2FE Coolant leak from the rear head freeze plug. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ChaserFJ60

Owner of CruiserHead.com
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
cruiserhead.com
I just rebuilt this engine myself and had it machined at a machine shop, Less than 15k miles on it. Ive been chasing coolant leaks because I decided to reuse old cooling hoses. All the hoses are fixed now but i still had drips under my car when i park, so i put some UV dye in the coolant to see where this fresh coolant was coming from. It first appeard to be coming from the back of the head gasket but with further investigation i can see it with a blacklight, the coolant is leaking from the bottom of the rear freeze plug and flowing around the HG.

The machine shop replaced all the freezeplugs for me. And there is no UV dye coming from the top or sides of the freeze plug, just the bottom. My next course of action is to pull the head and pray that its not cracked... any imput on to what else i should look at would be fantastic...

I tightend the 4 rear headbolts to 100ft/lbs. they were looser than the other bolts... im hoping that will fix my issue but im very doubtful

I meant if the head comes off, have the machine shop pressure test the head. If they don't have the equipment to do that, find a shop that does. It's important.
Small cracks can be invisible to magnafluxing.

I meant if the head comes off, have the machine shop pressure test the head. If they don't have the equipment to do that, find a shop that does. It's important.
Small cracks can be invisible to magnafluxing.
Thats my fear, i just slapped this all back together and then this happens. I'll update this thread on to what happens

Why not replace the leaking freeze plug before you go through anything more substantial?
Right now its just a drip, sometimes it leaks somtimes it dosent. This is my only car too so if i can avoid putting it down for a weekend i want to avoid that. im going to run it for one more week to see if my miracle fix worked, if it still leaks by thursday im going to order the parts and get er done

Best pictures i have, couldn't get my phone camera to see the freeze plug leak/potential crack.
20190406_143844.jpg
20190406_144025.jpg

Ok so no new leaks since i tightend the headbolts... im confused because it looked like coolant was dripping from the freezeplug... so far so good. I think.

Head gasket... the the light green is coolant. The importance of torque sequencing cannot be played down.... new leak is coming from the other side of the block. Im going to go ahead and just fix it
20190513_145242.jpg
20190513_145246.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom