$ 22.00 keyless entry system installed on my 92 fj80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SUMMIT CRUISERS

SILVER Star
Threads
After years of fumbling around with the keys to unlock the truck, I finally installed a remote keyless system on my 1992. Cost was 22.00 + tax which I purchased at Pep Boys. The install took about 4 hours which included removing the driver’s door to access the rubber grommets/conduit to run the wire through into the lower kick panel.
I first probed into the wiring harness coming from the door to the kick panel with a grounded test light to try to locate the lock and unlock wires with no luck. One wire (when applying ground) was found that performed the lock function but no unlock wire was found. Upon removing the inner door panel a door control module was found that obviously had something to do with this. I then went to the actual lock/unlock switch harness to locate two wires that controlled the locks. I then realized I needed to run two wires into the door from the inside kick panel and attach them in parallel to the two wires found.

Parts needed: Bulldog Alert model KE 1702R keyless entry system, electrical tape, friction
tape, test light, wire strippers and pocket knife, 12mm wrench, 10 mm socket and
wrench, zip-ties.

Steps for install:
1. Remove the foot rest with a 10mm socket top and bottom bolts.
2. Remove the inner kick panel, pull carpet back at the top left corner to access a
plastic “thumb screw” and lift off door seal.
3. Remove the driver’s door master window and lock switch panel. This is done by
lifting up on the right side then sliding it up and to the right.
4. Unplug the connector and note the second picture attached that is labeled L and U for lock
and unlock.
5. Test and label (L and U) the two found wires with a test light hooked up to
ground and probe into the socket to lock and unlock the doors. The 91 and 92’s
use the ground (negative) to activate the locks.
6. Remove the inner door panel by removing the following: 2 large Phillips screws
under the arm rest, 1 behind the door pull and one small Phillips screw on the
plastic piece behind the door opener. I also removed the triangle piece that
covers the mounting screws for the side mirror. Lift up the inner door panel and
pull out.
7. Remove the door opener limiter pin (tap it up) and the (4) 12mm bolts holding the
door. No need to mark the hinges if you take the bolts off on the door side. They
bolt right back up with no adjustment. Takes 2 people. Use gloves and rags to
hold up on the inside of the door openings. They are sharp.
8. Remove the door and carefully bring the grommet and 2 wiring harnesses through
the body hole.
9. Remove factory tape and install wire through grommets up towards the switch
area. I used green, 2 conductor speaker wire.
10. Perform a parallel splice into the previously located U and L wires and wrap with
electrical tape. I used friction tape for wrapping between the grommets.
11. Install door.
12. Wire up module. See diagram “Type B” (negative).
13. I installed the module with zip-ties as high as I could up and to the left to allow
the antenna wire to be run between the dash and the door up to the bottom left
corner of my windshield. Thought this might help with the remote’s range
distance.
14. One last note for simplicity and other reasons, I only wired up the lock and unlock
part of the system. I chose not the even touch the starter immobilizer and
parking light confirmation.
January 2011 025 resized package and receipt.JPG
January 2011 015 resized connector.JPG
January 2011 023 control box resized.JPG

Last edited:
Here's a few more pics, first is a parallel splice done about 6 inches below the door lock/unlock connector before taping, second shows the grommets and taping of with friction tape, last one shows the work in progress.
January 2011 013 wire splices.JPG
January 2011 010.JPG
January 2011 with 75 resized.JPG

Last edited:
Funny, that looks like a kit in my kick panel installed by a PO. Wish I had the FOB. Mine also has a mystery button the driver kick cover.

Hows it working for you?

Funny, that looks like a kit in my kick panel installed by a PO. Wish I had the FOB. Mine also has a mystery button the driver kick cover.

Hows it working for you?

Just installed it last night. So far the remotes and locks are performing perfectly.

Hmm...don't think you need to do all that work and remove your driver's door just to install something to lock and unlock your door. The lock wire is single, but you need to supply ground to two unlock wires due to the child lock...IIRC. I got all the info I needed from the12volt.com to install my $49 ebay car alarm...and the door locks work fine. Just tap into the wires in the loom inside the kick panel.

Hmm...don't think you need to do all that work and remove your driver's door just to install something to lock and unlock your door. The lock wire is single, but you need to supply ground to two unlock wires due to the child lock...IIRC. I got all the info I needed from the12volt.com to install my $49 ebay car alarm...and the door locks work fine. Just tap into the wires in the loom inside the kick panel.

Did not know that. Do you have any pics or info on which two wires that the ground needs to be supplied to for the unlock. That could help others out in the future.

Did not know that. Do you have any pics or info on which two wires that the ground needs to be supplied to for the unlock. That could help others out in the future.

I don't have pics...maybe someone else remembers what colour it is...

If someone hasn't replied by the time I get back from work tonight, I'll do some digging.

For reference...but it doesn't include the childproof lock unlock wire info...
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/alarmdetail/2091.html

The ground wire is white with a black stripe.

great job on that install dude, has anyone done remote start?? bc i live up in flagstaff and its pretty cold in the morning and night and day. so pretty much all winter long haha

Summit - How did you get it to work without using the blue / orange stripe and the blue / yellow strip with diodes? I got one and attempted to install it at luch but am going to have to get diodes and finish up after work.

remac226, see my second pic. That's the door lock switch connector. I only tapped into the two wires coming from that switch. Did not use diodes which you may be needing if you tap into after the door control module. Mine is a 92 and is working perfectly.

Last edited:
I got it all working. I tapped into the harness in the drivers kick panel. There are two unlock wires blue / yellow stripe and blue / orange strip. The blue / orange strip is the child safety lock wire and because of that you have to use the diodes. All the instructions are on the Bul Dog Security website. Also hooked up my parking light flash. Aside from the extra trips to Radio Shack for the diodes ($.99) whole thing took about 45minutes to install. I will post some pics of the wires and locations in the kick pannel when I pull it back apart this weekend to pull some wire for another amp.

Sounds good, which wire/s did you hook up for the parking light flash? I'm thinking that would be nice to confirm when I lock or unlock.

It was only one green wire in the loom right before it goes through the firewall. You have to use a relay to do it. I will take a pic of where the wire is and how to wire the relay up later today or tomorrow am and post it for you. I wanted the flash to know they actually did something as well. By the way, GREAT find on this keyless setup!

Thanks, Remac226...Blue/Orange was what I was going to say, but I wasn't sure as it's been a while.

I connected the (+) output for the parking light flash from my alarm module directly to the (+) wire for the parking light on the driver's side.

That would work for the lights. On these keyless modules it is a neg output for the lights so you have to use the relay. When you hit the button it throws the relay to ground and lets it send power to the parking lights. This thing really works well. This has got to make the list for best mods under $100!

Bump on this... trying to install now and i would l8ke to use the connector inside the truck. There are 3 connectors, which connector c9btains the 2 correct wires.

remac226 on post #13 tapped into the "There are two unlock wires blue / yellow stripe and blue / orange strip. The blue / orange strip is the child safety lock wire and because of that you have to use the diodes."

I didn't tap into the kick panel I went into the door. So not sure if I can help except for what remac226 posted.

Only issue I have had is it works perfectly if I only use the remote. If I use the power door lock switch inside then I have found the remote doesn't work sometimes. Not sure why. So we just use the remote to lock and unlock the doors.

Got a Bulldog system from my brother a few weeks ago and decided to throw it in the old girl.
Put the whole shebang inside the driver's door and mounted the module right to the door lock module with some tie wraps. Ran the antenna up the door and taped it to the plastic. Cut all wires to the proper length and tapped them right into the OEM door module connector harness.
No need for additional wiring or anything else. 1 lock and 1 unlock wire, constant +12 and ground.

Works a dream with good distance from the truck. Finally breaking into the 20th century ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom