404's Under a FJ 62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What Mace said....

Portals have sooo much leverage to put twist/wrap into the springs. There is a local yj out here on 404's and he tried running leafs. He would only get one run out of them before he either broke the leafs, twisted up/broke his anti-wrap, or turned his leafs into S's....sometimes all three. Plus it was as tall as a house on 40's. The current owner linked it. It is still huge, but much better and works well. Its tall but its so damn wide and has so much unsprung weight that it is VERY stable.

Update:
Finally getting back to this project. Plans have changed slightly. :grinpimp:

New specs:
Chevy 5.3l
4l60e
NP241C Driver Drop with SYE
Unimog 404s
Leaf springs!!!!
40-43" tires
H1 beadlocks
Full hydro steering
FIS harness and ECM reflash

Recently purchased a whole 99 Silverado 5.3l v8 4x4 for a motor swap. It was wrecked on an overpass in due to black ice. The drivers door does not open. Body is bent on all corners. Its heated leather seats may find their way into the swap. Since it is a complete truck, tracking down the little parts needed for the v8 swap will mostly consist of a walk across the yard. Also should be able to get a good chunk of money from whats left of the truck when I'm done. Pic attached.

The idea behind this build is to keep it as simple as possible and as small of a budget as possible. The latter being the hardest. The NP241c will be a direct bolt up to the 4l60e to replace the NP246. A twin stick Dana 300 could possibly happen instead of the NP241C.

I have also thought about doing Mog9s, branik motorsports may make flanges to weld on to a 9in. They do respline the shafts. That will be pricey and require pulling the axles apart if I go that route. Also will have to track down a factory long side shaft.

The buddy I sold the other set of 404s to has thrown them under his XJ and gone to rear steer with leafs in the back. It has a pretty stout traction bar. Check out his thread on Pirate.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-cherokee/991739-project-bolt-bruiser-8.html

I have spent a good chunk of the last two weeks reading the V8 swap threads. Thank you to all who posted in those threads. It has helped a lot. Does anybody have a parts list for fuel system using the factory tank?

Is FIS in San Antonio still a good place for the harness? There were issues in the last thread I read.

More to come in the next couple months once i have rounded up all the parts. Goal is to be ready for a trip to Moab in october.

Chuck

photo.jpg

I have never seen this set up before.

<---- See avatar... That's TippyR. Those are 406 axles on a 60 series with 53" tires.

Here's my TippyR gallery

You've already been provided excellent advice on the folly of a spring-over suspension for portal axles. You should heed that advice.

I assume you also know of the problems with pinion conversions on the 404 axles, you've already discussed the off-set problems, and you should also be forewarned about the problems of the terrible drum brakes on these axles. I converted mine to Disks. You can search for my thread on Pirate covering that.

All in all, I sure had a lot of fun building the truck and I learned a ton in the process, and I expect you will too.

:popcorn: Subscribed.

Omfg that things huge!

Finally, after two years of being busy, gathering some parts, time to get back to working on this. The last couple weeks I have spent a significant amount of time gathering part numbers and reading about V8 swaps.

The latest plan:
2000 Chevy Vortec 5.3 DBC/4L60E/NP241c with SYE
Unimog 404s…Keeping the drum brakes, friend figured out a way to put a 1 ton wheel cylinder in place of the stock ones.
42” IROKS on Trailworthy Fab H1’s
PSC Full hydro with replacement pump
3 link in the front with FOX 2.5” x 16” Air shocks
63” Chevy springs in the rear. Previously mentioned friend has been running them over 2 years without issue on 404s.
BMW heated electric seats I picked up from the junkyard. Torfab brackets are on the way.

Specific parts to this build:
Hoops for Air Shocks-Dave’s Unlimited
Trailworthy fab wheels
UltraGauge for engine display and scanner function.
Harness- PSI Conversions
Reprogram ECU- PSI Conversions
Fuel system…pump, line, filter- PSI Conversions
Brake switch- PSI Conversions
Throttle conversion -Lokar 36"….if neither of the stock cables work
Full hydro steering and new pump from PSC
Heat Sink Cooler from PSC-DER-13253
Engine Mounts-Advanced Adapters truck style
Exhaust builder’s kit
Electric seat wiring/relays, etc.
Camaro oil pan and accessories- Improved Racing.com
Fan Shroud Kit- Summit.com
Steam Vent 1 3/8" to 1 1/2"- Jags that run
5.3 Stock intake gaskets
5.3 Stock fuel pressure regulator
B&M Transmission shifter…..if the stock shifter can’t easily be adapted
Bracket and Lever Kit
Metal, joints, and brackets for Fabrication
……And some other stuff

Naturally, I have some questions after all the research:

1. Does PSI Conversions have a good reputation for Harnesses?

2. When installing the fuel system, is the Toyota in-tank fuel pump removed when the Walbro is mounted on the frame? Would you lose fuel pressure if the stock pump locked up or would the stock pump make the Walbro work harder pulling fuel through it? The spare fuel capacity that keeps the pump from sucking air in the stock pump would be good to keep.

3. There are some members that said the stock fuel pump has enough pressure to run the 5.3. Would the stock FJ62 fuel pump have any issues off road? Do you run the stock FJ62 fuel filter? It would save a lot of time and money leaving it stock.

4. Is it worth it to run the CATS and O2 sensors? Emissions are not an issue. I do like the idea of cleaner exhaust.

5. Anybody have an exhaust builder’s kit they recommend?

6. Anything big items that haven’t been listed?

Can't wait to tear into this. Been too long.

Thanks,
Chuck

There was a guy 6-8 years back that had a brown 60 with portals from alberta. He might have gone in the tough truck challenge way back. His buddy did a bj45 with the same setup.

It would be sweet and i have thought about doing this myself but... I think this would be a trail vehicle only. SOoooo nice to drive on the road and keep the toyota s***. ok, except longfields. You gottta have longs.

oh duh

Behemoth is the dude i was talking about.

Not my cup of tea but it was big. TippyR I believe was his handle on 'Mud

attachment.php

attachment.php

297748d1176176783-what-do-you-think-83-fj60-build-up-dsc02847.sized.jpg

tippyr-2-jpg.223129

Finally, after two years of being busy, gathering some parts, time to get back to working on this. The last couple weeks I have spent a significant amount of time gathering part numbers and reading about V8 swaps.

The latest plan:
2000 Chevy Vortec 5.3 DBC/4L60E/NP241c with SYE
Unimog 404s…Keeping the drum brakes, friend figured out a way to put a 1 ton wheel cylinder in place of the stock ones.
42” IROKS on Trailworthy Fab H1’s
PSC Full hydro with replacement pump
3 link in the front with FOX 2.5” x 16” Air shocks
63” Chevy springs in the rear. Previously mentioned friend has been running them over 2 years without issue on 404s.
BMW heated electric seats I picked up from the junkyard. Torfab brackets are on the way.

Specific parts to this build:
Hoops for Air Shocks-Dave’s Unlimited
Trailworthy fab wheels
UltraGauge for engine display and scanner function.
Harness- PSI Conversions
Reprogram ECU- PSI Conversions
Fuel system…pump, line, filter- PSI Conversions
Brake switch- PSI Conversions
Throttle conversion -Lokar 36"….if neither of the stock cables work
Full hydro steering and new pump from PSC
Heat Sink Cooler from PSC-DER-13253
Engine Mounts-Advanced Adapters truck style
Exhaust builder’s kit
Electric seat wiring/relays, etc.
Camaro oil pan and accessories- Improved Racing.com
Fan Shroud Kit- Summit.com
Steam Vent 1 3/8" to 1 1/2"- Jags that run
5.3 Stock intake gaskets
5.3 Stock fuel pressure regulator
B&M Transmission shifter…..if the stock shifter can’t easily be adapted
Bracket and Lever Kit
Metal, joints, and brackets for Fabrication
……And some other stuff

Naturally, I have some questions after all the research:

1. Does PSI Conversions have a good reputation for Harnesses?

2. When installing the fuel system, is the Toyota in-tank fuel pump removed when the Walbro is mounted on the frame? Would you lose fuel pressure if the stock pump locked up or would the stock pump make the Walbro work harder pulling fuel through it? The spare fuel capacity that keeps the pump from sucking air in the stock pump would be good to keep.

3. There are some members that said the stock fuel pump has enough pressure to run the 5.3. Would the stock FJ62 fuel pump have any issues off road? Do you run the stock FJ62 fuel filter? It would save a lot of time and money leaving it stock.

4. Is it worth it to run the CATS and O2 sensors? Emissions are not an issue. I do like the idea of cleaner exhaust.

5. Anybody have an exhaust builder’s kit they recommend?

6. Anything big items that haven’t been listed?

Can't wait to tear into this. Been too long.

Thanks,
Chuck
I would run the FJ in tank pump and skip the Walburo junk. Lots of folks having good luck with the stock fuel system.
Yes, keep the stock filter too.
No problems off-road with this sys.
In the future if you feel it can't keep up with the 5.3 then go aftermarket.

I bought the heavier gauge 3" mandral bend builders kit from Summit. Love it, loved working with it.

Skip the emissions stuff till your circumstances necessitate them.

Get after it, keep us posted!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom