2016 Trail Schedule (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wednesday Jan. 6th., 6:00 pm at Rudys,

Bring maps, books, and your ideas.

Last edited:
Thursday is only good day for me this week. Flexible on time though.

what about the next week, say the 12, 13, or 14? I'm good to go all those days any time. The 7th I'm on graveyards, so its hard for me to make it up there and get back to sleep before shift.

Okay, was able to change to this Wed. 6th at 6 pm.

Bring some great ideas Kyle ;)

Thanks to Leon for posting this, and Kyle and Todd for lending their input.

Alright. Here's what we came up with last night. Dates subject to change if need be, we just defaulted to the third weekend to make it easy.

January 16th: Annual Shubarth run.
Be there or be square. As much a trail run as it is a social event for getting caught up with everyone for the new year. Bring all of your warm clothes, good footwear, and your recovery gear. Chains recommended, though not required- we need volunteers to get stuck and let us practice recoveries. :)

February 20th: China Wall.
No surprise there. Another annual favorite.

March 19th: The Gulches.
This one will depend on the snow fall. I'm hoping it will be do-able. One of my favorite years had me and Chuck down Metberry in over knee deep snow, so we ain't scared.

April 16th: Shelf Road / Phantom Canyon.
This just re-opened, been a few years since we've taken the loop. We'll have to get Ryan to show us where that side spur loop is. Never been up that.

May 14th: Medano Pass.
Fantastic trail. Maybe some other stuff if time permits. Bishop Castle? Hermit Pass? Overnight?

June 18th: Club Choice.
This month stumped us all, so we left it open. Absolutely no telling what the snow and weather will be like. We all pretty much agreed that the high mountain stuff will most likely still be snowed in. Just have to see when we get there.

July 16th: Schofield Pass/Devil's Punchbowl/Leadking basin.
Definitely in my top five trails. Devil's Punchbowl ain't as bad as it sounds. :skull: We will be leaving early, probably best run as an overnight trip. If we can leave early enough, there are amazing camp sites and a waterfall at Leadking Basin. We just put this trip on here to make Travis Fitzgerald sad he moved to Missouri.... :hillbilly:

August 20th: Close trip: Argentine Pass
Luke will be leading a trip to Argentine Pass the 20th. I haven't been yet, so this one is on my radar for the year. Possibly other trails on this trip as well.

August 25-29th
: Far trip: San Juan Mountains
Kyle Mosley will be leading a trip through the San Juan Mountains the 25th-29th. The San Juan Mountains are the epitome of Colorado wheeling. Whether you have or haven't experienced this place, this will be a great trip. Kyle likes to hike, so bring your hiking shoes!

September 17th: Mosquito Pass.
Talked about taking Mosquito first day, they heading up toward Browns Lake/Antero the second day. Also talked about Wheeler lake the second day. Have to hash that out when the time comes.

October 15th: Reynolds/Saran Wrap and Eagle Rock.
Another yearly favorite. The Wrap is a suspension testing twister of moguls. Eagle Rock has big rocks that will let you know where all your low hanging hard parts are... ;)

November 19th: Rampart Area.
Planning on 323/Winding Stairs/324 loop. They call it "Ice Cave Road" on Traildamage.com if you want to check it out there. Depending on time, I know other fun routes as well. My stomping grounds.

December: First two weekends:
Christmas Tree Forest Service Volunteering. Bring your recovery gear, and lets get busy rescuing minivans and crossovers!...

Don't see the trail you wanted to run? Can't gripe if you weren't there... :cool:

Last edited:
Guys - Sorry I didn't make it to this planning session. Looks like an awesome year of wheeling! I think I may have said this before but I am planning to lead an expedition from Colorado Springs to Salt Lake City this year in conjunction with Cruiser Fest (usually September). I want to take a more southern route. The basic thought is to go south from COS > Great Sand Dunes > San Juans > Paradox Valley > La Salle Mountains > Moab (UT) > Reservation Ridge (UT) > Salt Lake. I haven't wheeled in the San Juans and would love and appreciate input about any and all of these locations. I will likely do some recon trips this summer if anyone wants to tag along.

I would also like to see more folks from CLC come out to Cruiser Fest this year. Cruiser Fest 2016 hasn't been finalized but generally occurs around Labor Day. General concept is 4-5 days of overland expedition style wheeling leading up to the final event in and around Salt Lake City. Looks like a lot of the trails listed above will also be on the expedition which is great.

I have a field exercise coming up at the end of this month and am going to Disney World with the family in the third week of February, but would love to also hold a planning meeting to get your thoughts and experiences. I'll look at the calendar and put something out in the coming weeks.

JB

Something else to think about...from Rising Sun...

Chasing the Cumbres and Toltec October 6-8th, 2016
Where: Chama, New Mexico.

When: October 6-8th 2016.

This run was a lot of fun last year. So Dan and I are planning to do it again this year, this time when the aspens are at there peak.

The plan is to chase the train Thursday out of Chama, this time we will be attempting Apache Canyon. This leads to Osier via dirt roads. Don't know how much of the train we will get to see but the hope is to meet the train in Osier for lunch. Friday we will ride the train and Saturday Chase the train again. This time from the Antonito side. Hope to leave a bit earlier in the morning on Saturday, this will allow us to get further towards Antonito on dirt, and thus more time chasing the train, which should be moving a bit slower with more passengers for the fall aspens.

As we get closer, we'll get a group reservation set to ride the train on Friday.

Chama has some of the best aspens i've seen to date.

Chasing the Cumbres and Toltec October 6-8th, 2016 - Rising Sun Member Forums

April 16th: Shelf Road / Phantom Canyon.
This just re-opened, been a few years since we've taken the loop. We'll have to get Ryan to show us where that side spur loop is. Never been up that.

Is that side loop the one Traildamage calls "The Bank"?

I believe so. Something about a campground too? Maybe?

The place called "The Bank" is a BLM campground plus a technical climbing area. It is right where Shelf Road exits the narrow part of the canyon on the downstream end. The 4WD trail is a loop. The north end is on the same road as the campground.

I'm located in Canon City. I tried the trail from the south end last fall. I was by myself and chickened out and turned back about half way thru at a very steep section with loose rock and some big steps. My FJ60 does not have lockers, and I'm pretty conservative when it comes to obstacles.

Yeah, it's the loop from The Banks campground and climbing area. Doug and another tried it last time but the main group didn't due to kids and timing concerns. But I'd love to scout it out again. Pick Doug's memory for details. That is a warm early spring campground to.

Yeah, it's the loop from The Banks campground and climbing area. Doug and another tried it last time but the main group didn't due to kids and timing concerns. But I'd love to scout it out again. Pick Doug's memory for details. That is a warm early spring campground to.
Some nice dispersed camping up near the top of the loop.

Is the Gulches on the 19th still on? Not sure if we talk about these trips in this thread or if a new one is started as the dates get closer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom