. I always kept things stock, but have come to the conclusion that some things are being considered by collectors as "better than stock" and not discounted for not being original....OME is one of them. I dont think mine lifted it 3".

Look I'm only from Australia, so my opinion probably doesn't count for much, but I saw go an inch or two and run 32's or 33's, but skinnies.

stock pretty much always gets my vote. but is only a set of springs; keep the originals and do whatever you want tis easy to reverse.

Leave stock they are very rare.

desert emu: just couldnt let your handle go unnoticed! not when you live where i do and drink emu bitter loudly and proudly. spent a year in canada tho mostly drank kokanee (a bc beer). heres luck!

I vote for OME. They just look correct a little higher. Mine already had it when I picked it up. It rides a little stiff in the back so I may pull a couple leaves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom