2017 GX 460 batery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This morning the GX refused to start, typical symptoms of a low battery. Connected to a battery charger and after a few hours it started normally. Battery is original Lexus, possibly the original. The sign battery on the side " 8 year warranty". Is it worth dealing with Lexus? A new Lexus battery with 2 years left on a prorated battery will most likely cost more than purchasing a new Interstate or Bosch. Thanks

I've always gone with Odyssey batteries in all my vehicles, but again, my wife had a 4x4 Taco crew-cab, mine is set up for overlanding, so our vehicles are more geared towards adventure use.
Odyssey are great batteries but not cheap. I would avoid Optima batteries.
And if you have the budget, look into lithium batteries. They are becoming more popular, but still very ($$$$) expensive.

I've always gone with Odyssey batteries in all my vehicles, but again, my wife had a 4x4 Taco crew-cab, mine is set up for overlanding, so our vehicles are more geared towards adventure use.
Did you figure out a way to raise the alternator charging voltage on the GX that Odysseys need (>14.4V)? On my FJ I was able to use a Dirty Parts voltage booster, but I am not aware of a similar option for my 2018 GX.

Reactions: r2m
I have seen this suggested by many

I have seen this suggested by many

Thanks! $80 though, ouch.

Did you figure out a way to raise the alternator charging voltage on the GX that Odysseys need (>14.4V)? On my FJ I was able to use a Dirty Parts voltage booster, but I am not aware of a similar option for my 2018 GX.
I was never aware. I've been running Odyssey batteries since the '90's and never had an issue.
Although that is a good idea!

I tested and installed car batteries for a few years as a teenager in the 2000's.

From that I took:

1. Certain OEM batteries are legendary, like the Panasonics that came in Japanese vehicles. I don't know if they were made in Japan or elsewhere in Asia but they are ultimate tier, the true 10 year batteries that no replacement will ever live up to. I don't know if they are still so good nowadays, especially since my 2014 GX already had a replacement in it when I bought it. I also doubt Lexus distributes them as replacements in the US, they probably have an NA sourced model which isn't the same.

2. I used to joke that if a customer comes in with an Interstate you know it's the alternator cause Interstate batteries don't go bad, and I was only half joking. We didn't sell Interstate either so it's not like I was just drinking our sales kool aid either.

3. There's no point in AGM unless the battery is expected to experience some kind of rotation that would cause a spill or extreme vibration (no washboard roads don't count). There is nothing wrong with the traditional flooded battery design even for extreme use unless the use case contradicts it, and nearly all vehicle uses don't.

I buy Interstates now, flooded. I like the green top white/translucent side ones best but they don't have those for every battery size. Costco sells Interstate now and I worry that standards might have been compromised to make that deal but I've been buying them and not had a problem yet.

I buy Interstates now, flooded. I like the green top white/translucent side ones best but they don't have those for every battery size. Costco sells Interstate now and I worry that standards might have been compromised to make that deal but I've been buying them and not had a problem yet.

Time will tell I guess... I put one of their 27F in my 460

screen_shot_2021_04_12_at_1_41_57_pm_cc331e70d96d7662e6148a42b04cb6df95f543f4.png

It does appear to have lower stats than the MT-27

Just a heads up there are guys selling the diode with a fuse receptacle on ebay for $25, for the low profile mini blade fuse like the GX uses. You can DIY one, but for that price I'd just buy one. And it's nice to still retain the fuse instead of just swapping in the diode.

That's just insane. Around here, 2 years is great battery life, due to the summertime heat. Costco stopped selling Interstates because they had to warranty so many of them. I stick with Costco usually, and take 'em in at the first sign of slow start. Seriously, 18 months to 30 months is about my average. I always carry a LiIon jump start pack, too. In the AZ heat batteries are a consumable, no sense getting all fancy...

Yeah I've heard heat is a battery killer. That's not so much a problem in Minnesota, though. I can usually get 5 years out of a regular battery.

That's just insane. Around here, 2 years is great battery life, due to the summertime heat. Costco stopped selling Interstates because they had to warranty so many of them. I stick with Costco usually, and take 'em in at the first sign of slow start. Seriously, 18 months to 30 months is about my average. I always carry a LiIon jump start pack, too. In the AZ heat batteries are a consumable, no sense getting all fancy...
Do you check the acid levels? You pop the caps off and top them up with distilled water. It's usually ignored in other climates but the water might be evaporating there.

I have always run the typical auto parts store batteries. Advance, Auto Zone, O'Reilly's, hell, even WalMart.....they have stores all over the country so if there is ever a warranty issue I am pretty well covered. I usually get the mid grade battery and will generally get 5 years out of them if not more. I also don't run anything that would put more strain on a battery like a fridge. Having said all that, if I spend $100 - $150 on a battery and have to replace it once or twice in 10 years and you spend $300 on a battery that lasts that long it's a wash anyway. I just don't trust that I would get 10 years on one of those $300 batteries....... :meh:

Do you check the acid levels? You pop the caps off and top them up with distilled water. It's usually ignored in other climates but the water might be evaporating there.
Yep.

I’ve been running an X2 power 27f for 3 or so years now, no booster mod and no issues. I must be doing something wrong.

Running dual odysseys for two years so far with no booster mod and no issues either… my understanding is that not getting a full charge might effect the life expectancy by 1 year, so 5 years instead of 6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom