40 series general tech and classifieds (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

will the rear 1/2 doors on the blue one fit my 76? wanna part with if so?
They are not supposed to but you can modify anything ;)

I'm
image.jpg

You would be well served to go to NAPA and buy a 5 gallon bucket of 90 weight with a pump lid that sits on the 5 gallon bucket. Easy way to change all of that gear oil for sure!

Do yourself a favor and buy your gear oil in 5 gallon bucket and get a cheap hand pump. You can thank me later. ;)

Oops, just noticed Bodeans post above. You can thank him later :)

Last edited:
I'm not sure if your Mobile oil has zinc but we run Valvoline VR1 oil in our antique cars. I know it has zinc, for the price I think there may be a little gold too. A mechanic friend of mine recommended it and runs it in his older cars as well. I did happen across an alternative the other day at Autozone. Shell sells a can of zinc additive that covers 5 quarts of oil. I think it was $20/can. I'm not sure if anyone here has tried it but that seems like a good option too.

I read the main 40 tech thread, kinda leaves it up to you, said 6.5-8.5, mine is 8 quarts, Mobile 1 synthetic high mile 10w30 and M1 filter, the 80w90, is that the new version of 90 weight? I need a lot of 90 weight, same thing that I put in my 80 pictures there, I would assume high mileage oil would have the zinc but I'll look, had fuel line air leaks I eliminated last night with 5/16 line, my filter was laying in the splash guard, where does it mount?, need to change the tranny/tcase and diff fluid tonight, couldn't find enough 80w90 in same brand so headed to Sams, this truck is super clean underneath for a 40, dirt not corrosion, no drain plug for fuel tank so took the line off, tank must have been replaced, its empty so new fuel timeView attachment 1443825View attachment 1443826 View attachment 1443827View attachment 1443829 View attachment 1443828

My belief after much reading is that the synthetic oils are good for newer motors with newer tech metals. For the older engines designed prior to these synthetic oils they don't really like synthetics. The higher mileage again I believe is designed for higher mileage newer tech metals. The Mobil 1 does contain zinc but at a lower level than a oil such as Valvoline VR1. The VR1 or any higher zinc content oil is recommended on break in to utilize a oil with a zinc level of 1200 PPM. The Mobil 1 you are using is at a level of 900 PPM. One of the main factors I have read about is the valve train difference. Older engines utilizing pushrods versus hydraulic lifters on newer engines. May not matter in the end but the more zinc PPM the better it will protect your engine on start up.

IMG_2918.JPG
IMG_2920.JPG
IMG_2921.JPG
FREE HOOD!

I paid $20 for this hood a few years ago. The guy wanted $100 but after driving all the way to look at it I hated to leave empty handed. The train of thought was I might could have had someone good at sheet metal work repair it. I did know a guy. Anyhow, I'm tired of looking at it. I've got 2 good hoods now, one for each 40. Headed to Jackson this weekend. I can meet Friday night or Sunday early afternoon. Or I'll just chunk it in the scrap hopper at work.

Anyone have drivers side ambulance door hinges laying around? All I am finding are new are eBay prices.

I might. Shoot me a text reminder tomorrow evening and I'll look.

Hell no don't scrap that!

I'll gladly store it if no one currently needs it
I'll be through Richland 7:00-7:30 tomorrow afternoon and Madison shortly thereafter. Or I can drop it at 49 Tire if that's ok. Just let me know. I'd hate to scrap it, I know how hard these things are to find in any condition.

Last edited:
Why 20w50, to me that's a fuel mileage oil for motors with modern tighter tolerances?

Because @Texican told me so 16 years or so ago. He's always right. Just ask him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom