40th Anniversary Emblem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need your pricing opinion. Let's call this 'market research':
I am working on the raised front fender emblem for the refresh I am doing on my '97. The photos are of a 4th gen. prototype I've made, but still needs refinements and improvements (already underway). Importantly, just like our amazing vehicles, I think it needs to be "over-engineered". So I'm prototyping with marine grade vinyls, and various epoxies, and polyurethanes.
I want it to last as long as the truck does.
So here's the question: What would you be willing to pay for a near perfect replica that is as good as or (is likely) superior to the original? Is there a point at which I price it out of the market? Of course I can dial it way back and make them cheap (to make, sell, dispose, and replace); or I can build them like the Toyota engineers would. I own multiple LC's and relish these vehicles and their engineering every day....as well as these great resources like Mud. So I ask for your feedback.
So please spare me any snark, I want your product & price opinions. 👍
Thank you all.
20211231_183759.jpg
20211231_183740.jpg
20211231_183527.jpg
20211231_183535.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my opinion so take it for what it is worth, but I am very picky about my 40th and especially when it comes to replacing anything on it when it's not from Toyota. Replacing emblems and stickers unique to the 40th take it to a whole different level. For that reason, back when they were still available from Toyota I bought all 40th badges and floor-mats knowing some day I may need them. I still have all of them sealed in bags just like the day I picked them up from the dealership.

To your question about this fender emblem. I know a number of people that have used these and they look pretty good in person, especially for $55. They are the best aftermarket replicas I have seen, but still not close to the Toyota originals. Your examples above look like a good start, but if you are after a "near perfect replica that is as good as or (is likely) superior to the original" you have a ways to go. The edges, precision, and lustre of the '40' have a ways to go to get close to the look and quality of OEM. You also have some font and spacing issues on the 'ANNIVERSARY'. Again, not really close to OEM. I appreciate the effort for sure, but IMHO, you have a lot to do before you get to an OEM replacement that would past muster, at least for a guy like me. If you get to that point, I think you could easily ask $100-$150 for the set, but they would have to be really nice.

Last edited:
I might consider a pair for under $100.

Here is my opinion so take it for what it is worth, but I am very picky about my 40th and especially when it comes to replacing anything on it when it's not from Toyota. Replacing emblems and stickers unique to the 40th take it to a whole different level. For that reason, back when they were still available from Toyota I bought all 40th badges and floor-mats knowing some day I may need them. I still have all of them sealed in bags just like the day I picked them up from the dealership.

To your question about this fender emblem. I know a number of people that have used these and they look pretty good in person, especially for $55. They are the best aftermarket replicas I have seen, but still not close to the Toyota originals. Your examples above look like a good start, but if you are after a "near perfect replica that is as good as or (is likely) superior to the original" you have a ways to go. The edges, precision, and lustre of the '40' have a ways to go to get close to the look and quality of OEM. You also have some font and spacing issues on the 'ANNIVERSARY'. Again, not really close to OEM. I appreciate the effort for sure, but IMHO, you have a lot to do before you get to an OEM replacement that would past muster, at least for a guy like me. If you get to that point, I think you could easily ask $100-$150 for the set, but they would have to be really nice.
Thanks Man. Yeah, The fonts aren't right. This was just the first mock up with the wording.
I've looked at those that you cited. They actually are less like the original than mine are. They are somewhat translucent, are over-glossy, and the dimensions on the numbers (40) are off (particularly in the depth and thickness of the digits themselves).
As for mine, I am still improving all aspects, so I appreciate your analysis. It helps. There are imperfections in mine that you can't even see in the photos....so I have a way to go. But the process is different depending on materials....that was why I asked now (before getting too far down the road with a single material).
BTW, my reference to being better than the original was only meaning the materials themselves....not the asthetic or cosmetic aspect of the emblem (by nature, the aesthetic can't be changed or improved upon if we are trying to duplicate it). I really only meant that I'm testing superior (and costly) materials.
Honestly, I don't know how close I can get to perfect....but perfect itself is not likely. At the same time. I definitely want to keep the total safely under $100. My main goal was just making these for myself, but while I was at it, I thought I would offer to others (...but didn't want to make a bunch to sell if the price was going to exceed what the market would bear). Make sense?
Thanks again for your honest reply. I'm still improving it...and will share future versions. I won't be selling until I'm satisfied. ✌

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom