3B Fuel Pump Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking for information to help a fellow cruiser. He has a 77 BJ that a PO has put a 3B in out of 84/85 BJ60. He needs a fuel pump,either new or rebuilt. The Toyota dealers tell me that Toyota has discontinued this pump. So what are my options? Does someone make a pump for the 3B?

Have it rebuilt it is expensive but alot cheaper than a brand new one would cost ...occasionally you can find one off a toasted 3B that someone is selling off the remaining parts.
I assume you are talking about an injection pump (IP) and not a fuel pump like one would find on a gasser.

Have it rebuilt it is expensive but alot cheaper than a brand new one would cost ...occasionally you can find one off a toasted 3B that someone is selling off the remaining parts.
I assume you are talking about an injection pump (IP) and not a fuel pump like one would find on a gasser.

Diesler, you bring up a good question as to IP or FP. I will need to email my friend to get that answer.

Here is a photo of the item we need. Looks like it is bolted to side of injection pump. One of you diesel guys can chime in and clarify IP or FP.
Thanks

fuel pump.jpg

Yes, that would be the low pressure "lift" pump that supplies fuel to the injection pump (the larger pump that the lift is bolted to). Try to find used one somewhere as the are very robust and the need to go new is probably not necessary.

This is Alex from Russia.
It helps me to Kevin to find this pump.
Maybe try to put the pump from engine's "H" - series.
Or from the engine 13B or 13BT
Maybe this will work?

Yes, the priming pump ( the cylindrical hand pump that screws into the lift pump body, which is bolted to the front of the injector pump) is a common diesel part (found on many engines), and easily replaced. While you have it out, look at the manual and check that the lift pump check valves are nice and clean on their matin faces. Anneal all copper ring gaskets, reassemble and run for another million miles.

That's the primer pump. Bosch primer pumps are relatively cheap (under $10 online) and easy to install. Here is one thread of many on this site dealing with these pumps - https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/696890-leaking-priming-pump-3b.html.

:cheers:

Yes, the priming pump ( the cylindrical hand pump that screws into the lift pump body, which is bolted to the front of the injector pump) is a common diesel part (found on many engines), and easily replaced. While you have it out, look at the manual and check that the lift pump check valves are nice and clean on their matin faces. Anneal all copper ring gaskets, reassemble and run for another million miles.

I think you guys have misunderstood.

I think KJohnson's arrow points to the "fuel feed pump" (to use Mr Toyota's terminology) which what the primer pump screws into.
fuel pump.jpg

And I'd like to see photos of how these pumps fail because I've always considered them to be capable of lasting forever without even needing any maintenance (so long as they receive clean fuel).

PS. Should be readily obtainable second-hand as others have said

The fuel feed pump used on an 84/85 BJ60 is the same as that used in B, 2B and 3B engines used in Land Cruisers, Dynas, Coasters from 1977 to 1988. So if the old original B-engine is still lying around you can even use the fuel feed pump off that.

This is Alex from Russia.
It helps me to Kevin to find this pump.
Maybe try to put the pump from engine's "H" - series.
Or from the engine 13B or 13BT
Maybe this will work?

I would have expected this too. However the EPC doesn't support this interchangeability. (It doesn't list any H-series motor as having the same FUEL FEED PUMP ASSY as an 84/85 BJ60. And from memory, I think it lists only one model with a 13B and that was a Taiwan-spec vehicle which would be unavailable to most of us... )

fuel pump.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your comments. The photo came from Alex whom I am helping obtain the fuel system part he needs. I believe lostmarbles is correct in saying it is the lower part in the picture where the tip of the arrow is touching. I need to confirm this with Alex.

x2 the arrow is pointing to the primer and they all tend to leak over time just install the Bosch as mentioned.
The square thing in the back is the IP which is rebuildeble by any Denso certified diesel shop.

I have had to replace the fuel feed pump on my 84 3b, it was leaking diesel into the oil, wasn't sure what was causing this so I lucked out and bought a 3b with a h55. put the fuel feed pump on and my oil looks like oil now not blackened diesel. not sure what happened to it but replacing it fixed my problem

Thanks everyone, I have heard back from Alex as to exactly the parts he is looking for. He wants the priming pump and unit that it screws into which from what I gather is the lift pump. The primer pump sounds like it is available on ebay, is there some place I can order both for Alex?

brisveganbj42 Simple answer no to using rotary

Thanks everyone, I have heard back from Alex as to exactly the parts he is looking for. He wants the priming pump and unit that it screws into which from what I gather is the lift pump. The primer pump sounds like it is available on ebay, is there some place I can order both for Alex?

At least we have it comfirmed that he want this entire assembly (circled in red):

FuelFeedPump.jpg
(I don't think it matters which side the primer is mounted on)

And that part number is 22510-56040 PUMP ASSY, FUEL FEED for an 84/85 BJ60.

Here's a whole injector pump you could buy to get it...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BJ40-Inj..._Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a86da41f6&_uhb=1

But that's a bit expensive.

Find someone with a blown motor or who's doing an engine swap..

There's lots of people that dump lower-power engines such as the B-engine in favour of engines such as the 13BT. And I'll bet they'd sell parts off the old engine very cheaply in many cases. Perhaps even GIVE them away..

:beer:

FuelFeedPump.jpg

I have had to replace the fuel feed pump on my 84 3b, it was leaking diesel into the oil, wasn't sure what was causing this so I lucked out and bought a 3b with a h55. put the fuel feed pump on and my oil looks like oil now not blackened diesel. not sure what happened to it but replacing it fixed my problem

Thanks.

It's puzzled me for quite a while how Toyota seals the piston from leakage.

I'd love to take one of these feed pumps apart and inspect it thoroughly.

:beer:

lostmarbles, thanks for your help and diagram. The search to help Alex goes on.
Kevin

I am looking for information to help a fellow cruiser. He has a 77 BJ that a PO has put a 3B in out of 84/85 BJ60. He needs a fuel pump,either new or rebuilt. The Toyota dealers tell me that Toyota has discontinued this pump. So what are my options? Does someone make a pump for the 3B?
we have the same pump on a loader Kmatso you need too exchange the follower but it simple any questions call Fuel pump 3b diesel

Find you a Bosch authorize diesel fuel injection shop will cost less than 150.00 to build it more than likely

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom