40 Series Rear Axles Wanted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone got a set of rears kicking around taking up space that they want to part with???
I've got a minitruck IFS rear complete, some thirds, misc. 60/70 series stuff for trades. Or if cash works i've got that too.
Thanks.

Pretty sure i do.

Short side for sure...(all the same aren't they?)

I'll have to do some measuring for the long side...

certainly have that long side shaft in a housing a certain young feller dropped in the weeds behind the porsche that's going back to nature. :lol:

yours for a second round draft pick, if you can't find any closer.

Last edited:
good ,i'll take em'. Better yet pack em' into your truck and come on out for yet another axle/rescue mission.:rolleyes:
Slowandsteadybj and i are on our way to pull the 42 out of Sooke...:hillbilly:

Yep. Going wheelin all over again. This is going to be a fun day. Recovery missions seem to be the new "in" thing these days. Lol!

Lol, I take it you need them soon then?

no can do on the movement today tho, got one knuckle all apart for the r/b, and I'm workin in nanaimo today, so it won't be together until later tonight soonest.

Lol, I take it you need them soon then?

no can do on the movement today tho, got one knuckle all apart for the r/b, and I'm workin in nanaimo today, so it won't be together until later tonight soonest.

No worries Ryan. Adam (hellbent40) came through in the clutch late last night. We called him as soon as we got cell reception and lined it all up for pick up this morning. Thanks.

Good luck lads, sorry I can't be there for the rescue mission this time. Give me a shout when you're back out so I know it's all good.

Say hello to Can-opener for me :flipoff2:

so, c'mon, where's the pictures? I'm sure Cam is giddy with joy at the prospect of someone else being the bitch in a ditch and potentially worthy of the HA award...:lol:

Or...did someone step on a fern or accidentally BF a dolphin so there's too much enviro sensitivity amongst the mainlander dbag crowd for images?

thought Neoworm was next in line for the HA award :D

I also have a spare set of 70 axles complete in courtenay that you can raid... Or take the whole things!

Send me a pm if you need em to replace adams... The inners are same as a 40

only the short side is the same, longs are a smidge longer...

but that's ok, I've already offered up that axle you left in my field...:flipoff2:

back to the story tho, does someone have to go rescue them both now?

I thought that too...but then i was looking at that parts finche program thing and it lists the same part #'s? (or at least the link i saw...)
~
then I saw this:

Random axle specs

seems they're barely different if pre 89....

but I've never had 2 side by side to find out for sure...

only the short side is the same, longs are a smidge longer...

but that's ok, I've already offered up that axle you left in my field...:flipoff2:

back to the story tho, does someone have to go rescue them both now?

I thought that too...but then i was looking at that parts finche program thing and it lists the same part #'s? (or at least the link i saw...)
~
then I saw this:

Random axle specs

seems they're barely different if pre 89....

but I've never had 2 side by side to find out for sure...

yeah I haven't either, think it's an inch or so different wms ... in my random jumble of birfs and inners there's 40,60 and 70...

not sure how bored I'd have to be to go measure tho. at that point I usually cut a piece of wood or weld some random thing to a truck. :lol:

...rolled in around 1:30ish am., thanks to the back-tracking to Jordan River!

Big thanks to "Hellbent40" for the rental 40axles, which i forgot to pickup the first time through Langford and had to double back from Sooke to pick them up...:rolleyes: fawhhhkkkk....
Big thanks to "slowandsteadybj", luckily for me he's semi-retired now and had the time to help a brother out! I actually only had to offer to buy em' lunch at the 17mile pub, load em' up full of beer and he was good to go!!!LOL
Thanks pimp-juice!:grinpimp:
Another 25+ year old axle bites the dust thanks to cyclical shock loading...
BJ42 rear axle.jpg
BJ42 rear axle2.jpg

ouch, least now you know what the 42 would look like with full width axles under it...:lol:

good to hear it wasn't upside down and smoldering when you found it...

We decided to fix it where it sat, saving the axle bearing. Chocked and blocked like nobody's biz-natch, we fished-out the shards, painstakingly pulled the springs from the lunchbox locker and the re-install began.
"Slowandsteadybj"'s inspection of the rear axle yields a--"Good job--lets have a beer"...
shot of the twisted splines...
BJ42 rear axle3.jpg
BJ42 rear axle5.jpg
BJ42 rear axle4.jpg

ouch, least now you know what the 42 would look like with full width axles under it...:lol:

good to hear it wasn't upside down and smoldering when you found it...

yeah no kidding, breaking the tons would be the last thing to worry about, getting around obstacles would be the challenge... time to re-think me thinks...

and yeah the thought of finding it upside down an on fire did cross my mind, that's for sure.

Last edited:
Slowandsteady has to be an expert on roadside axle jobs by now,did you have to beat the old piece with a rock and the pointed end of an umbrella.
The time a few years back when Dingo broke a rear axle we couldnt get the broken piece out and had to remove the front diff and install in rear and drive out in rear wheel drive. We also worried about finding a burnt out hulk when we came back the next day

Slowandsteady has to be an expert on roadside axle jobs by now,did you have to beat the old piece with a rock and the pointed end of an umbrella.

Now that is funny.:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom