4 Runner for my little sister (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm starting to look for a 4Runner. Any years I should avoid? I want 4 wheel, but that's just for snow, she'll be using it for kids and sports.

She borrowed my 80 for 2 months and loves it, but the mpg sucks.

Avoid anything with a 3.0L V6 ('89- '95). Actually, just pass on the 2nd gens altogether....

Price range is a big factor. '96 - '02 are 3rd gen, '03 through '09 are 4th gen.

If 4th gen is your target, check out the GX470. I found them to be similar in price (maybe a little less) and more "80 like" and have 3rd row seats if kids are in the picture.

4 Runner for my little sister

Seems like a pretty good deal. I'd trade my little sister for a 4Runner too! :)

I'm a 3rd gen 4Runner advocate however due to the age of them, finding one in good condition is difficult, and maintenance can get up there. Frame rust is an issue with northern vehicles for these.

With the 4th gen you have a better chance of finding something cleaner and with the 4.0l V6 you have a little less maintenance to worry about over the 4.7l V8 that has the timing belt to worry about.

Mileage wise, not to much difference between v6 and v8, I'm not a fan of the full time AWS system on the V8, same as the GX but it's at least cut and dry easy to use

Wow they really do hold their value well, for almost 300k I would have expected like a 2k price tag.

When it comes to the 4th Gen, I have read that 06+ should be the years to focus on, I know a few 03-04 had head gasket issues in the 4.0L. Also in 06 you get some more refinements not much but a few. One is projection headlamps, and I am not sure, but one year finally adds a button to turn off traction control. Keep in mind the limited and sport models (also urban and trail in 08-09) came with the Xreas suspension, alright in stock form, and if it functions correctly, pain to fix when one shock blows, I would recommend ditching the system all together and putting a set of good shocks all the way around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom