3b H55f swap question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Generally speaking, how difficult would it be to swap a 3b diesel H55f Toyota 5-speed with split transfer case into a 40? Combo came from a 1985 BJ60.

My main concern is what parts that are NLA that are going to potentially make this swap a PIA? Tranny top cover?

Anything is doable . Could be a BIG pita, so send it to me and save some headaches. 😁

You talking the engine and transmission? Installing an H55F in a FJ40 depends on what year. The newer the 40 the easier it is. As for a 3B I would import one before going to all the work of doing an F to 3B engine swap. Other than gas mileage not sure what you would gain. Would have to save a lot of money on fuel to offset the cost of a conversion. The five speed in a FJ40 you gain low end for off road and RPM on the highway.

The top cover from a BJ60 five speed will put the shifter further back than stock in an FJ40.

You talking the engine and transmission? Installing an H55F in a FJ40 depends on what year. The newer the 40 the easier it is. As for a 3B I would import one before going to all the work of doing an F to 3B engine swap. Other than gas mileage not sure what you would gain. Would have to save a lot of money on fuel to offset the cost of a conversion. The five speed in a FJ40 you gain low end for off road and RPM on the highway.

The top cover from a BJ60 five speed will put the shifter further back than stock in an FJ40.

I am talking engine/trans/xfer that has been pulled from a BJ60 and putting in a later model NA spec FJ40.

I am just asking if this is doable. Would be a possible future project as I have several late model rigs with gas engines.

I am talking engine/trans/xfer that has been pulled from a BJ60 and putting in a later model NA spec FJ40.

I am just asking if this is doable. Would be a possible future project as I have several late model rigs with gas engines.

Like was mentioned anything is possible. Five speed gets earlier as far as the transmission tunnel 1/79. 8/80 transmission crossmember is already there. 10/82 hump.was redesigned to work with a five speed in all models. With a 40 series H55F from a BJ42 would be direct bolt in. With the BJ60 shifters will not line up. I've Played moving the transfer case shifter forward to match the four speed location. 40 series the five speed the is about a inch further back than the four speed. 60 series shifter both will be further back. Maybe cutting down the fan shroud could relocate the engine forward to help out. B series bellhousing is longer to help keep the transmission and transfer case in the same location on B, F and H engines. Of course unless the late model 40 already has hand brake on the rear axle will have to deal with that. Personally would just find a BJ42 and go from there instead of reinventing what Toyota already did. There are later superior B engine than the 3B. Would need more than a mileage gain to go thru all the work.

Unless you get it really cheap, IMO it's not really worth it. There is more support for an F/2F than there is a 3B. You WILL want to turbo that 3B, it's pretty doggy without a turbo and will be slower than a 2F by far. A turbo setup will pep it up for sure, but it's still no power house. You can find parts for these but they are getting much harder to source.

I've got a 13BT in my BJ74 and wouldn't want any less power or NA diesel.

Another thing the motor mounts on the front frame are different. The right motor mount on the engine is different. Maybe the left but would have to check. The bellhousing 11/84+ rotates the transmission. Transfer case hangs lower on the right side. No 40 series even did this which means will have to be custom crossmember that supports the transmission if the setup is 11/84 or newer. The 10/82+ 40 series crossmember is made for a five speed. That is what I will use to install a H55F behind a 2F.

Unless you get it really cheap, IMO it's not really worth it. There is more support for an F/2F than there is a 3B. You WILL want to turbo that 3B, it's pretty doggy without a turbo and will be slower than a 2F by far. A turbo setup will pep it up for sure, but it's still no power house. You can find parts for these but they are getting much harder to source.

I've got a 13BT in my BJ74 and wouldn't want any less power or NA diesel.
Sounds like the way to go is to keep the 2f and install the H55f/split case at some point as an upgrade.

Sounds like the way to go is to keep the 2f and install the H55f/split case at some point as an upgrade.

you will need a new bellhousing and input shaft for the transmission as well. Puts you pretty close to rebuilding it, but can be done without. you might have to mess with top shift plates as well for the 40.

Don’t get rid of that 3b H55f input shaft, they don’t make new anymore

you will need a new bellhousing and input shaft for the transmission as well. Puts you pretty close to rebuilding it, but can be done without. you might have to mess with top shift plates as well for the 40.

Don’t get rid of that 3b H55f input shaft, they don’t make new anymore

If the cruiser getting the H55F has a four speed the bellhousing will work. Just remove the bellhousing motor and install a crossmember. As far as the transmission it doesn't care which top cover is controlling it. Advantage of the 40 series top cover the transmission shift cane is in the same location. Transfer shifter his just a little further. The 60 series shifter is even further back.
Transfer case shifter from a BJ42 with H55F.
IMG_2798.JPG

60 series transfer shifter used H55F and 4/85+ four speed with dummy spacer on the back.
IMG_2799.JPG

Using other shifter combinations can get the transfer case even further forward.
IMG_20200219_141030884.jpg

Couple pictures that highlight the extra height on the tunnel cover for the higher H55F.
P1050977.JPG
IMG_20180901_170503727.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom