2016+ LC LED headlight opinions (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I saw the 2016 refresh I thought it had HID projectors, but then I read the product spec:
  • Projector-beam Light Emitting Diode (LED) low and high beam headlights with auto level control and auto on/off feature, headlight cleaners and integrated Land Cruiser logo

• Integrated LED Daytime Running Lights (DRLs)

• Integrated LED fog lights

• LED accent lighting with on/off feature

• LED stop lights and light tube taillights with vortex generators and integrated Land Cruiser logo

2016+ owners, how do you like your headlights? How are they compared to HID projectors?

Thanks!

Best headlights I've ever had. Very wide range, very long range, and very bright. I do a lot of rural driving and a bit in the woods on the farm. I don't think I need aftermarket lights at all.

I had LED lights on my BMW prior to getting my LC and these are an order of magnitude better than BMW's.

Best headlights I've ever had. Very wide range, very long range, and very bright. I do a lot of rural driving and a bit in the woods on the farm. I don't think I need aftermarket lights at all.

I had LED lights on my BMW prior to getting my LC and these are an order of magnitude better than BMW's.

I agree with @LALC. Very good headlights. Put out great light. Interior LEDs are also a nice upgrade.

One of the reasons I purchased was the updated front and rear look and really do like the LED package. If there is any gripe it is the auto on/off feature of the high beam; it is not the best. My wife's MB E350 has the LED lighting package and the auto on/off is much better design as its sensor reacts better to upcoming traffic and other lighting situations. The LC's sensor seems to "overreact"...

Love the 2016+ lights. I’ve got a VERY nice dual HID projector setup in my 100 and these hold their own pretty good for OEM jobs. They are indeed on another planet compared to the lighting Toyota has typicaly cursed land cruisers with.

Good light, but the extremely sharp cut-off on the low beams can be disconcerting on a bumpy road (of which we have a lot in Michigan). I wonder what it looks like to oncoming traffic to be “flashed” by the low beams as that cut-off bounces up and down?

By far the best i've had. very bright and wide/far. I've had BMW, Lexus, and Honda LED. The LC is by far the best.

My only complaint is the sensitivity of the auto high beams. Our neighborhood does not have street lights, only mailbox lights. The system seems to pick up the mailbox lights sporadically. This causes lots of on/off flashes while driving the .5 mile through the neighborhood. We shut the feature off unless on rural roads or interstate.

The best I ever had. With auto high beams the setup is great. High beams are as well LED so works really well without changing of color on the road when switching.

Agree with comments above - it's actually surprising that Toyota actually blessed this Cruiser with such nice light tech this time around. On par with my Audi LED system. Adding extra off road light bars seems unnecessary, almost more for the aesthetic than for needing to add more forward light for driving. I don't bother with the automatic high beams. No vehicle I have ever owned has managed to do that concept right. I don't care for that function.

As far as overall light package, however, I have a couple of complaints: I wish they made the DRL function on the LED accent light, not the low power through the low beams (like overseas LC200's), and it would be nice to have LED corner lamps, turn signals, etc. Also 1-touch turn signals for lane changes.

Agree with comments above - it's actually surprising that Toyota actually blessed this Cruiser with such nice light tech this time around. On par with my Audi LED system. Adding extra off road light bars seems unnecessary, almost more for the aesthetic than for needing to add more forward light for driving. I don't bother with the automatic high beams. No vehicle I have ever owned has managed to do that concept right. I don't care for that function.

As far as overall light package, however, I have a couple of complaints: I wish they made the DRL function on the LED accent light, not the low power through the low beams (like overseas LC200's), and it would be nice to have LED corner lamps, turn signals, etc. Also 1-touch turn signals for lane changes.
Two requests I couldn't agree with more - use that accent light as the DRL and 1 touch. Life would be near prefect in the LC

I have converted turn signals, license plate lights, reverse to LEDs already as all of those were overlooked by Toyota (vleds.com). DRL is the only one left but seems non-US may have slightly different set up as the power plug is different, so that is one thing I will never be able to correct.

HID lights put out some heat eliminating icing up, heard some people complaining about their LED’s icing up and hurting visibility, anyone having that problem?

HID lights put out some heat eliminating icing up, heard some people complaining about their LED’s icing up and hurting visibility, anyone having that problem?
I have had several cars with LED ligths - no issues.

Personally no issues. You can always spray them with headlight washers if needed

Thanks all for the feedback. I'm glad to hear how good the lighting is on the 2016+. I'm strongly considering waiting for one of these as I really do like the refreshed styling front and rear.

I just learned something new. That is strange. I would have thought the same thing, that the LED accent bar would serve as the DRLs. Looks like someone created a thread about that as well:
DRL function on 2016/2017 200 Series

EDIT: Seems like this was your thread

I wonder if anyone has figured out a way to wire or change the DRL functionality to match overseas LC200s.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the feedback. I'm glad to hear how good the lighting is on the 2016+. I'm strongly considering waiting for one of these as I really do like the refreshed styling front and rear.

I just learned something new. That is strange. I would have thought the same thing, that the LED accent bar would serve as the DRLs. Looks like someone created a thread about that as well:
DRL function on 2016/2017 200 Series

EDIT: Seems like this was your thread

I wonder if anyone has figured out a way to wire or change the DRL functionality to match overseas LC200s.

I think US headlights have less powerful strip than overseas. Even if we enable the strip it will not be bright enough to be useful aa DRL. Another solution is to replace fog lights with JDM which have fog and DRL in one unit.

I think US headlights have less powerful strip than overseas. Even if we enable the strip it will not be bright enough to be useful aa DRL. Another solution is to replace fog lights with JDM which have fog and DRL in one unit.

2015 LX570 uses the LED strip as driving lights

Best headlights I have ever had. Better then my S8 and I thought those wouldn’t be topped. The brights are so bright that I would swear that you can hear the high beams when you flash them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom