2JZ GTE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have a spare built motor (back up) for the supra.. Toying with the idea of swapping the 80 with a GT35r 2J.. I have a guy that will make the bell housing to keep the stock trans..

Looked at all other options such as 1HDT or 2UZ.. Just way too much money

Your thought???

That could be a lot of fun. I have a feeling the stock trans wouldn't like the power you make with a GT35r.

How much more power and torque would it be compare to a LS1 motor?

Is it twin turbo?

I have a built GTE in my GS300 and debated doing that in the fj, but ended up doing the 2uz instead.
I would not object to reading a 2j build thread in a cruiser though :-j

Edit: so here's the cool thing. In lieu of doing a custom bellhousing to go 1j/2j to the a442; the a343 could be used with the fj100 tailshaft so the awd case could be retained. Or simply bolt up the whole fj100 trans. Let the aristo/supra ecu control it ftw

Well I have a 42r on it right now.. That set up is a bit much since that made 840whp, I think a 35r will be just right.. From what I understand the bell housing that is being made will be a complete bolt on to the 2j/1j.. As far as management I also have an aem since I switch to motec on the poopra. I have 5/95 production.. What tranny is on there.. I'm still new to the cruiser world

No useable low down tq. Not good for a off road rig
The low shift points for the stock transmission won't get you to the right power band

Not a good choice imho

lt1fire said:
The low shift points for the stock transmission won't get you to the right power band

Not a good choice imho

How about a 30r.. That should have some power down low..

This motor was going to go in my GS too but the wife wants me to leave that alone.. She already hates how I put wheels and dropped it..lol

lt1fire said:

Not a good choice imho

And you re giving me second thought on this now since I want to go off roading with this..

Stock twins or a small single would be usefull. It depends on what your doing with the rig. All street = 35r ftw
Does it see trails ? Rocks and steep terrain ? Mud ?

toojayzee said:
Stock twins or a small single would be usefull. It depends on what your doing with the rig. All street = 35r ftw
Does it see trails ? Rocks and steep terrain ? Mud ?

Def want to see all of the above.. 30r be small enough

Why cant you run a compound turbo setup? Would that fix the torque problem?

Some variant of a 30 would work or a pair of disco potatos. If you want to do it, don't let other people talk you out of it. I personally think it would be BA.

2jzgte's are toyota-fanboy show motors, good for nothing but benchmark hp numbers.

Well thats not true, but like its said 'what do 400, 600 and 800 hp supras all have in common? They all run 11s.' which is obviously still quick.

wall-of-boost is the most useless kind of torque curve you could have in an offroader.

Maybe as a show toy to take to toyota conventions...

Pics of the GS and Supra? Sounds like you got a straight six fetish:grinpimp:

Funny, I was talking to a 80 owner today who was thinking of doing this in the future too.

i have seen a 80 with 2jz single big turbo in it,the 80 is the king of road.he can blast trough the highway..no prblm reaching 200kmh..BUT when he reach out the offroad,..his 2jz is no match 2 my 1hzt....( i have to winch him out when that petrol engine died when trying cross river and tow it when climbing up a hill..)

A 2jz may not be an ideal engine swap, but it's a proven strong engine with HUGE aftermarket support. I'm interested in it because in Japan 2jzs are a dime a dozen with a bazillion tuners around, whereas something like a small block v8 is simply not available or would cost a ton of money to procure. Availability plays a big part in the decision making process, so for the OP with a built 2jz just lying around it sounds like a no-brainer if he can use a transmission that will shift at 8000 instead of 4000, or a manual transmission thats's strong enough.

My poopra

image-3591922505.jpg

My 80

image-3024372554.jpg

GS before drop

image-1310499440.jpg

Another straight 6

image-3154330878.jpg
image-3591922505.jpg
image-3154330878.jpg
image-3024372554.jpg
image-1310499440.jpg

For the supras that run 11, I did that with stock twins.. 4whp

That's another concern.. How will it hold up to water crossings etc??? Lots of electronics.. I want to build this truck so I can go crazy when there is no road..

Toojayz.. I was up all night reading through your build..

I'd say get a more suitable engine for the rig if you want a swap or SC the stock engine that is in there.

If you want to stay toyota there are engine swaps out there that make tons of sense.
If you want tons of power and useable TQ for the truck look at an LS2. If I was going to do a V8 petrol swap it would be that for sure. Takes a ton of weight off the front, very robust and makes gobs of power stock and tons of power modified, and it's been done before so there are people on here that can help with the swap. It's not the cheapest v8 swap but i'd say cheaper than a yota V8 swap and by looking at the supra i'm guessing you like to spend money on your vehicles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom