22re Burnin' oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A while back I noticed the oil light come one. Checked the oil and it barely registered on the dip stick.
I hadnt been paying attention to the time that had passed or mileage that had passed but it wasnt long.
After having some suspension and gearing work done I gave it an oil change and started clocking the miles.
I switched to 20w/50 to see if that would help the situation but I'm guessing it kinda a marginal difference at this point, but like I said I hadnt clocked it prior. Oh and this would be the second oil change since I purchased the truck. I have only had the truck for a year now.
Today I took the kid to the beach and needed to fill up so I decided to check the oil. The light wasnt on but it was way low.
So with in 700 miles it had burnt enough oil to need 2.5 quartz. Decided that I would make .5 of that Lucas high mileage oil additive.
Everything I have read is that it is not uncommon for the 22re to burn oil but obviously this is excessive.
Blue smoke on start up with a sooooooty exhaust pipe.
From what I read and the couple mechanics i talked to, Im thinking that its most likely the valve stem seats/seals. What says mud?

The truck now has 130000 miles on it. Maintenance records on the truck is lacking but it is super clean and I plan on keeping it for a long time hopefully.
Prior to realizing about the oil consumption I bought a timing kit because theres no record of that ever being done.
Looking for any experienced feed back on whether Valve stem seats are a thing best left to the pros or not.
As far as my experience goes on a 22re is Air plenum pulled and hot bathed, fuel injectors installed and flushing the cooling system.
The timing chain was going to be a new frontier for me.

Picture included because...

Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 8.06.21 PM.png

Last edited:
Fly me down and I’ll do your timing chain :)
Probably your valve seals but could be your rings. Do a compression test.

Fly me down and I’ll do your timing chain :)
Probably your valve seals but could be your rings. Do a compression test.

The PO said the compression test was good but the only proof of that was the numbers written on the valve cover. HAHA

Doesn't help with your oil issue, but man your truck is a beauty!

Forget the compression test, get a leakdown test done. It will tell you WHERE there are any leaks in the combustion side. If the leakage isn't too bad through the rings, then pull the head, do the valve seals, timing chain, etc.

Forget the compression test, get a leakdown test done. It will tell you WHERE there are any leaks in the combustion side. If the leakage isn't too bad through the rings, then pull the head, do the valve seals, timing chain, etc.

This is what I meant lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom