3FE valve adjustment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can someone show me where the heck the timing window is located?

It's in the back at passenger side of the bell housing near the starter. There's a little inspection cover that pivots on a bolt. Loosen the bolt a little bit & swing the metal cover out of the way.

Here's more info

Flywheel timing mark is missing?

Well, that's exactly what mine looks like, but on the top cap of the distributor, that's the #1 spot on my girl.

Well, that's exactly what mine looks like, but on the top cap of the distributor, that's the #1 spot on my girl.

Now that makes sense. You were talking about something else.

The rotor points at the cylinder #4 sparkplug, which is the reference. This does translate to number 1 on the dizzy cap, because cylinder number one fires at TDC.

After sinking lots of extra dollars into 93, im ready to revisit this issue! Had a mechanic I trust driving the 80 the other day, he theorized the detonation could be caused by excessive loads on the engine because of the change in tire size and no change in the gearing. Currently running 33s with stock gears.

After sinking lots of extra dollars into 93, im ready to revisit this issue! Had a mechanic I trust driving the 80 the other day, he theorized the detonation could be caused by excessive loads on the engine because of the change in tire size and no change in the gearing. Currently running 33s with stock gears.

Well, it's a theory, but not a very good one. If 33s with stock gearing caused pinging, this thread would have 500 posts.

Well, it's a theory, but not a very good one. If 33s with stock gearing caused pinging, this thread would have 500 posts.
Figured, worth a mention for a second opinion. Getting help soon on the adjustment and then timing wrk. Hopefully between the two problem works out and I'm back to 87!

Need a throttle body gasket. Just got a call from Fred Anderson parts department, Toyota discontinued part (#22271-61020). Any ideas on the best place to start looking?

Need a throttle body gasket. Just got a call from Fred Anderson parts department, Toyota discontinued part (#22271-61020). Any ideas on the best place to start looking?

3FE? Couple years back I got one for my 62 for silly cheap at the big online parts store. May have been a closeout though. Failing that get a sheet of paper gasket material at the parts store and roll your own.

No kidding, the timing is also a 2 man job. One person to stand next to the right fender and hold the timing light down under the distributer with one hand and turn the distributer with the other hand and another person to look at the timing marks from in front of the truck. It's a bugger, but it's can be done.
I put a little bit of white paint directly below the mark on the flywheel so I can see it from the right side fender. Hasnt come off yet and its been over 3 years. Use a fine point paint brush and make a vertical line from the mark heading to the center of the flywheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom