3b Motor struggling to start / Knocking noise and rough idle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So i'm having a bad time starting my 1985 3b motor. It takes about 30 to 40 seconds of cranking and when it eventually starts there's a loud knocking noise from the motor but immediately stops. The idle speed and acceleration vibration is immense and does not ease even at temp. Also there's a pretty noticeable burning smell from the fumes upon start up. Any help would be much appreciated

Glow plugs working? Blowing smoke?

Sounds like one cylinder is toast or at least not firing. First I would do a compression test you need a diesel compression gauge that will go up to at least 500psi. And you will likely find one cylinder low.

Similar story (no knocking) i had a rough running 3b with decent compression ran super rough at anything over an idle took the head off and found two valve springs broken but still holding the valve closed. Not likely your issue, start with the compression test.
46965085-8F29-42EB-85D2-000D6AF8FD50.jpeg

Most likely a glow plug or compression problem, or both.

Sounds like one cylinder is toast or at least not firing. First I would do a compression test you need a diesel compression gauge that will go up to at least 500psi. And you will likely find one cylinder low.

Similar story (no knocking) i had a rough running 3b with decent compression ran super rough at anything over an idle took the head off and found two valve springs broken but still holding the valve closed. Not likely your issue, start with the compression test.View attachment 1588090
Ok thanks for that I'll see how I go removing the head and hopefully I get an answer.

Have you had it long and how many klms has it done? I would compression test it and test the glow plugs before doing anything expensive.
What colour smoke is it making? Does it start white/grey and seem to be pumping from 1 or 2 cyls in time with their compression stroke?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom