2014 San Rafael Swell April 10-13 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jonharis

Adventure Imports
Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
All,
The dates are set for the clubs annual kickoff run! Plan on arriving at Lone Warrior April 10-13 for three days of great loop trails throughout the Swell.

Check out last year's trip thread for more information. Apparently we are not going to be doing the longer trip leading up to the swell as discussed at the last meeting unless anyone wants to leas one.

I'll post some more details soon, just wanted to get the ball rolling and start getting some feedback on who's coming. Should be another great trip!

Last year's thread with trip report on page 8. https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/2013-san-rafael-swell.670589

We will be base camping at Lone Warrior, see map. It is a sprawling primitive campsite in a nice area. Restrooms are about 5 minutes away at Swazey's Cabin. If anyone is interested in a Convoy on Thursday afternoon. I plan to leave mid afternoon for a leisurely drive to camp by dark.

As you know, temperatures fluxuate wildly. Bring warm clothes and sleeping gear for evening temps ranging from 10-40 degrees. It could be anywhere in that range. Day time temps should be in the 50s-60s.

Friday, we will spend the day exploring easy to moderate trails that are stock friendly. We will stop at several historic Uranium mines to explore.

We will be covering some moderately difficult trails including Devil's Racetrack on Saturday. That trail is not stock friendly for larger wagons and I would recommend good tires and sliders as a minimum. Stock FJCs/40s etc should be fine.

Sunday, we will break camp and head out via Black Dragon Canyon!

Hope to see you there!

Map courtesy Kurt Williams
SR_Swell_Pre_Run_Map.jpg

After the Mojave Road and Death Valley preceding this run I will enjoy a base camp. Let's bring lots of firewood. That place seems to have a long history of being too cold.

Added more info to the first post. Starting to get excited to get out in the desert!

I will be there sometime Thursday.

Bump! One more day. If you can not make it down on Thursday it's still worth joining us at Lone Warrior on Friday. We will depart for trails at about 10am each day. 11 on Sunday.

Have fun, hopefully we'll make it one of these days.

Would love to go, but it's Porsche tear down weekend. It finally goes into the body shop Tuesday for bare metal refurbishment.
Have fun and don't tear up too much equipment!

Looking forward to some pics and a trip report!

Turned out to be a great weekend. Fun rides to mine tours on Fruday, Saturday we did an out/back to the Devils Highway and Sunday we ran down Blackdragon Wash. On Friday a couple from from SLC joined us in a very nicely restored LC 45 pickup. Also new member Andrew wheeled with us on Friday in his stock 4Runner, but he has all the good stuff ordered. We even missed almost all of the bad weather that hit on Sunday.

I'd post photos but the iPhone app does not yet have access to the clubhouses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom