2021 GX460 NYC Daily Driver — CarPlay, Remote Start & Must-Do Mods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Nov 28, 2021
Threads
15
Messages
80
Location
Brooklyn, NY
Hello all. Not new to the forum or Lexus trucks. I have a few rigs, including an LX470, and recently picked up a 2021 GX460 with 40k miles to use as my NYC daily.

I plan to keep this one simple, comfortable, and reliable, but I have a few questions.

First is CarPlay. Since the ’21 didn’t come with it, I bought the Phoenix Automotive Android setup. Before I tear into the dash, I’m curious what everyone’s experience has been. Any regrets, quirks, install tips, microphone/call quality issues, or things I should know beforehand?

Second, is there a good way to extend the range of the factory remote start?

I’m also planning ceramic tint mainly for heat rejection and will oil the undercarriage before winter to stay ahead of the Northeast salt.

The truck came with a 100k bumper-to-bumper warranty and brand-new tires, so mechanically I’m leaving it alone and just enjoying it. When these tires are done, I’ll probably go a little bigger, but nothing crazy.

Basically, I'm looking to make it a solid, comfortable, reliable NYC daily that can handle road trips when needed and interested to hear what you guys would do first or anything else worth adding.

IMG_5626.webp


IMG_5625.webp


IMG_5627.webp
 
I’m on my second GX460, first one was sadly totaled. Anyway…in the previous GX I had the Hamilton Auto unit installed. It does SO much more than just CarPlay. I *loved* it. As soon as I can afford it I’m putting another in the current GX.

 
Hello all. Not new to the forum or Lexus trucks. I have a few rigs, including an LX470, and recently picked up a 2021 GX460 with 40k miles to use as my NYC daily.

I plan to keep this one simple, comfortable, and reliable, but I have a few questions.

First is CarPlay. Since the ’21 didn’t come with it, I bought the Phoenix Automotive Android setup. Before I tear into the dash, I’m curious what everyone’s experience has been. Any regrets, quirks, install tips, microphone/call quality issues, or things I should know beforehand?

Second, is there a good way to extend the range of the factory remote start?

I’m also planning ceramic tint mainly for heat rejection and will oil the undercarriage before winter to stay ahead of the Northeast salt.

The truck came with a 100k bumper-to-bumper warranty and brand-new tires, so mechanically I’m leaving it alone and just enjoying it. When these tires are done, I’ll probably go a little bigger, but nothing crazy.

Basically, I'm looking to make it a solid, comfortable, reliable NYC daily that can handle road trips when needed and interested to hear what you guys would do first or anything else worth adding.

View attachment 4219842

View attachment 4219843

View attachment 4219844
Woo, a semi-local! Howdy from the southwest corner of CT

No experience with the Phoenix kit, but the Hamilton full replacement has been good to me.

Are you planning to off-road it at all, or just use it around the city and surrounding areas? If the latter, I'd keep it as close to stock as possible and just drive it
 
Is the Phoenix a screen replacement styled like the 2022-2023 factory screen, or just a "conversion" kit that utilizes the existing screen?

I have the Hamilton conversion but I would assume most of the conversion modules are all the same. If yours is a conversion module then:

Despite what the directions may say you do not have to remove anything from the upper dash - just the top of the console / shifter assembly and then you remove the factory stereo controls just to get enough room for fingers in behind it. There's a few wiring connectors to detach and reinstall and really that's about it for installation. The whole process is maybe 90 minutes.

For a mostly stock setup I think you are on the right track. Get a good entertainment and nav setup with aftermarket CP/AA. Maybe add some more / better chargers for stuff since the factory USBs are more for data transfer and not for charging. Depending on your family hauling needs or lack of, maybe consider a 3rd row delete as it saves weight and gets you a significantly larger (taller) cargo area. Dashcam, maybe, for protection from NYC drivers? Window tint (EDIT, I see that's on your list already, n/m). That's probably about all I would do short of a full build.

Replacement 2.4a USB install: GX460 & GXOR B.S. thread - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/gx460-gxor-b-s-thread.1315456/page-147#post-16130449

3rd row delete (pics only, not install notes): GX460 3rd Row Platform Options - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/gx460-3rd-row-platform-options.1334739/page-2#post-15646371
 
Last edited:
I already picked up a high-output dual USB-C charger for the 12V cigarette lighter, so I’m planning to use that for charging rather than starting another project with the factory USB ports. With wireless CarPlay on the Phoenix unit, I figure that should cover most of my needs. Unless there’s a real advantage to replacing the factory USBs, I’m going to follow the rare and unfamiliar strategy of leaving something alone that already works.

If you think anything is worth adding or changing, I’m all ears. I’ve been driving the GX locally for about four months now and absolutely love it. I’m in construction, mostly in Manhattan, so having something this capable that rides this smoothly, can deal with NYC streets, and still has Toyota reliability is pretty hard to beat.

Now I just need to resist turning a perfectly good daily driver into another project (My LX is keeping me really busy in that regard).
 
The main benefit in my opinion, and the reason that I did it, was to have two essentially factory looking USB ports that were wired directly to battery power so I could charge items without the ignition on. If that's not an issue for you then probably no need to do it.
 
Regarding more distance for the keyfob, try holding the keyfob under your chin and pressing the button, e.g.: lock/unlock, start engine, emergency.
It's not a joke!
How It Works: The trick relies on basic radio frequency physics rather than magic:
  • Your Head Becomes an Antenna: The human brain and skull are filled with fluids and water molecules, which are excellent conductors. When you place the key fob against your chin, the electromagnetic waves from the remote capacitively couple with the fluids in your head. [1, 2, 3]
  • Signal Amplification: Your head essentially acts as a larger, ad-hoc antenna. This shapes and focus the radio waves, increasing the amplitude and allowing the signal to travel farther than the tiny antenna inside the plastic fob could manage on its own. [1, 2, 3]
  • The Height Advantage: On platforms like Car Talk, some users also point out a simpler variable: raising the fob to your chin naturally elevates the transmitter. This gives it a clearer, unobstructed line of sight to your vehicle over the top of other parked cars. [1, 2]
To see a live demonstration of how this trick is tested and how much extra distance it can provide across a parking lot, you can watch this quick test:

https://www.facebook.com/TheFamilyH...d-can-increase-its-range-we/1701892584348817/
 
Back
Top Bottom