40 Series Tachometer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gun Runner 5

ODD IRON OFF ROAD
SILVER Star
Threads
Was the 40 Series tach standard equipment at some point or was it always an option?
Thanks
ABB5298F-362D-43CC-A0A7-2C0F93185222.jpeg

Only show these available in Australia 10/81+. Not sure were standard from that date on in Australia. Most likely on most. Diesels. Petrol I'm not sure. Believe seen a 10/81+ FJ45 for sale in Australia without one. @Cruiser_Nerd had a 84 FJ45 from Australia, maybe he will chime in?

Diesel 47’s only

Have to disagree. See listings for HJ47 and BJ42 for diesels. Also FJ40 and FJ45 for Petrol. All list as for Australia. After the early sixties the mid wheel base FJ43 was no longer imported to Australia and find no listing for those. I do see late JDM BJ46RV having them. Little searching haven't found them in the HJ47 in Europe. Diesels far out numbered the petrol models in Australia which was Toyota's largest market the 40 series. Also the LWB far out numbered the SWB there which explains why most of these we are seeing in the US are from Australian HJ47s. Hopefully will be getting mine soon from Australia. It's from a HJ47 that will be converting to petrol using a tachometer from a FJ62.

I have never seen a petrol with a tach. I was mainly referring to diesels as having a tach, yes the bj42 got a tach as well in australia. Never seen a euro lefty with a tach.

While not qualifying as “scientific research” I’ve watched a number of YouTube videos featuring 1981-1983 LHD 40 Series and I’ve yet to see one with a tach.

Only show these available in Australia 10/81+. Not sure were standard from that date on in Australia. Most likely on most. Diesels. Petrol I'm not sure. Believe seen a 10/81+ FJ45 for sale in Australia without one. @Cruiser_Nerd had a 84 FJ45 from Australia, maybe he will chime in?
Nothing but a light switch over there on that 84 petrol rig. Pretty basic though with the 4speed, I can't believe it got power steering and disc brakes. ;)
IMG_0225.JPG

Nothing but a light switch over there on that 84 petrol rig. Pretty basic though with the 4speed, I can't believe it got power steering and disc brakes. ;)View attachment 2782621

83 model disc brakes started in Australia and were standard. Five speed was never an option in anything 45 or 47. Power steering was definitely an option. Unlike the HJ47 a tachometer in a petrol seems to be rare. Believe seen once when someone with a FJ40 had a tachometer. Same with the H55F in a FJ40 even in Australia they were rare.

The BJ42's and HJ47's definitely got them here in Aus. I've never seen a petrol one with it but it may have been possible on the LX versions.
I just bought another one and here it is on the kitchen bench.
My standard one plays up a bit and the needle flies everywhere. Hopefully this one works better.

20210912_184115.jpg

The BJ42's and HJ47's definitely got them here in Aus. I've never seen a petrol one with it but it may have been possible on the LX versions.

Part number for petrol tachometer 83270-60030
Date, description, vehicle, market
10.1981-10.1984 TACHOMETER ASSY, ENGINE FJ40,45..ARL
This is from Amayama site.

Listing the FJ45 rules out LX model only since the 45 was never offered in an LX version.

I saw one original tach on EBay (not to be confused with the Chinese knock-offs) and they were asking crazy money for it.
😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom