2h Turbo Blown Intake Manifold Gasket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was replacing the push-rod cover gasket on my Hj60 2h engine to mitigate a bad leak. While re-installing the turbo plenum, I pressure tested the intake manifold and turbo plenum and noticed a loud hissing sound coming from the mating surface of the intake manifold and CYL 1 (one) on the head. With the air compressor blowing through a schrader valve, i cant hold ANY pressure, (i.e. its a pretty big hole). Poking around with a feeler gauge indicates there is a missing portion of the seal about 1/2"-3/4" wide. Not sure when it blew out. To avoid over speeding the turbo, I'm preparing to replace all the intake manifold gaskets.

Since the stock gaskets were not meant to take boost, I'm concerned about doing this job more than once. However, scanning the forum here, this does not appear to be a common issue. Im soliciting any advice on this repair job in advance. I have a new set of gaskets on order from Australia.

Thanks,

How much pressure did you apply to "pressure test" it? These should be available from toyota here in the states. Make sure you go back with a factory gasket. Just make sure all the mating surfaces are clean and flat and your studs or bolt threads are clean and properly torqued. This should be a straight forward repair.

I agree with @roma042987 this is a straightforward repair.. all injector lines have to come off of, glow plug wiring has to be disturbed, the two vacuum hoses to the injector pump have to removed, EDIC rod has to come, EDIC wiring has to be unplugged. Thankfully you are unlikely to come across any issue with getting the nuts off the mounting studs.

There's nothing difficult about the job. And you're right this is not a common issue and its a chance to do a big cleanup of everything whilst you have it apart.

Last edited:
Thanks to both of you. Do you happen to know the Toyota part number for those gaskets? That description for parts removal sounds easy enough, the time consuming part will be the clean up.

I just got done cleaning the exhaust side of the engine from the push-rod cover leak. That was a proper mess. I found a combo between purple de-greaser, brake cleaner, and a steam cleaner does pretty good. All this started because i installed a oil catch can between the intake air and the crank case vent, hoping to slow down the oil flow through the intake. Once the catch can was installed, i saw significant amounts of oil to come out the push-rod covers (boo). Still not sure why the oil catch can caused that much restriction. Once i get all the other stuff sorted out, ill get back to that one.

I run about 8PSI of boost is all under normal conditions (measured/controlled at the intake manifold on the cold side of the air charge cooler). Due to the size of the hole in the intake manifold gasket, the pressure test never made it past 0psi. When excluding the intake, I ran the pressure up to 14psi, everything held fine. I understand the intake manifold itself can have small leaks, I hope to check for those too while im at it.

I never checked the intake manifold before now (like when i installed the turbo years ago), assuming one of the cyl would always have an exhaust valve open, glad i gave it a try.

I think I found the part number....

1672705240243.png

Well the part I ordered came back as a stamped sheet metal gasket, I'm pretty sure won't work because I need this to seal. For 8lbs of pressure.

Second call for par numbers. Anyone know what the correct part number is? 17111-68021 was metal and won't work.

I'm considering trying some specialty rtv that handles a little pressure but I'd like to get a better idea of what gaskets are available first.

Thanks in advance.

I just buy them over the counter at my local parts shop.. they are the fibre type gasket - almost cardboard if anything.
Ebay Australia has many examples. Megazip just shows the exhaust one for inlet. No way I'd be using any RTV etc.. not because it'd do any damage just because I'd be embarassed if anyone saw it :)

I just buy them over the counter at my local parts shop.. they are the fibre type gasket - almost cardboard if anything.
Ebay Australia has many examples. Megazip just shows the exhaust one for inlet. No way I'd be using any RTV etc.. not because it'd do any damage just because I'd be embarassed if anyone saw it :)

I contacted the supplier of your post. That exact set is also metal. Thanks for trying, I had the same issue with another supplier on ebay too. Oh boy this is turning out to be a pain.

I contacted the supplier of your post. That exact set is also metal. Thanks for trying, I had the same issue with another supplier on ebay too. Oh boy this is turning out to be a pain.
Hi, what Gaskets did you end up going with? I have oil leaking from a few of mine, it builds up into a sludge eventually over a few months. I ordered a new set of gaskets from toyota. 17171-68011. The model number you posted earlier is the actual manifold no? thats the number in the diagram at least. Anyways, the ones I got are stamped metal like you said. I was going to put them in until I saw this post. Are you sure that they wont be sufficient? I Know nothing of turbo stuff. first turbo, and the PO did it. But I haven't read yet anywhere of people using a different gasket after turboing the 2h. If you could let me know what and where you got them id be stoked.

Hi, what Gaskets did you end up going with? I have oil leaking from a few of mine, it builds up into a sludge eventually over a few months. I ordered a new set of gaskets from toyota. 17171-68011. The model number you posted earlier is the actual manifold no? thats the number in the diagram at least. Anyways, the ones I got are stamped metal like you said. I was going to put them in until I saw this post. Are you sure that they wont be sufficient? I Know nothing of turbo stuff. first turbo, and the PO did it. But I haven't read yet anywhere of people using a different gasket after turboing the 2h. If you could let me know what and where you got them id be stoked.
I ended up buying a roll of gasket material my my local auto parts store. I cut it out with an exact-o knife. I used one of the metal ones I had purchased as a stencil. They fit perfect and worked great. The gasket was a grey laminate of cardboard of some kind, looked almost identical with the original ones that i pulled off of the intake manifold. it took me a little under an hour to make all 6 of them.

Hope that helps!

Factory 12HT, 1HD-# etc intake gaskets are MLS, I'd use the factory ones ahead of any paper/composite gasket.

Factory 12HT, 1HD-# etc intake gaskets are MLS, I'd use the factory ones ahead of any paper/composite gasket.
whats MLS? so your saying the better move is to rock the OEM toyota stamped metal boys? That would make me happy, since I have a pack of those in my hand.

MLS = Multi layer steel. Yes I'd use the OEM gasket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom