255/85r16 mounted on FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Maxxis Bighorn in 255/85, mounted on 16x7 steel wheels.

matt_dc.jpg

Hard to tell...what steel wheels are those?

They are Stockton's heavy duty steel wheel- series 22 IIRC. I had them built to spec: 16x7 with 3.5" of BS.

40_jc.JPG

Johnny, were those LT255/85r16 tires? How did you like them last winter?

The Cooper Discover ST 255/85R16 worked out really well ... I was more happy because of the price :) they were a tad smaller than my past 255/85r16 from toyo (M-55) ... but well worth the $$$ and performed sooo far as good as my past Toyo's at under 1/2 the cost LOL

Bumping an old thread.

I'm deciding between 235/85R16 or 255/85R16 on 70 series spoked rims. I want to run them on stock FJ40 suspension. I'm sure the 235's will work fine. Has anyone tried the 255 size on a 6 inch rim, stock springs. Dimensionally they are only a tad bigger than the extinct 33x9.5, those seemed to fit okay without a lift. Will a 255 hit the fenders or rub badly.

My 40 has an OME lift (2-2.5") with the 255/85's on 16x7 rims. I didn't have any issues rubbing up front. In the rear I did get a slight rub on the sheet metal on the inner fender where it bends back in toward the frame. I had to hammer it up a bit and bend the lip out of the way to prevent the rub.

I thought I would post up my tire findings.

I got my 70 series rims, man those are beefy. I ended up getting Hercules Terra Trac tires, 235/85R16. Cheapest heavy AT I could find in town, man tires have gone up.

Mounted on stock suspension rig they clear pretty good. I noticed the tire must be touching one aftermarket rollbar bolt in the rear fender well, right above the tallest point of the tire under articulation, no fender rub. On the front at full stuff they just clear all the sheetmetal but the drivers tire does contact and get stopped up on the draglink/pitman arm area when stuffed and turned full left. I will have to avoid tight turns in that condition, or maybe set out the steering stop a tad. Otherwise no rub at all on level ground. They really fill out the wheel wells.

The stiffer tires feel great on the road though. I was afraid of a harsh ride, but they are not bad at all, and feel very stable in the corners, better than the previous tires I've run I thought. Not squirrely either as some have mentioned.

Pictures?

I'll see what I can do this weekend. Been meaning to take several of things.

revived:)

I like the white rims ;) JohnnyC are those splits? Jacket what rims are those on the green one?

Looking for more reviews on cooper ST and cooper ST Maxx on a FJ40 in 255 and 235 by 85x16.

The cooper website makes the ST Maxx look better in almost all categories (except looks IMO) so leaning towards that tire, especially for road noise. Would like studs too in winter for mountain runs

oops, they are stockton's ^^^ my bad. missed this page of the thread...

Yea - mine were made by Stockton - 16x7.

I'm on my second set of ST Maxx's on my 80. I really like them for mixed use pavement and dirt. Tread pattern is a good blend of AT and MT, and you get the ArmorTek 3 ply sidewall. Like most aggressive tires, they are nice and quiet in the beginning, and get progressively louder over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom