40 Series Headunits/Speaker Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

plink01

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey guys I'm looking to put an original headunit and speakers back into my 1982 bj42.

Most topics on the forum have been done to death but I cant find any real definitive thread on both the headunits and the speakers.

Can you guys please post pictures of your oem headunit and speakers and the speaker locations.

From what I've been reading there is a big square speaker attached the glove box, and another round speaker attached to the drivers footwell next to the fuse box.

Is that the same in every 40??
Was there different variants??
Was the later 40's headunit location DIN size??
Were all 40's speakers in stereo with 2 or did some years only have 1??

Mine is blanked with plywood, but appears to be DIN sized, everything I read says the headunits are smaller than DIN and from the photos I've looked at appears to be the case.

Here is mine, I dont have any speakers.

20200724_214137.jpg

If I recall correctly, it’s a single speaker located in the glove box and it’s a small speaker too.

Last edited:
Yes just the one speaker next to the glove box, I have one at home I can get a photo of it tomorrow if you like.

Awesome thanks mate. I think I'm about to spend a lot of money on the oem speaker and headunit and it would be great to see where its mounted and if I have the holes and wiring etc there.

It was just two holes with two screws that held it in place, and the wiring should be just 4 wires, two power and two for the speaker.

I have the speaker... it’s tiny. I saw it looking for some other parts just a week ago. I’ll try to dig it up and post pictures.

Thanks for the help.

I also need these brackets for the headunit. Does anyone know where i could find some or does someone have the dimensions drawn up so i could make/bend my own?? Toyota don't have any, either does Amayama or PartsSOQ.

Untitled.png

There is also this speaker.

MEB476B.png

Was it only included with models with the cassette head unit option??

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

I'd still love a picture of the glovebox mounted speaker if anyone has one. Thanks guys!

My head unit is long gone but my speaker is still in the glove box. I’ll try to grab a picture of it in a bit.

My PO has installed at least two speakers in my rear ambulance doors. I guess when he did it he just cut the wire to this one at the speaker.

The speak actually faces out through a hole in the side of the glove box:

BE97A897-5BC9-4188-A6E0-DBFBC48E5677.jpeg

Inside, the back of the speaker is protected by this shield:

BD9E143C-12FB-4BFF-8A78-729F8E4972B0.jpeg

0B05FD9C-1B33-4D79-B812-32055A38AA04.jpeg

I was never clear on how you’d be able to hear ANYTHING from on speaker mounted facing the away from the driver’s seat tucked up in the heater vents, but that’s where it is!

I think it predates the cassette based trucks- mine is a 75 and I think may still have come with AM (maybe AM/FM) radio but no cassette.

My PO has installed at least two speakers in my rear ambulance doors. I guess when he did it he just cut the wire to this one at the speaker.

View attachment 2382865

View attachment 2382863

View attachment 2382864

I was never clear on how you’d be able to hear ANYTHING from on speaker mounted facing the away from the driver’s seat tucked up in the heater vents, but that’s where it is!

I think it predates the cassette based trucks- mine is a 75 and I think may still have come with AM (maybe AM/FM) radio but no cassette.

Haha wowee! That was not what i was expecting! That changes everything. Well i won't be going down that path, like you said you would never be able to hear anything.
Currently my set up is a s***box aftermarket headunit is installed in a roof console with two uhf speakers providing the sound. It sounds super period correct, its tinny as all hell!! But it is still probably clearer than that OEM set up. There isnt much Toyota has ever got wrong but sound systems have never been a strong point.

How on earth are you supposed to hear anything when the sound has to bounce off the dash and heater, then go through the footwells and somehow end up at your ears.

20200725_233524.jpg

This is my glovebox. So it looks like it never had the option of the speaker there. The strange plug for the plug in light sits where the speaker would go. Maybe mine was supposed to have that round speaker beside the foot vents. Its a 1982 BJ42 LX.

I’m curious to see what you end up going with. A radio/speakers was high on my list when I bought this truck back in 2011. I never pulled the trigger because in order to actually hear anything I’d have to have the volume so loud I’d be deaf after a long road trip. I’ve got a 350 with a rigid fan. Above 50mph I have to yell at the person in the passenger seat.

The later version of the speaker is smaller. The speaker is riveted to the metal bracket/speaker cover. I still can’t for the life of me find my speaker and I was literally looking at it a week ago.

View attachment 2382865

View attachment 2382863

View attachment 2382864

Always wondered what this hole in my glovebox was.... If you don't have a speaker it is very practical to lose anything you put in the glovebox x)

I’m curious to see what you end up going with. A radio/speakers was high on my list when I bought this truck back in 2011. I never pulled the trigger because in order to actually hear anything I’d have to have the volume so loud I’d be deaf after a long road trip. I’ve got a 350 with a rigid fan. Above 50mph I have to yell at the person in the passenger seat.

This is what the current setup is, i didn't do it, it was previous owner. It's pretty imaginative! Those two UHF speakers are the stereo speakers. You can't hear much from the drivers seat so you turn it up then your passenger goes deaf! I hated it when i first got it but its grown on me, its got heaps of character and sounds super tinny and sounds just like you've gone back in time to the 70's.
My BJ isn't actually that loud, its no 350 Chev and being an LX it has the bonnet sound deadener on it which maybe makes it a bit more quiet. Don't get me wrong its still loud as hell at 100kmph!

20200726_105735.jpg

I think the plan is now to still find an original OEM AM headunit and put it back in the original spot. Remove the current set up and put a two proper speakers in the roof console. I don't really care for the sound quality, i'd just like to be able to hear it and have it look more original.
The price for OEM headunits is pretty crazy though for what your getting, it doesn't even do FM. I found this product online this morning and i think i would probably go down this route.
REDIRAD - Rescue Your Radio
I could hide that behind the dash and have the AUX cord popping out the top of the dash just under my phone holder. I think i've given up on the OEM speaker idea. That was gonna cost a lot of money for something that will probably sound like s***.

Here is the link to a company called RetroSound. No affiliation but a friend put one in his '69 Camaro SS and is very satisfied.

Here is the link to a company called RetroSound. No affiliation but a friend put one in his '69 Camaro SS and is very satisfied.

There’s been some mention of these around the forum before. Probably the route I’d go eventually.

Hi - I have the same year and model as you, and I'm just about to buy one of these:
I can see through the thread that you were probably going to be getting something from Retro Sounds too. Just wondering what you ended up with, and how well the head unit fit? I'm also looking to install speakers into the roof console.

Cheers mate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom