2016+ LC TSB for Rough Shifting Transmission is out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 16 stalled yesterday when in reverse and after that had trouble engaging gear when in D or R. It was a weird temporary thing that went away shortly after. Just in case I went to dealer to inspect codes etc..

While checking things up I have been told that that there is TSB for rough shifting which they have applied as well. The shifting felt good before but now is really smooth. If you have 16+ for sure stop by a local dealership to apply the sw patch.

Any chance of a TSB number? Service depts. can be clueless about TSBs and it helps to have specifics.

I'd like to know the number too so I can ask for it specifically. I don't know if this is the same problem, but when I take my foot off the gas and coast toward a red light and then hit the gas again if the light turns green my LC seems to be confused and can't figure out what to do. It takes a few seconds and then clumsily shifts into gear and starts to move.

Any chance of a TSB number? Service depts. can be clueless about TSBs and it helps to have specifics.

If it's truly a TSB, you should be able to look it up by logging in to toyota.com (using your VIN, etc.).

Your n
I'd like to know the number too so I can ask for it specifically. I don't know if this is the same problem, but when I take my foot off the gas and coast toward a red light and then hit the gas again if the light turns green my LC seems to be confused and can't figure out what to do. It takes a few seconds and then clumsily shifts into gear and starts to move.
You're not alone. This is what I keep telling the dealer after my first 1k, 5k then recently when I hit 10k miles. Same clueless response "it's just a big truck and trying to think what gear is appropriate" and I am like "but it feels like it's confused and sometimes it's harsh when it engages into another gear". Mechanics "normal"

If this software update is indeed out I would like to to take it back have them do the update.

If it's truly a TSB, you should be able to look it up by logging in to toyota.com (using your VIN, etc.).

In my experience with Honda, Toyota, and Subaru TSBs, they are not available on the owner's sites or through the VIN generally. I think those manufacturers don't intend to apply them to every vehicle, only those with owner's complaints. If the TSBs were readily available, everyone would be demanding them. I know some TSBs are simply procedure advice for service depts and don't affect vehicle operation. Only formal recall information is readibly available. I would speculate the effect of not making TSBs available generally to owners is dealer service depts have a hard time finding out about them too.

A quick Google search shows this TSB turning up also in Highlander and Sienna forums for their 2017 models that I guess got the same transmission? They're reporting good results post-TSB. Less indecisiveness finding a gear, more power. I'll be heading in asap to get this done.

A quick Google search shows this TSB turning up also in Highlander and Sienna forums for their 2017 models that I guess got the same transmission? They're reporting good results post-TSB. Less indecisiveness finding a gear, more power. I'll be heading in asap to get this done.

Not the same transmission, but maybe the same transmission software...

I was running errands and was in the vicinity of my local Toyota dealer, so I stopped in. T-SB-0209-17 (dated April 11, 2017) is real, but it applies to 2016 LC's with VIN's before JTMCY7AJ#G4048393. Mine is a 2017 with a later VIN and already had this TSB applied in the factory. Hope this helps...

That helps a lot. We'll be hitting up our dealership next week.

I got the update on my 16 a few months ago and definitely noticed a difference. I took it in complaining about the shifting and they said there was a software update. Much better now.

Thanks! My 2016 is a "lower" VIN so I will be taking it in.

Wife had the update done today on our '16 and has been really happy with the change. Very smooth shifting now.

I had this and the Nav update done recently on my 16. Ive always noticed that the truck shifted rough. But I really can't notice the difference since the update. Anyone know how to check to see if it was really done? I don't particularly trust that the dealer did it.

Tranmission TSB installed yesterday. Thanks @luke27617 for the heads up on this! Noticeably better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom