40-series maintenance in KC area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Honger

Joel, TLCA #21509
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
SILVER Star
Threads
Quick question for you all... I'm the interloper originally from Topeka who was selling an FJ43 in the area. We sold the truck and the new owner has asked about good places to have service done in the KC area. My father and I can help in the Topeka area... but we don't have the contacts there in KC.

Any places you guys trust with your 40-series work/service? Most guys here do their own I imagine... but was hoping you could recommend someone. I've heard about Adventure Motors KC, but they look to be predominantly newer-model Toyota 4x4's.

Any help is appreciated.

Funny the agent who sold the truck also reached out to me. What kind of service is he going to need? Yes you are correct that most of do our own work, and several of us are more than happy to teach/help someone learn to do their own.

Not sure i would recommend adventure motors for maint. They sell used cars and overland stuff. I have seen some questionable resell activities by them of JDM trucks. prior damage on truck documented when sold in Japan non disclosed in ad here, shows fixed and repainted prior to being sold here in KC. That practice will make me steer clear. I have been to their shop. Good prices on some things but they are mainly a used car dealer. I did not see any actual ability to do mechanical work, just bolt on a roof rack or a lift kit. That is only my opinion and not the opinion of the club.

Funny the agent who sold the truck also reached out to me. What kind of service is he going to need? Yes you are correct that most of do our own work, and several of us are more than happy to teach/help someone learn to do their own.

The "agent" is my dad. =) Sorry to hit you up twice. With the time lag between me and my dad I didn't realize he'd already pinged you.

I think you've already replied to him... and we've definitely pointed the new owner to you guys. Gotta recruit these new owners into the TLCA fold... Cruisers are so much more enjoyable with the community.

Not sure i would recommend adventure motors for maint. They sell used cars and overland stuff. I have seen some questionable resell activities by them of JDM trucks. prior damage on truck documented when sold in Japan non disclosed in ad here, shows fixed and repainted prior to being sold here in KC. That practice will make me steer clear. I have been to their shop. Good prices on some things but they are mainly a used car dealer. I did not see any actual ability to do mechanical work, just bolt on a roof rack or a lift kit. That is only my opinion and not the opinion of the club.

Very good to know. We didn't mention them to the new owner, just pointed him in the direction of Tornado Alley Cruisers. Thanks guys!

Definitely a used car salesman - A friend of mine bought a 4runner from A-M that had a laundry list of updates and maintenance performed. After purchase, my friend took the 4runner to a mechanic friend to have some other work done. Come to find out, A-M didn't do any maintenance on it that they claimed. The owner of A-M did offer to pick up the tab to have the work completed by a third party but only reimbursed my friend half of the bill. Knowing that, I proceeded with caution when I purchased my Tacoma from them. The owner at A-M said they would detail the truck, install new tires, go through the brakes, fluids, etc. When I picked it up, it had the same wore out tires, brakes were spongy, rear brakes clicked, truck was dirty inside & out, and there was oil all over the under carriage from the oil change.

Back on topic though, I do not have any recommendations for maintenance on a 40 series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom