4.88's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
has anyone done 4.88's? I've got a 200 on 285/75R17's and think it'd be good to regear. My 200 has a good bit of weight, front bumper w/ winch sliders skids aux fuel tank rear bar etc.

Has anyone done 4.88's with 285/75? Any thoughts on it?

With alrdy paying labor may as well throw a rear ARB locker in there at the same time.

Thanks

has anyone done 4.88's? I've got a 200 on 285/75R17's and think it'd be good to regear. My 200 has a good bit of weight, front bumper w/ winch sliders skids aux fuel tank rear bar etc.

With alrdy paying labor may as well throw a rear ARB locker in there at the same time.

Thanks

Yeah, it’s a popular upgrade around here for folks with large tires, heavy trucks, or both. No regrets but sore wallets is the general consensus.

If the 200 came with 4.3 gears like a tundra, I probably wouldn’t even consider gears. But with 3.9, I’ll probably find a way to clearance the fenders and run 35’s eventually. 4.88 gears with 35’s feels nice. That’s what I have on my Tundra.

I am going with 4.88 gears with a rear locker. My LC 200 will live out most of its life at altitude out west and in the 4-Corners. I tow a fair amount with a loaded vehicle and constantly am driving over the continental divide. My trailer is light, but with the load onboard, grades and altitude, I want the gearing for both going up and down. I am replacing an FJ Cruiser that was great off-road and fine fully loaded by itself, but struggled mightily when towing. I have simply had enough, and want the LC doing this right. I am running 33" tires on stock rims, suspension lift, winch, sliders and roof rack with load. I probably will be into it with bumpers, but I have not been happy with the choices so far. Part of the decision has to do with gearing on the highway under load, the other part has to do with low gearing when off road. In past vehicles I have regeared my transfer cases as well to achieve a spread of lower gears. With the 5.7 engine the low range should be better with the 4.88s. I have a 2015, purchased used in October with the expectation of immediately changing what is required for overland travel.

Thanks

Do you ever plan to go bigger than 285/75?

I run the same tire on my 200 and I don't feel undergeared, though it's not the vehicle I choose if I'm headed to the rocks. If I was aiming for a more "all-purpose" build using the 200, I'd certainly consider 4.88's or 4.30's to give it a bit more crawl ability.

If you're interested in gears & an ARB, give us a shout. We have all the parts in stock and can prebuild you a rear diff with the locker if needs too :cool:

Do you ever plan to go bigger than 285/75?

I run the same tire on my 200 and I don't feel undergeared, though it's not the vehicle I choose if I'm headed to the rocks. If I was aiming for a more "all-purpose" build using the 200, I'd certainly consider 4.88's or 4.30's to give it a bit more crawl ability.

If you're interested in gears & an ARB, give us a shout. We have all the parts in stock and can prebuild you a rear diff with the locker if needs too :cool:

Great I'll definitely give you guys a shout to get pricing that would be smooth and easy thanks.

Appreciate everyone's responses and experiences. Sounds like 4.88's is definitely the way to go. I'm driving my 200 from Arizona to Argentina in May then Cape Town to Cairo so I care about more off the line pep and climbing hills etc rather than doing 85mph on I70.

Right now I'm in Mozambique with a heavy kitted out hilux that makes my 200 with stock gears feel like a rocket ship but just reminds me how much lower end the 200 is missing with all the weight.

Appreciate everyone's responses and experiences. Sounds like 4.88's is definitely the way to go. I'm driving my 200 from Arizona to Argentina in May then Cape Town to Cairo so I care about more off the line pep and climbing hills etc rather than doing 85mph on I70.

Right now I'm in Mozambique with a heavy kitted out hilux that makes my 200 with stock gears feel like a rocket ship but just reminds me how much lower end the 200 is missing with all the weight.

Right on!

I drove a 200 from Cartagena to Ushuaia last summer/fall, the perfect machine for the job. What are your route plans?

The 4.88's will be 47.6% "lower" (numerically higher) than the stock gear, which is 3.307. This means the engine rpm would be 47.6% higher in all gears. I calculate 2452 rpm at 70 mph in 8th with the 4.88's and stock tires and wheels. But, with the higher profile 75 tires, even on smaller 17" rims, you would be reducing the engine speed by about 7% compared to the stock 285/60-18, assuming the 285/75-17 is 33.8" diameter. So combined, the overall effect would be 37.2% higher engine speed in all gears. I calculate 2281 rpm at 70 mph, vs stock at 1662 rpm. In the non-overdrive 1.00 6th gear, the engine speed would be 3394 rpm at 70 mph, vs 2473 rpm stock.

The lowest overall ratio with the 4.88's in low-range and first is 61.260!! :) I'm pretty sure this is why all the rock-crawler guys like this gear.

So, this set-up would definitely give you more pull for a trailer at highway speeds, but your mileage may suffer...;)

I personally like the 3.91 ratio that the 4.6L Tundra gears offer as a good middle of the road option. These would give better overall performance than stock gearing when you have bigger tires, but wouldn't kill you at the pump every 250 miles! And I think the torque of the 5.7L along with the fact that you already get better low-end torque with an automatic and it's torque converter, really offsets the need for ultra-low final drive gearing. It's important for manuals and 6 cylinders, but not so much in the 200. But hey, it's just my opinion, I haven't done any of these mods - yet.

Good luck!

The stock 200 is 3.909 fwiw, 3.307 is lower (numerically) than has every been used on a US spec Cruiser fwiw.

@cruiseroutfit, not to dispute you - I mean no harm, but I'm going on what I have from the Toyota Product Information for my 2017 LC, where from what I understand, the final ratio changed with the new 8-spd transmission in 2016. I didn't think about this with my response before, I don't know what year model @eizenjin91 may have. If it is a pre-2016 200, it would be exactly as you have indicated at 3.909, like the Tundra gear I mentioned before.

upload_2018-2-18_14-54-47.png

Ah, very interesting. I didn't even think to consider the 16/17/18 with the 8 speed. In fact that jives now as there are in fact carrier variances too. Interestingly the 2016 URJ200 we used throughout South America (pulling a trailer at 15-16k feet) didn't feel bad at all. The deeper 1st of the AE80F (4.795) vs the AB60F (3.33) still makes the 16+ a much peppier 1st gear. With that all of your notes are spot on, 3.3->4.88 is a massive jump, massive. 3.3 to 3.9 would be a noticeable and typical jump historically speaking.

My head is still spinning thinking about a 3.3:1 pinion. It will be great in the future for diesel swaps in older Cruisers :D

Yeah, regearing a 2016 requires an earlier carrier, at least if combined with lockers in my case.

And that should have been my clue as we've supported those parts for customers :D

So options wise, this is actually good as it expands the many offerings out there for the 200. I'm feeling a 4.3:1 swap in my personal 200 :cool:

For 2008-2015, I feel 4.88s are perfect for a lifted 200 on 33s+ with a winch bumper. I mean just perfect. The torque converter stays locked on small highway hills at 70 mph, but isn't too low that the transmission never shifts.

To duplicate the final gear of a 2008-2015 with 4.88s, to a 2016+ it would need 4.30s. (because the final drives are different)

I've thought about this a lot as I love my 4.88s with this particular 5.7L and 6 speed, but on my parents 2018, they will probably be getting 4.30s. If they towed a 27 foot airstream or something crazy like that up mountain roads, then I see a need for 4.88s in a 2016+. If they have something much smaller like a Patriot camper and below, then, 4.30s would be the better option, in my opinion.

As far as fuel economy, I promise, you will never see a bit of different between gearing a truck to 4.30s or 4.88s when that truck already has a winch bumper, lift, and off road oriented LT tires. So don't stress over MPG when it comes to gearing. If you want better MPG, do a hidden winch mount at least.

I'm assuming however you didn't change your gearing that massive 48%? That is a huge difference not even possible on the 80 ,100 or most Toyota so it's hard to draw a comparison there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom