31x12.50 Thornbirds with No Lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

andrew7elk said:
Go with the Thornbirds!!! :) :)

I think I will, 33x10.50 Thornbirds, and I could just keep my stock wheels. $570 with shipping.

DONT go with the thornbirds. Any real 4 wheeler knows that they're interco's show tire. They sure do look mean though. I would suggest going with a swamper, just not the thornchickens.
Hildy

What about 32x10.50 Swamper TSL Radials? Id' feel safer with these without the lift as they're a little smaller, will help keep the gears a pinch lower, and should fit with more room to play. They're also $15 cheaper per tire.

My brother had some thornbirds on a rig a few years back, and he didn't like them either. They are mean looking, I've always liked them for that.

wheezy said:
So, i need more backspacing? no problem. can I fit 33's with no lift though? That's a tight fit. 32x11.50 would be nice, but not many come in that size.

You need less backspacing. Like 3.5, 3.25 or 3 3even. I am running 3.75 on my 60, 15X8s and a 12.50 tire with no problems. But they are wagon wheel rims, old school white spokes. Some of the other styles have the windows stamped and the lip on the back will rub the caliper.

You know what.... most people you will talk to will say thronbirds are bad, but im guessing that prob 80% of them have never had thornbirds before. I have them and i love them. The only problem i have with them is they are loud. As far as ride.. they started out wobbly, but mine are also 14.5" wide. I was able to calm the wobbling down, and it no longer is a problem. As for off road use, their great. They go through mud like crazy, the side lugs make a huge difference! Im not exactly sure what you are interested in using the tires for. But if your truck is a daily driver/off roader, with not a whole lot of highway use, i would say go for the tires! Also they look awesome everyone stares lol :D

wheezy said:
So 33's with no lift won't hit the top of the wheel well under full flex? If 12.50 is too wide then I'll look for a skinnier tire. I plan to lift it sometime, within the next 6 months, so if I could for the meantime get away with 33x12.50's then that would be great, and save me having to buy another new set of tires. I was planning on just running the 31's for a bit and then selling them, obviously taking a loss but I really need to get rid of the POS's I'm sitting on right now.

I did find some 33x10.50 Thornbirds for $135 each.

As far as I can remember, on stock suspension, the following larger size tires won't rub on full stuff:
33X9.50
31X10.50

On some trucks 33X10.50 will rub, maybe depens on how you use it.

If you don't wheel it until you get the new suspension, then you can go as big as 33X12.50. Height and width are both important in rubbing.

As to what kind of tire to get, I say buy what makes you happy. It's your truck. If it rubs when flexed, don't flex the suspension until you get the lift.

andrew7elk said:
Also they look awesome everyone stares lol :D

That's a damn bad justification for buying tires. You sound like all the posers from high school that just want a tall truck with expensive non-functional s*** on it. Thornbirds have done poorly in at least one test I've seen, so unless you can come up with a better reason than people staring, that ain't gonna cut it.

My reccommendation would be to get BFG mud terrains. They're a good compromise between road use and off-road ability. Definitely better off-road than the thornbirds, and they are reasonably quiet on-road. I'd say get them in 10.5 inch width on new wheels. I'm not sure about the height - my 60 isn't on stock suspension, so I can't say for sure. However, I run 33 inch tires on mine, and it's about 2-3 inches above stock. I could maaaybe squeeze 34s in, but I doubt it, so you'd probably be better off with either 31 or 32s, or waiting for your lift to get 33s. Unless of course you can hold off on flexing it much until then, in which case you can probably make 33s work for now.

I don't have any experience with the pro-comps, so I can't say if they're good or not.

Edit: My reason for saying not to get 12.5 inch wide tires is that generally they aren't very good on-road. They are a lot heavier than something a couple of inches narrower, and gas mileage suffers as a result, as well as handling.

I've pretty much settled on 32x10.50's in whatever I can find. Super Swampers have a radial in that size, and aren't too bad on price. I'll decide when I do buy though, in a few weeks.

I really appreciate all the feedback though! I'm sure there are lots of tire forums etc of this same topic, but you still did a great job answering!!

Feel free to give me more advice!

wheezy said:
Feel free to give me more advice!

since you asked.. Don't buy thornbirds.

They just aren't a great tire on road or off.

I'd buy a TrXus MT, Goodyear MTR, BFG MT, TSL Radial, Firestone Destination MT any number of other GOOD tires instead.

Honestly, I've never heard a SINGLE good word about Thornbirds.

here's my 2 cents:

first of all 12.5 is too wide for a 31" tire IMO, but good for 33" and above. I have a similar setup as stinky, 3.75 " BS and 33x12.5s on 15x8's. They tuck into the wheel wells nice (i have about 3" of lift). I have BFG MTs and am generally happy with them. My next set will be TrXus MTs though, better all around tire. But yours sounds like more of a weekend toy than a DD so you can get away with more aggressive tires. TSL's?

VTCruiser said:
first of all 12.5 is too wide for a 31" tire IMO, but good for 33" and above. ?

Why so? Because it looks wierd? More width = better traction on most surfaces.

Corvette's drive around on 14" wide tires IIRC, not too wide for them... I know... apples and oranges...

But what makes a 33x12.5 better than a 31x12.5 as far as width is concerned?

VTCruiser said:
here's my 2 cents:

first of all 12.5 is too wide for a 31" tire IMO, but good for 33" and above. I have a similar setup as stinky, 3.75 " BS and 33x12.5s on 15x8's. They tuck into the wheel wells nice (i have about 3" of lift). I have BFG MTs and am generally happy with them. My next set will be TrXus MTs though, better all around tire. But yours sounds like more of a weekend toy than a DD so you can get away with more aggressive tires. TSL's?

Yeah, this is a toy. I paid my Camry off, and finally found a pretty good deal on a 'Cruiser, and picked this up for my play car. (No wife {yet} and so I'm the only person on the budget commitee.) 32x10.50 Super Swamper TSL Radials seem to be the best bet for me, for not having a lift. They'll fit, and they shouldn't rub as they are a narrower tire.

Doc said:
Why so? Because it looks wierd? More width = better traction on most surfaces.

Corvette's drive around on 14" wide tires IIRC, not too wide for them... I know... apples and oranges...

But what makes a 33x12.5 better than a 31x12.5 as far as width is concerned?

refering to trucks, offroad tires and a daily driver, its strictly personal preference.

and yes, apples and oranges, cars are a whole different story... :cool:

well, since there is such good debating going on here, I can weigh in...

149$ per tire at tirerack.com BFGoodrich Mud terrains 33 X 10:50's, that way you can avoid buying tires when you lift it and you can wear them out over the next 5 years on and off the road.

I had thornbirds, they suck and it is not a stereotype IMO. HTH.

That's a damn bad justification for buying tires. You sound like all the posers from high school that just want a tall truck with expensive non-functional s*** on it. Thornbirds have done poorly in at least one test I've seen, so unless you can come up with a better reason than people staring, that ain't gonna cut it.

I did come up with a better reason #1 Their a good mud tire (maybe not better than the boggers but in my opinion better than bfg muds) #2 their not bad on the street, just loud on the highway

I have had bfg muds.... and the thornbirds are a way better tire in the mud, but i am running 35x14.5 thorns and i had 33x12.5 muds. Tho the muds are a smoother and quiter ride on the road than the thornbirds. (i understand that alot of ppl dont like the thornbirds im just telling my opinion, cuase i know there is a small group of us who do like them.)

"expensive non-functional s***" so whats an example of an inexpensive fuctional off road item??? (the problem is there insnt much, its an expensive sport)

Now if you notice i wasnt that rude to you even after you decided to make your opinion of me pretty clear! Have a nice day :)

Now dealing with tires again, i have a set of pro comp muds 33x12.5, and i wouldnt get them again. They preform fairly well, but once they start to wear down they get really wobbly, the tires vibrate like crazy on the road.

Wheezy!

Gosh! Please dont do it!

I had thornbirds on for years, they do have some "good" things:

Great looks, I still think they are the coolest looking tire.
They are tough... never had a single issue offroad.
Work great in sand and snow... that is about it.
They air down well.

I feel the bads outweigh the good by FAR! The bads:

Tragic vibration (these are bias ply)
Flat spots when cold.
They WANDER LIKE MAD. (I rebuilt my entire front end looking for a cure, the tires were the cause!)
Useless in the Mud...
Dangerous in the rain...
Loud on the highway...

They run wider than most 12.5's too, but that can be okay.

I switched to Goodyear MTR's, and I WILL NEVER GO back!

If you need swampers or just want them, I would go with the radial versions.

Flame away if you disagree (I really only live the 40 side) but I have had real experience.

WHEEZY! READ MY SIGNATURE... I have an opinon on this one.

Rezarf <><

Please NOOO thornturds... A guy went wheeling with us in his YJ and he couldnt go hardly anywhere in a rocky creek spinning all over just pitiful. I have never heard anything good except they look kinda cool and they last forever. There is a guy on another board that i go on thats trying to get rid of a set of 31x12.5 thornturds hes asking $75 and cant get rid of them!!

I've pretty much settled on the Radial TSL's. My brother had thornbirds on his rig, and he had nasty wandering on the road too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom