DRL function on 2016/2017 200 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just took deliver of a 2017 Cruiser. Very pleased so far. Did notice that the daytime running lights did not operate as expected. I was expecting the thin LED strip to be on with the switch set to DRL as shown in these photo of the same vehicle or the Tacoma:
IMG_5244.png
IMG_5245.png
IMG_5250.png

Instead, when the headlight switch is set to DRL, all I get is the low beams lit at an even lower brightness than normal low beam and the LED strip remains off. The manual describe this LED strip as a "parking lamp" and it turns on when the switch is put to the parking lamp position or low/high beam position. Is this correct? The pictures above seem misleading. If so, anyone know a mod to have the DRL activate the LED strip only and leave the low beams off?

Also notably missing from a vehicle at this price point: button-activated rear upper hatch close and soft-close doors.

Excited to get started with my build though!

Yep, those were my comments a year ago. Not having electric hatch when it comes on 20k rav4 and in other regions standard is embarrassing.

LEDs. Your assessment is correct. Pictures you are seeing are from different regions (notice different wheels not he first picture). Also couple other short cuts Toyota took you may have not noticed yet. Everything is LED now, but they left license plate with regular bulbs. I have converted all non-led to leds so happy now, but still would like change DRL to the strip vs. lower version of low beam. I have connected through computer to the system but don't see an option for it, so looks like it is some electric component/relay US gets. As well question if other regions strip is more powerful when in DRL mode. Parking mode is probably not bright enough for daytime.

Just turn your DRLs off in the vehicle customization menu in the NAV stack and run with your marker lights on. This will give you the led strip in the front, the front side markers and the tail lights without the low beams up front.

That's fair. I, on the other hand, hate automatic lights and perfer full control of my lighting. Auto high beams are growing on me though.

Has anyone been able to figure out how to make the LED strips function as the DRL? Maybe replace a relay?

FYI the 2018 have the electric upper rear tail gate

Yep, those were my comments a year ago. Not having electric hatch when it comes on 20k rav4 and in other regions standard is embarrassing.

LEDs. Your assessment is correct. Pictures you are seeing are from different regions (notice different wheels not he first picture). Also couple other short cuts Toyota took you may have not noticed yet. Everything is LED now, but they left license plate with regular bulbs. I have converted all non-led to leds so happy now, but still would like change DRL to the strip vs. lower version of low beam. I have connected through computer to the system but don't see an option for it, so looks like it is some electric component/relay US gets. As well question if other regions strip is more powerful when in DRL mode. Parking mode is probably not bright enough for daytime.

Can we get those double 5 star wheels here in the States/North America? Or do we have to find a friend somewhere else in the world to ship to us?

70869F32-82D3-4F84-BBCF-10B0BBFD2627.jpeg
There is a forum member here that can get them for you at $1k a piece. The 2018 Sequoia Limited 20s look the closest to me and a set of four can be found on eBay for $1k.

I called Toyota corporate today and they had no info to share on the DRL issue.

Does anyone know if the 2016 LX570 uses the LED light strip as DRL?

Switching the headlight relay seems like it would be the trick if the Lexus does use the LED strip. My Lexus GS uses the strip for DRL.

I called Toyota corporate today and they had no info to share on the DRL issue.

Does anyone know if the 2016 LX570 uses the LED light strip as DRL?

Switching the headlight relay seems like it would be the trick if the Lexus does use the LED strip. My Lexus GS uses the strip for DRL.

This is LX DRL.

BCB2D3E1-163F-4D20-BF42-2D5A0021271B.jpeg

I just noticed this today in my '18 LC, I was surprised that we didn't have the LED light strip, my Platinum Highlander ahd them. So to get them I need to spend $95k and get the LX. No thanks, I like my LC 200 a lot more it comes with Qi charger, cooler box, heated steering, heated/cooled front seats (LX gets heated/cooled rear seats as a package) and you have to pay extra on a Lexus to get those.

Bringing the thread to the top. As many in US I was as well frustrated that Toyota decided for US market to utilize headlights as DRL instead the horizontal strip like everywhere else in the world. I have been working with a supplier from China to get another module that goes in around fog lights (you can get them on ebay as well but much more expensive). There were some initial quality issues as one DRL didn't want to fire up but eventually got a replacement. I had to buy a wiring harness and as well a switch for inside the cabin. Here are some pictures how DRL system looks like. Personally I am really happy with the result and I hope they will work longterm. BTW they are dual LED (white and yellow) in case you want to use them as turn signals or as yellow DRL. I have not connected the yellow legs.
IMG_0998.JPG
IMG_1004.JPG
IMG_1007.JPG
IMG_1014.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom