2016 Offical 28th Annual Rubithon thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Excellent Rubithon as expected!!!

ReddingCruiser, we missed you every time we cut through your usual campsite.

Great turnout, most excellent weather, lots of mosquitoes means we had a wet winter, some of the best food yet and well orchestrated and executed event by Chairman Eric Agee and his committee volunteers!

There will be many stories but I want to congratulate Mudrak for his induction into the TLCA Hall of Fame at the event by President Ross Woody. Cannot think of a man more deserving. Congrats Gary.

Thanks to everyone who worked to make this another fantastic experience on the Rubicon Trail!

@TRT2, thanks for the kind words, you made my wife's day! Bummed doesn't even begin to describe how we feel about not making it to the Rubithon.:crybaby:

Still haven't found a definite source for the problem (a 'smoking gun') but have narrowed the possibilities.

Congratulations to Gary, huge honor for a deserving man.

There's always next year.

Another awesome adventure! Thanks again to the leadership who pulled this whole thing together, and specifically to the Wagon Run committee for their assistance. My second time through was a lot less stressful than the first! I look forward to the challenges and rewards of leading the Wagon Run next year.

I also wanted to ask if anyone lost an extended capacity battery for a Baofeng hand held radio as we found one and I have it. If so, PM me with details.

See you next year, and Happy Trails!

HUGE thanks to Eric and everyone else to make this an amazing event. STILL nursing skeeter bites. Ugh. We were held up three times by different rigs all breaking the RF grunion bearing. The last one climbing out Caddy Sunday afternoon. That was fun. But it is what it is. Please carry parts for known weak links. My buddy home brewed up a replacement using big fender washers. Hoping for a full recovery for Star's busted ankle. Thanks again!

@TRT2, thanks for the kind words, you made my wife's day! Bummed doesn't even begin to describe how we feel about not making it to the Rubithon.:crybaby:

Still haven't found a definite source for the problem (a 'smoking gun') but have narrowed the possibilities.

Congratulations to Gary, huge honor for a deserving man.

There's always next year.
I know on the race rig, we had to do a dedicated line directly to the battery for the ECM. One more idea

I know on the race rig, we had to do a dedicated line directly to the battery for the ECM. One more idea

Great idea, but I already tried it. One good thing about this whole mess is along with my new engine harness I now have a completely rewired chassis/body harness with extra wires for future accessories.

The last thing to dive into is the distributor. Some research on the Internet points to symptoms consistent with a intermittent issue I have always thought was either fuel or ICM related. Turns out a bad pickup coil in the distributor will produce the same symptoms. This, combined with worn bearings/bushings which can cause arcing and mess with the ECM. My current theory is the extra voltage during charging cycles is compounding the problem or causing the defective pickup coil to send faulty signals to the ECM, shutting it down.

f70326b873a23563816376039c72ed22.jpg

Rubithon was a blast. Glad I installed the 3:11 T-case gears a few days before Rubithon. Already planning mods for next year.

f70326b873a23563816376039c72ed22.jpg

Rubithon was a blast. Glad I installed the 3:11 T-case gears a few days before Rubithon. Already planning mods for next year.
Did you install them yourself? I have mine waiting to go in but my DD and finding time to do so is proving to be a pain. I did the 4.7's in my 84pu, wondering the difficulty of install. Read the install directions from Marlin and it looks pretty straight forward, and I've already don't the PT kit myself as well.

Anyone know Ed from Paradise Ca with a fj40 buggy? He loaned me a fuel pump for a TBI that I'm trying to get back to him.

Did you install them yourself? I have mine waiting to go in but my DD and finding time to do so is proving to be a pain. I did the 4.7's in my 84pu, wondering the difficulty of install. Read the install directions from Marlin and it looks pretty straight forward, and I've already don't the PT kit myself as well.

Yeah, I installed the gears myself. It wasn't to hard, but you must have a press for the bearings. Reinstalling the gears is the hardest part just because they are a little heavy. 3:11 were great on Runithon. I ran Little Sluice with no problems.

Yeah, I installed the gears myself. It wasn't to hard, but you must have a press for the bearings. Reinstalling the gears is the hardest part just because they are a little heavy. 3:11 were great on Runithon. I ran Little Sluice with no problems.
Did you pull your case? Drop the x-mbr?

Anyone know Ed from Paradise Ca with a fj40 buggy? He loaned me a fuel pump for a TBI that I'm trying to get back to him.
I don't, do you know his last name, I can look it up for you if he was registered.

I'm embarrased to have to ask, but I seem to have lost a name. Does any one know who one the newest rig award this year?

I don't, do you know his last name, I can look it up for you if he was registered.

Last name would have been good to get huh? I had planned on dropping it off at his tow rig but a series of breakdowns left me scrambling to get off the trail.

Slim chance but maybe I'll see him at the Petaluma swap meet.

Eric, shoot me a PM and I'll provide David's contact info. --tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom